-
Status
Not open for further replies.

lilcuda

Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Contact seller
Looking for a used thrust bearing from a 383. Worn out is OK, but needs to be in good shape. I need it to test a theory about possibly defective Clevite bearings.

I'm assembling a 383 for a friend and two sets of Clevite main bearings have had the same problem of the upper shell of the thrust bearing (#3) are loose in the bore. block has been line-honed and measures good. Lower shell is fine.

If you happen to have an old one laying around, let me know what you would want for it.

Thanks!

Looking for a used thrust bearing from a 383. Worn out is OK, but needs to be in good shape. I need it to test a theory about possibly defective Clevite bearings.

I'm assembling a 383 for a friend and two sets of Clevite main bearings have had the same problem of the upper shell of the thrust bearing (#3) are loose in the bore. block has been line-honed and measures good. Lower shell is fine.

If you happen to have an old one laying around, let me know what you would want for it.

Thanks!
Did you put the lower in the block to check it as well? I'd lay my money on that being the block.......

Did you put the lower in the block to check it as well? I'd lay my money on that being the block.......

You can't put the lower in the block. The tangs are in different places on the upper & lower bearings. That's the first thing I tried.

How is it loose? The circumference of the bore, or the width of the thrust? Circumference is a real issue, but if it's width, you can tighten that up in a vice and gently block sand it flat. I had that issue back when I was running fuel cars and the blocks would crush in at the thrust surface. Not a big deal to get around.

You can't put the lower in the block. The tangs are in different places on the upper & lower bearings. That's the first thing I tried.

Yeah you'll have to file off the tang and sacrifice a bearing to do it. Sounds like you already own a couple sets.

How is it loose? The circumference of the bore, or the width of the thrust? Circumference is a real issue, but if it's width, you can tighten that up in a vice and gently block sand it flat. I had that issue back when I was running fuel cars and the blocks would crush in at the thrust surface. Not a big deal to get around.

It's the circumference, unfortunately. I mic'ed the upper and lower shells at the parting line yesterday. The upper shell is .004" smaller at the parting line, so I'm 99% sure it's a bearing issue. That's why I'm looking for a good used one to try just to prove my theory. Unfortunately when my friend tore it down, he tossed the original bearings.

Yeah you'll have to file off the tang and sacrifice a bearing to do it. Sounds like you already own a couple sets.

The first set of bearings were returned, so I don't have a spare anymore.

Thanks for the replies. I found some info on another site where somebody had the same problem. They suggested trying a Federal Mogul (now Sealed Power) part #4094. We got a set of those and the #3 bearing fits the block perfectly!

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back