URGENT!! Prayer requests needed HORRIBLE WRECK

-
Been following this from the start.Sounds like she is a fighter and things will be ok in the end. Hang in there. Any word on what caused the accident or the condition of the other cars occupants?

Hi Bear R.- here.The Good Lord "will"take care of them.our prayers are w/them .Please Lord Jesus watch over them and that they,re cond.and recovery will be quick.Amen.!!God Bless you all.and Be safe...Bear R.- .n. Fawn R.-.....

Very good news indeed Van! Thanks for the update. I'm glad to hear that you, Mandy and Sue are doing better too. Please tell Kim that I'm still praying for her and all involved.

This brings tears to my eyes. I haven't prayed this hard in a long time. It's good to know that God is listening.

Take care.

SHORT UPDATE:

Kim's C2 surgery that was scheduled for today was canceled because of low potassium levels in her blood.

Sue is out of the hospital.

Thank you for your prayers.

More updates as I get them.

things sure are different today, they kept me in for 19 days back in 1987 and my back wasn't broken, just my upper jaw and hip and lower leg bones. Did have some plastic go in my thigh muscle. I could not move at all expect my right arm. They ran current test in my left arm but found no problems, they said it just get better with time. 2 weeks later on they removed the IV from my left arm and bingo, it worked again. They must have pinched the nerves they told me.

Sounds like she is out of the woods and on the slow road to recovery. My jaw surgery was delayed as well. Was 10 days after my wreck before they operated. Nobody told me my jaw was broken till a week after the wreck - it hurts more once you know they said.

Things are better today then in 87 - heck the blood I got wasn't even tested for Hp C or aids. I just lucked out in so many ways.

Hang in there, it does get better. 3 - 4 months from now she should be doing much much better

I'm sorry Bill, I haven't been here in awhile, Hope and pray that all goes well for a speedy recovery

I just read through all of this. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. I'm glad to hear that she is doing well and getting better every day.

UPDATE FROM VAN:

Wednesday

Written 6 hours ago

Wednesday did not go as expected. Kim was slated to be taken down for surgery at 11 AM, and I got there at 10 AM, when visiting hours began. I was first asked to sign another surgical consent form for Kim, this one regarding her right lower leg fractures. Turns out the orthopedic surgeon (who I have yet to even lay eyes on, let alone talk to him about the leg and toes) found out Kim was scheduled to have her neck repaired, and wanted to go in right behind the neurosurgeon and remove the external device that's stabilizing the leg. I knew that it would have to be removed at some point, but I'm still unsure as to whether or not he's removing it and then doing rods, plates, and screws, or if they've already been done, this was to stabilize the bone/joint, and he's just removing it. Since the doctor hasn't seen fit to even talk to me on the phone, and my medical degree came out of a Cracker Jack box, I don't have the answers. I told the surgery nurse, as well as the CCU nurse that I wanted some form of contact at some time, and they said they were getting in touch with him so he could call me at the least, but I have heard nothing.

I wanted what was best for Kim, so I signed the forms, but expressed my desire for contact again. I'm sure, as nice and sincere as all the other staff has been at this hospital, that they told him, and his record precedes him. Only doctor to cut on my wife that hasn't spoken with me and answer any questions.

It was all apparently a moot point, as while Kim was getting prepped for surgery, the anesthesiologist (who, again, I met) said that her potassium levels were drastically low, and he didn't want to risk her going into cardiac arrest on the table. They consulted with the on-call, and she started with potassium injections into her IV.

Just prior to the surgery cancellation, I was spending time with Kim, who was awake and communicating, and she again was indicating that she was in pain from her abdominal injury. Not much that could be done at the time, as she is on the maximum allowed dose for Propofol (you know, Michael Jackson's favorite milk), and the max dose of Fentanyl. According to the nurse on Tuesday, just the amount of Propofol alone that she is receiving should knock out most anybody, but that and the Fentanyl combined hasn't been enough, as she's been able to write messages. Don't get me wrong, she wasn't writing novels in artistic Olde English style script, but she could communicate and write complete words. That's a tough person. That's also a person that's hurting and can feel it.

