URGENT!! Prayer requests needed HORRIBLE WRECK

-
If she is developing an infection related to her abdominal issues they may prescribe her Flagyl and Cipro through IV. That's what I was taking during my recovery from paratinitis surgery. These antibiotics should beat down any infections she may have. Continued Prayers from my family to yours.

Many prayers for both of you. Hold her tight (as you can without hurting her) and tell her you love her. That will be powerful.
Tell the doctor that unless he talks to you you will find a different doc. I don't care how good people say a doc is, if he would not talk to me he wouldn't work on my family.

My wife has Crohn's disease, and two years ago had to have a major intestinal resection. During this time, they had her on the afore mentioned Flagyl and Cipro, and those two antibiotics worked wonders on killing any infection and keeping it away. I wish your family all the best and will keep them in my thoughts and prayers. Good luck to you all.

UPDATE FROM VAN:

A Stall in Progress...For a Moment

Written 9 hours ago

Thursday morning, I got to the hospital to spend time with Kim before she headed to surgery only to find that surgery has been delayed again. The neurosurgeon (not to be confused with the orthopedic surgeon, that's for sure) met me in the ICU to tell me we had to put things on hold, as Kim had developed a fever overnight. Her temperature was up to 102, but they had gotten in down to 100.3 by the time I got there just after 8 AM. The doctor said that it would be detrimental to her to introduce metal into the body while she has a fever. I can't repeat here the words I said when I found out that were stated strictly out of frustration and disappointment.

I went to see her, and she had a fan on her, and she was out of it, I assume from the fever being added into the mix. While I was spending some time with her, a doctor came in with a socket wrench to tighten the bars sticking out of her leg, and he spoke with me. I found out he was an orthopedic resident who was checking on everything with her leg and toes, and I politely yet tersely let him know about my dealings (or lack thereof) with the orthopedic doctor. I stated I merely wanted to know the extent of the injuries, what had been done, and what was going to be done, as well as prognosis. He was very helpful, and he pulled me back to look at the scans of the bones on her right leg and left foot. The bones were shattered vertically, as well as horizontally, and the fractures run through the ankle and all the way through the bone on the heel to the bottom of the foot. He showed me where the plates, rods, and screws were, and showed me before and after of the right leg/ankle/foot. The damage is extensive and she has more hardware in her than a True Value store now. He said that as a result of the fractures running through the ankle, and the subsequent metal that was put in, she will have arthritis in that ankle, but when it will set in and to what extent it will be will only be determined in time.

He explained to me that the next surgery is to remove the external bars which have been stretching the bones back to their original length, and plates and screws will be added at the time the bars are removed.

As for the left foot, there are two or three small fractures on the edges of the big toe and one or two others, but they are small, in place, and should heal on their own without any surgery. As for the number two and three toes, they had to amputate them behind the first joint, and then close them up. They had to amputate behind the joint, because if you amputate and leave the joint, it drains a lot, and there is the risk for infection. When asked about the possibility of keeping or losing the toes, the doctor said that he had changed the dressing on them earlier in the morning, and they looked good, and there should be no reason why they would have to be further amputated.

I again expressed my displeasure with the ghost doctor, and I was told that it would be conveyed. I had more things to take care of outside of the hospital, so I left.

I returned just before noon to meet with two of my superiors who drove out from Dallas to check on everything, and discuss Kim's case with the on call. This is not the forum here to talk about it, as this is about Kim, but I will briefly say that the support from my agency has been beyond belief, and greatly appreciated.

I met with the on call surgeon, and got the rundown from him on the fever (which was down to 99.3 by that time). He stated that they are trying to determine where the infection is, and it is possible it could be coming from the degloved area under the skin towards her back. He also said another possibility is that she is getting pneumonia. They wanted to go into her lungs through the breathing tube with a scope and see if there is an infection, and if they see some, they will take a biopsy so they know what strain of pneumonia she has, and that will help them know which antibiotic works best to defeat it. That is IF they determine that she has pneumonia. Jury's still out.

I went home, stopping to get a to go lunch on the way, and that's when I fell asleep on the way home, prompting my earlier post. After I had woken up one time, I received a phone call from the neurosurgeon, telling me that there was something that needed to be considered in regards to her neck, and the alignment of the spine. He said that they had intended to get the screw in the C2 vertebra by now, but since they hadn't, her bone was going to start healing on it's own, and they didn't want it to do that, as her spine would be out of alignment. The best thing to do was to apply cervical tongs, that kind of look like giant tongs you use to carry an ice block. Those would go over the top of her head and down each lateral side. They would be screwed into the skull, and then it would be used to pull the head straight up from the body, allowing the spine to stay in alignment. he also said that it would make it much easier to put the screw into the C2 vertebra when the time came. Kim would be out during this, and local anesthetic would be used, as well.

