URGENT!! Prayer requests needed HORRIBLE WRECK

-
Update From Van:

Great News!!

Written 1 hour ago

Kim's neck surgery went well!! She went in about 11 AM, and the neurosurgeon called about 12:15 PM to say that the surgery was a success, and Kim is doing fine. I'm in her room in the ICU waiting for her to be brought back.

One surgery down, one left to go, then we can work on the road to recovery.

Big sigh of relief. Will do my daily update this evening.

Note: Times would be CST. I am relieved this went well.

Thank you for all the prayers and caring as well as the giving on the auction.

Updates posted as I get them otherwise I don't post on this thread.

She is ON the road to recovery right now. The leg is likely simple surgery. The leg would be out patient surgery if that was all was wrong with her.

Glad to hear the great news.

Update From Van:

Great News!!

Written 1 hour ago

Kim's neck surgery went well!! She went in about 11 AM, and the neurosurgeon called about 12:15 PM to say that the surgery was a success, and Kim is doing fine. I'm in her room in the ICU waiting for her to be brought back.

One surgery down, one left to go, then we can work on the road to recovery.

Big sigh of relief. Will do my daily update this evening.

Note: Times would be CST. I am relieved this went well.

Thank you for all the prayers and caring as well as the giving on the auction.

Updates posted as I get them otherwise I don't post on this thread.

Wonderful News Thank you for this wonderful update. Sending more prayers.

Great news!! The prayers continue from me and my family that things continue to improve

I just saw this and read the whole thing. Prayers sent from Stockbridge Georgia for all the family and friends.

A little advice for Van:

I went through this in 2008 when my son was in a motorcycle crash and was life flighted to the hospital in a coma so reading this really stirred up some emotions complete with the unsympathetic/aloof doctor.

It seems like you are having the same problem I had with grady Hospital in Atlanta-lack of commuciation from doctor to doctor and especially to me. Keep speaking up!! They owe it to you to let you know what is going on and to assure you the best care and attention is being given to her.

It is draining so make sure you take care of yourself too. You cant help her if you arent in good shape. It is an emotional roller coaster. Your friends and family are there and there is no shame in leaning on them. They may need to lean on you one day and you will be there for them if and when that time comes.

My heart goes out to you. If we can do anything, I know the people at FABO will be happy to do it.

God Bless all of you!!

(Sorry this was long. Like I said, emotions.)

UPDATE:

Things Are Lookin' Up: Thursday's Report

Written 16 hours ago

As I posted via mobile earlier today, Kim's neck surgery went off without a hitch. Also, when they brought her back from surgery, her temperature was exactly 98.6. The girl's a tough one, and she's fightin' through this with more class and bravery than anyone I've seen in a long time. I received the phone call from the neurosurgeon about an hour and fifteen minutes into surgery, telling me everything couldn't have gone any better. When Kim was wheeled back into her room, I was there, and she was awake (but groggy), responsive, and could move all of her fingers and toes, so everything is on track.

Still no word on when the leg surgery is gonna take place, but I am assuming it will be Saturday, since it's almost 9 PM and I have not yet gotten a phone call for telephonic consent. That's OK, it follows my game plan for Kim's birthday: Leg gets fixed, breathing tubes come out, and we get geared up to finally move out of the ICU and onto the floor. I hope we're on the floor by Sunday, but I realistically see it more likely being on Monday.

I left Kim to get some sleep, as she was really out of it after the surgery, and she was fighting to keep her eyes open, no matter how hard I convinced her that everything was OK, and she could get some rest. The anesthesiologist was a really nice guy (turns out we both went to school together for a brief time growing up-we didn't know each other, though), and he had great communication skills. He let me know that he had given Kim plenty of juice to ensure that she was totally out during the surgery, and he also gave her some type of drug that gives her amnesia. Just to ensure it took, he gave her an extra dose after she got back to the room. Anytime I can get the chance to get Kim something that will help her forget any part of this awful ordeal, I'm damned sure gonna take it (pardon my French).