On Tuesday, discussion had been brought up about adding Ativan, which, armed with my Cracker Jack Diploma, I assumed was another pain killer. I was all for it, and assumed it had been done on Tuesday. Wednesday Morning, I noticed that every few minutes, she would contort her face like she's in pain while squeezing her eyes shut, as well as squeezing my hand VERY hard. This would last 15 seconds or so, then it would subside. This went on a few times, so I talked to the nurse, and she was working on trying to adjust things. While she was doing that, that's when I was sidetracked and occupied with the surgery nurse and the anesthesiologist outside of her room, only to learn of the cancellation at the last minute.

I spoke briefly in person with the neurosurgeon, who apologized, but it ain't his fault. They said they would set Kim for Thursday morning surgery, and, if her potassium levels were in the acceptable ranges, we were on.

Still having to cover other issues in regards to this accident outside of the hospital, I split, and returned after visitation hours started back up at 8 PM. After spending a few minutes with her, these periods of "wincing", as we'll call it, started coming and going again. This prompted me to talk to the nurse, and I told her about the Ativan discussion Tuesday, of which she was unaware. She said Kim was not receiving Ativan, but Ativan is not a painkiller, but an anti anxiety med.

Bingo.

That's what we need. Anybody that knows Kim, and knows Kim well, knows that she gets overly anxious about things, and she tends to sweat the small stuff. Not that anything she's dealing with is small stuff, but the anxiety level is obviously high. The request is being made to the doctor to add Ativan, which the nurse said has no interaction issues with the other two drugs. I hope that we can then see some subsiding of the wincing.

I confirmed that she's slated to go into surgery at 9 AM tomorrow, and the neurosurgeon hopes to do the neck, while the ghost doctor hopes to work on the leg. I asked whether or not I would be able to spend some time with her before she went into surgery, since the CCU is closed to visitors from 6 AM-10AM, and the nurse said that I can enter at 8 and stay until they take her down. Also, when they wheel her down to the OR, I get to accompany her, and there is a waiting room outside the OR. Game plan is to be there at 8, hopefully not see as much (or hopefully none) of the wincing, and have some comfort in knowing that we may have hit this nail on the head.

I will advise tomorrow on the whether or not there's been surgeries, and what the outcome is. Well, at least on the neurosurgeon's part. I guess I'll have to use my Cracker Jack degree to speculate on the leg.

I apologize for interjecting a bit of sarcasm and emotion into this post, but it just gets frustrating when you're trying to look out for the best for your wife, and you're not getting it. This doctor hasn't bordered on malpractice or anything close to it, but he sure as Hell hasn't earned any praise from me for his communication skills.

More to come tomorrow.

The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.
He maketh me to lie down in green pastures:

He leadeth me beside the still waters.
He restoreth my soul:

He leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.
Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,

I will fear no evil: for thou art with me;
thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.

Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies:

Thou anointest my head with oil;
my cup runneth over.
Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life:

and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.

Thanks for the new update bill. Tell Van not to worry about the sarcasm in his post I think he is doing very well with everything that is happening. More prayers are being said and I hope they will help with the pain.

Alot of surgeons have a God complex. Lets hope his skill as surgeon is better than his communication skills. I would not let anyone cut on my wife with out speaking in person and have him explain what exactly was involved. You need to do whats best for your wife be sure this guy is that good. I will keep you and Kim in my prayers.

Thank you for the update Bill. I really feel for Van, it is beyond frustration when you see your wife in pain and you're dealing with doctors and hospital staff. But you all will get through it and there will be good times again.

UPDATE FROM VAN:

Thursday Morning-No Surgery

Surgery was cancelled today due to the fact that Kim had developed a 102 degree fever overnight., and her white cell count is elevated, indicating infection. It is suspected that the cause of this is the degloving injury, which has been successfully draining. More than likely, she will receive broad spectrum antibiotics to combat this. Surgeries have been postponed until next week. I Will post more this evening.

Future updates will be posted as I get them otherwise I do not post on this thread.

She still needs your prayers.
Speaking for her and the entire family we thank you.

I've been thinking and praying for you guys, Okie...sounds as if progress is being made. Very slowly, but it is coming (glad to hear it)

Bill I appreciate updates and I am still keeping kim in my thoughts and prayers. I smiled real big when I read that he was able to kiss her and make her smile

Just saw this thread.... WOW.... Your family is in my thoughts and prayers.

When you see things like this it really puts things in perspective and makes you thankful for everyday. Take care and be strong for them!

-
Back