I hated so much to add something to Kim that would cause her to have that much more pain, but I had to look at this realistically, and I knew that it was best for Kim in the long run. This was done bedside, and they did it immediately after the bronchial scope was done, since she was already under.

That is where we stand at this point. I dread seeing her with the tongs on her head tomorrow, but I know it's all so she can heal as correctly as possible.

I will be back up there again tomorrow, and hopefully I will know the results of the lung check.

On a side note, I mentioned again to the on call about the ghost doctor, and the case manager who was there said she would work on getting in touch with him immediately. The charge nurse paged him, and when I checked back about an hour later, I was told he had been advised, but he was in surgery at the moment. The ghost doctor finally called me after the neurosurgeon had called and gotten approval to do the tongs, and he ran down over the phone with me everything that the resident had done earlier in the morning. He wasn't as in depth, but in his defense it was over the phone and not in front of x-rays to point things out. When I told him about Saturday, and the fact that I waited for a consult after he got out of surgery, he apologized and said he was in surgery all night, as he had a bunch of trauma cases come in. Funny thing is, and I didn't confront him on this, that I was told Saturday night that he had already gone home. My opinion of him is NOT very high. He could learn some things from the resident I met this morning.

Post again tomorrow.....

This update answers a lot of things we have not known to the extent of the right leg injuries.

Been following this from the start.Sounds like she is a fighter and things will be ok in the end. Hang in there. Any word on what caused the accident or the condition of the other cars occupants?

Mandie (I spelled it with a y instead of ie in the begining) had "a bruised hip, bum knee, sprained wrist, bruise on her waist from the seat belt, and a bump on her head." She is from Tulsa and is back there.

Van (Kim's husband) has "a fractured sternum, bruise on my waist from the seatbelt, bum knee, sore back, sore right foot, and I think I have a rib that pops in and out when I twist it just right." Only additional information that I have is what he has posted since and it is contained in the updates I have posted.

As far as the cause of the accident this is what information I have heard from Sue and the television station website. "Officials say that a white SUV was traveling northbound on Highway 155 when a green Ford Taurus failed to yield the right of way."

Thanks to all that have been following this thread and praying. Please keep the prayers coming.

More updates when I get them otherwise I won't be posting on this thread.

I've been following your niece's progress and praying for her, but realized I hadn't posted to the thread........

Please keep the updates coming and let her know there's lotsa us thinking about her, as well as her family :angel5:

Who this is just a very sad post to read ...please know i will kept them in my thoughts. Praying for for a safe recovery.

Prayers being sent for everyone, wow she sounds like a very strong woman.

TWO UPDATES from Van:

Friday Afternoon Update

Written 2 hours ago

Got to the hospital around 1 PM so I could get the latest from the on-call making rounds, but he was in surgery, so I was able to get the latest news from her nurse. They had given Kim some dye through her feeding tube so they could do a high resolution CAT scan of her stomach/abdomen, as well as make sure her intestines looked OK, and that the repair to the intestines was holding, and not leaking. They needed it to sit for a while so it could make it's way everywhere they needed it to be. Once they look at that, if there is no damage or leaks, hen they can rule that out as the cause or contributor to her infection.

When I asked about the bronchial check and how it went, the nurse said that they did find some bacteria in her lungs, but it wasn't anything that they hadn't expected. They had planned on that showing up, and they were treating for it with the broad spectrum antibiotics.

When I asked about her fever, the nurse said it was high 99, but I can't remember the exact number. She had a fan on her, and she was out of it. when her eyes are open, it's almost like she's staring into blank space. The tongs on her head aren't as menacing looking as I feared they would be, so I felt a little better about that.

Going back up to see her in about an hour, and then leave when visiting hours end at 6 PM. If there is more news after that, I will make another entry.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Movin'!!!

Written 52 minutes ago

Wasn't able to make it before 6PM due to looking for paperwork. Hospital called and said we now have a PRIVATE room in the ICU!!!! Been asking, and one finally opened up. Nothing else to report.

Thank You for the continued prayers.

As I have done since this prayer thread was started I will only post here when there is an update.

DOUBLE UPDATE:

Sunday

Written 22 hours ago

Kim was pretty out of it today. I don't blame her. I can only imagine the pain and frustration she feels going through all of this. I got there about 12:45 PM, and her nurse happened to be in her room. He said her temperature was still in the 99/100 range, but wasn't spiking.