So we've left the first plateau, and we're climbing the mountain again. It's a long way to the top, but I'm gonna be right there with Kim all the way, step by step, letting her lean on me when she needs to, carrying her if I have to, and holding her hand with strong words of encouragement the rest of the time.

She's got the heart, the strength, and the stubbornness, and she just might be pulling me up the mountain when we get close to the top. That would be no surprise to me. Again, one of the reasons I fell in love with this girl.

On a quick note, the accident report was finally released today, and the other driver was 85 years old. He was listed at fault, and cited for Fail To Yield Right Of Way At a Stop Intersection. What I didn't know until I saw the report, was a third car in the oncoming traffic lane was damaged from flying debris. Due to specific reasons that I probably shouldn't discuss here, I shall not go into any further detail regarding the accident, and I ask that no comments or opinions be posted. I just felt that the basic facts of this accident should be noted at some point.

More news tomorrow.

Latest Updates from Van:

Look!!! A Bird!!!: Saturday's Report

Written 14 hours ago
I stayed with Kim up until 3 AM Saturday, and when she had gone to sleep, I left. Had two dogs to to let out, since they had been in the house since I left at 7 PM. While I was with Kim, it was extremely difficult to understand what she said. I mean. all men know that all women speak nothing but gibberish, anyhow, but this was full on, undecipherable by even a woman, gibberish!!! The nurse said that it's not uncommon. She's been on so many meds for two weeks, been sleep deprived, and just exhausted. The drugs linger in the system for a day or two, then the fog clears up. I guess, at that point, we'll return to the standard pre-accident gibberish.
I got back up to the hospital about 1 PM, and Kim had been eating a popsicle (she's on a clear liquid diet for now). She was better than last night, but still a little gibberish comes out. I got word that her leg surgery is scheduled for 8AM Sunday morning.
I spent the day with her until 6PM, when visiting hours ended. We went through more birthday and get well cards, and just spent some time together. I am not going back up there tonight, as I want to be well rested for her tomorrow. Hopefully she gets some sleep tonight.
No more stories about countries Kim may have infiltrated came out today. However, when the respiratory therapist came in to give Kim the forced air treatment that she's been getting every few hours, I told the therapist that Kim wasn't a big fan of the treatments yesterday. This was said while Kim had the mask on. Since she was unable to talk, she communicated to me with her right hand a universally known signal: The Bird. Kim's getting better by the minute.
The dog's are alive, the plants are hangin' on. Sorry to keep this short, gonna try and get some sleep so I can get up at 6 AM and be with Kim before she goes back for surgery.
More news tomorrow.

Hitch

Written 4 hours ago
There's been a hitch this morning. Kim was ready to go to surgery, we had met with the anesthesiologist an orthopedic surgeon (finally met him in person), an everything looked food to go. As they were preparing everything, within five minutes, Kim's oxygen saturation level dropped from the 94-96% range to 77%. They immediately began forced air treatments and working to get her level back up. In light of this development, the anesthesiologist did not want to risk surgery, and the likelihood that they would have to insert another breathing tube, only to have to wean here off of it again. Surgery is, at the least, postponed to later today, and possibly cancelled for today. I will address when I know.

The Root Beer Chronicles: Early Sunday Update

Written 1 hour ago
Per the on call doctor, Kim's leg surgery has been cancelled for today, and possibly for tomorrow. The doctors have her on a BiPap machine, which is more of the forced oxygen with a mask over her face. I wasn't allowed to go back into the ICU until just after 11, and when I walked in, Kim had taken the mask off, and was working on taking her collar off. Not good.

We got the situation under control, and I found out that while I was gone, the respiratory therapist (Kim may be calling her the respiratory terrorist at this point) went through the nose and down the throat to suction as much crap as possible out of the throat and lungs. Glad I wasn't there for that one!!!

It is believed that a mucous "plug" had partially obstructed her airway, and she doesn't yet have the strength to cough it up or out. The suction removed it, as well as a bunch more junk.

Anyhow, Kim was not cooperating at all in regards to getting the mask back on, and she was demanding root beer, her favorite drink. We have come to a compromise at this point, that if the doctors and nurses approve it, I will get her some root beer from the cafeteria once this mask comes off after a couple of hours.

I think this also ties to the fact that I purchased a Mr. Root Beer home root beer making kit for her birthday, and I told her about it on Friday, after she was off of the ventilator. I told her that she had two options: We could stick with my original plan for us to make root beer at home together, or I could make some for her while she's in the hospital. I have a batch of root beer I have to make, apparently. Looks like I'm gonna be a root beer bootlegger while she's in the hospital. I can tell you this much, I haven't tasted it yet, but when I opened the box, the smell was like pure root beer heaven.

More updates tonight.

There has been a couple of other postings on the family site with personal information that hasn't been included. So if something seems missing that is why.

Thanks for the updates. Sounds like she hasn't lost any spunk and that's a great sign. Continued prayers from this end.

Thank You Bill. Praying for her to have her surgery so she will have a full recovery and drink her root beer. Also Prayers for Sue to have a safe trip when she is ready to leave and all members of your family.

Update From Van:

Late Sunday Update

Written 1 hour ago

It's 11:30 PM Sunday night, and I have been back up here since 9:45. Dogs fed and let out, plants watered, (still no new KIA's), and I got something to eat. Kim's finally gone down for some sleep, albeit probably short lived. She had a really tough day today with all of the breathing treatments, running new IV's and taking out old ones, as well as coughing up junk. She's definitely better, but it's been a struggle to get where we are at this point. Hopefully Monday, things continue to improve.

The doctor said that if she has to be put back on the breathing machine, it'll be through a tracheotomy. Fighting to avoid that. Her leg surgery is tentatively scheduled for Tuesday, but that's all depending on how her breathing goes through Monday.

Note: This recently came up so I posted it tonight before going to bed.
Thank You for the prayers.

Update:

Leg Surgery!!!

Written 1 hour ago

When I left the hospital at six this morning, the game plan was to have the leg surgery tomorrow.

Got a phone call a short time ago (noon), and Kim is in surgery getting her leg fixed. Out of left field. I will advise on status when she's out.

Update:

It's Like Deja Vu All Over Again: An Abbreviated Monday Update

Written 14 hours ago

Just a quick check in. Kim's surgery went well, leg's fixed, and we're headed towards recovery. Kim's not being the most cooperative patient at the moment (and hasn't been for a while, but more so since she came out of surgery today). I was planning on staying home to get some rest and letting the dogs spend more than just one hour out of their kennels as they have been for the past couple of days, but I just received a call from the hospital stating that Kim refuses to take any medication or do any breathing treatments until I get there. Her mind is so foggy from the anesthesia and pain meds, that she almost seems like she's got dementia. That will clear up, but right now, she's being pretty testy. They put me on the phone with her, and the only answer appears to be me going back up to the hospital to spend another night with her.

She appears to be making a hit list, and I certainly wanna stay off of it!!

That being said, I have to make a short entry this evening and go back up to the hospital.

I was a handful as well, they told my love ones, the more they yell, the stronger they are getting, lol

Its no freaken fun laying around all busted up.

Where I was at, they kept me too dope up to stand up. Rehab was talking about stringing me up like a puppet, that is when I started to refuse pain shots at nighttime so in the morning I could get up without getting dizzy. I had to stand and walk between some bars before I was released or go to a nursing home. I got sober up and out of there.

It was 3 full month before I got a walking cast but I refused any pins, screws in my leg. Some doc who was train in Vietnam set my leg in a cast without surgery, great doctor I had

Hang in there, she is over the hill

Hallelujah and more prayers for you all. I wasn't busted near as bad and I nearly went nuts, so I can understand some of what you are going through on that part of things.

UPDATE:

Kim is doing very well. She has been in a regular room for a couple of days and the breathing machines have been removed. Sue is there now with Kim thanks to the FABO members. Kim is extremely happy that mom is there.

More later as I learn it.

-
Back