I spoke with the on-call when he made rounds, and this doctor was very generous with his time and answering questions, and gave me a more in depth idea about where we are at this point. He said that they positively identified the strain of pneumonia she has, and they have started her on the specific antibiotics that will eradicate it (hopefully).

He was cautiously optimistic on having to give Kim a tracheotomy, saying that if they can get rid of the pneumonia, then we should be good to go for surgery. If all goes well, she could have a green light for the neck and leg surgeries on or about Wednesday. However, if she regresses, and we can't knock down the pneumonia, then we will have to go with the tracheotomy, and that would then delay the neck surgery for a couple more days, as they will have to wait for the swelling from that to go down before they can operate. Also, it makes things more complicated doing the C2 vertebra repair through the front of the neck while also having the tracheotomy there. It can be done, it's just more difficult. He said that they generally have to leave the tubes in for about two days after the C2 repair surgery, as they don't want the airway to become closed off as a result of the swelling from the C2 surgery. After that, the tubes can come out.

We talked about the degloving injury, and he was, again, cautiously optimistic. He said that the risk of infection and complications from the degloving injury can occur up to 2-3 weeks after the injury, so we are in the dangerous time for another week to two. What he said that is encouraging, is the fluid that is draining from the injury, which I have seen quite a bit, and he showed it to me as well, is clear, and that's a good sign. He said the degloving injury causes the vascular supply to the fat and underlying tissue of the skin to be damaged, causing the risk of parts of that tissue to die, which leads to the infection. If the fluid had bits of matter and fatty tissue in it, that would be a bad indication, and that would mean that some of the underlying tissue has died, causing surgery to be done to remove the dead tissue. He also said that there could be parts of the area that got degloved (which is quite large) that would have to be removed if the infection occurred, meaning that "patches" or "sections" that were affected would be taken out, and would later have to be covered with skin grafts. He showed me one area of redness on the injury that he was concerned with, and he had outlined it with a marker to see if the redness was growing, shrinking, or holding steady. If it grows, we have to start working on removal of that skin. He said again, though, that it looks good at this time. Another indicator that there was infection resulting from tissue death would be her fever increasing, and right now, she doesn't have that. She just has the low grade fever that it is assumed is only associated with the pneumonia. Holdin' on, hopin', and prayin' that this stays good and gets better.

In the course of our conversation, he mentioned that she did have some broken ribs, too. First I have heard of this. I don't doubt him, it's just that nobody ever told me that before. Add another injury to the list. I'm sure the broken ribs weren't mentioned to me before, as there doesn't seem to be any repair needed for them, and on the scale of all her injuries, it's low on the priority list. Not much you can do for broken ribs normally, so I understand why it hasn't been brought up before.

Kim looked better today, complexion-wise. Even more so than yesterday. She just wasn't really there, though, like she has been, and I'm sure it's just the combination of all the exhaustion, drugs, and fever. She did crack a smile, though when my Mom said something to her, so she was there.

Another day passes, another challenge gets chipped at. Hopefully, I will have more news tomorrow that's positive.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Monday's Update

Written 22 minutes ago

Kim's fever is back up. It spiked at 101.9. As of 6 PM, they had it back down to 100. Things are headed in the wrong direction in regards to this, so hopefully things can improve overnight. Her white cell count is down to around 15, and it was as high as 24 at one point. Apparently, the normal range is around 10. Kim cried a lot today, I know it's frustrating, and it definitely hurts me that I can't do anything to take away the pain.

No other news rolled in today, other than I did run into the neurosurgeon, who told me he had checked her neck earlier today, and she's in perfect alignment.

I will post again tomorrow after I meet with the doctor.

I understand how serious her injuries and the complications are. Will keep up the prayers for the best possible outcome. Thankfully she's a strong young woman.

It is entirely possible that they didn't notice the broken ribs until recently. A lot of times in traumatic injuries swelling can mask internal injuries, and those are not noticed until the swelling has had a chance to come down. My father-in-law was pinned between a concrete wall and his work Jeep when it popped out of park and rolled backwards into him. At the ER, they x-rayed his hand and said it was fine, just badly bruised. A few days later, when he still couldn't use his hand, his family doctor x-rayed it again and this time the x-ray showed that the hand had actually been crushed. So you never know. Regardless, my thoughts and prayers are still with you. Keep the faith and trust in God.

UPDATE FROM VAN:

Optimism is High. So is The Plant Count: Wednesday's Report

Written 1 hour ago

Got in to see Kim just after 1 PM today, and she looked better than yesterday. Her nurse was in her room, and told me that the neurosurgeon had been in to assess everything with Kim, and we got the green light for neck surgery!!!! Her fever had been hovering in the 99 degree range according to the nurse, and she said the doctor felt comfortable operating tomorrow, assuming she's stays stable temperature-wise. When I asked if the leg surgery was going to be performed at the same time, the nurse said she didn't know anything about that.

Our old neighbor and good friend Jeff came by and spent a few minutes with Kim. For those of you that don't know Jeff, he's done some pretty cool things to help Kim out during this ordeal, but I think it's best I leave it at that. Let's just say that Jeff definitely wears a white hat. While he was there, the awesome orthopedic resident came in to check on everything. I have yet to lay eyes on the orthopedic doctor, but I'll fill you in on that later in this post. The doctor said that they were prepared to operate a day or two after the neurosurgeon decided to do the neck. When I told him the neck was getting operated on tomorrow, and inquired about the feasibility of doing the leg at the same time as the neck (as originally planned before the pneumonia bout), he said he didn't think so, but he would let the ortho doctor know. More than likely, he said they would do it one or two days after the neck.

He changed the dressing on her toes, and I got to see them for the first time. I know Kim, and I know she's gonna have a rough time adjusting to the toes. Most of the toes are there, but it will still take some getting used and acceptance for Kim. My sister drove over from Dallas after she got off work, and we spent some time with Kim, and when I told my sister about the toes, she understood how Kim will react, but she also raised the valid point that Kim has so much more to be thankful for than she has to lament over. I believe she's right, it's just gonna take some time for Kim to realize that.

Another thing that the ortho resident noted was that the staples on the outside of Kim's leg had a small area around some of them that had turned red, possibly indicating infection. He said it was also possible that the area was just irritated by her leg laying against the pillow, and the staples rubbing on it. Keeping an eye on it. He said the possibility of infection was a concern since she did have an infection in her blood, and that could settle anywhere, so we're just being cautious with that right now.

While my sister and I were with Kim, we were on each side of the bed holding her hands. Kim had said she was hot, so I positioned the fan so it could blow more air on her, and we both noted that Kim's hands and body all of a sudden felt warm. Fearing she had taken on another fever, I got the nurse to take her temperature, and it was 98.8, so we were thankful for that.

The nurse told me the neck surgery is scheduled for 10:45 in the morning, so I will be there about 9:45 to spend some time with her before she goes into the OR. Forms signed, surgery scheduled, let's get this done.

Kim was awake and responsive, and didn't seem to be in such a bad mood today, so that was good. She seemed more awake than normal, and I later found out that the nurse told my sister that the doctor has stopped the Propofol, which is supposed to induce sleep. I was also told that they are giving her Ativan, so that's gonna help with her anxiety, although she did display some signs of anxiousness while we were there. I told her about the surgery tomorrow, and she acknowledged everything, so she knows. Whether or not she will remember, who knows.

Now, on to the orthopedic surgeon, or 'the ghost doctor". I made it a point to speak with the hospital administration about his lack of effort to speak with me, and how it took several days and prodding by me before he finally called me on the phone. I told them that he certainly wasn't guilty of malpractice or ethics violations, but he most certainly showed a lack of professionalism in my estimation. I also made it a point to tell them that everyone else at the hospital, from janitors, to orderlies, to nurses, as well as the other doctors, had been excellent. He fell short of the mark that they had set. The administration asked if I would like to meet with him in person so he could go over everything regarding Kim's leg and toes, and I said it was a moot point since the resident had already done so. I just felt that they needed to be aware of my experience with him. That being said, I cannot emphasize the importance of doing things like this in this situation. I want Kim to have the best, and that includes consulting with the patient or their loved one. Since Kim couldn't speak up for herself, it's my charge to speak up for her. I won't accept something like this and just let it happen. Neither should anyone else in my situation. Just had to put that out there.

That's all I know at this point, so I'll close this one out, hopefully with good news about her neck tomorrow. I will post a quick note through caringbridge mobile after she's out of surgery so everyone knows how that went, and I will follow it up tomorrow evening with the daily update. Hopefully that one won't have to include any more plant deaths. I know I've already got some butt chewin' and some butt kickin' comin' my way from Kim!!

Some personal family information is been removed from the post.

This thread will be updated when I get new information.

Again thank you for the update and will continue prayers for all family members

Thanks for the update Bill, and tell Van we're still with him and Kim. Still praying and hoping for a sucessful tomorrow.

-
Back