Using a 10" scalloped pressure plate and 9 1/2" disc

-

ddartdude

Reaction score
Will a 9 1/2" Kevlar clutch work with a 10" scalloped pressure plate on a D/Dart 273-275HP engine?

The Story:
Before I got into the 360 Magnum Crate engine flywheel fiasco, I ordered a 10" scalloped clutch setup (B&B pressure plate) for my D/Dart from a Detroit based clutch rebuilder. He talked me into a steel backed Carbon Kevlar disc which holds up very well to heat and had 30% better plate load on engagement. I agreed to it. I asked him to cut it down a little to make sure it clears the pressure plate mounting bolts and the starter teeth.

Received a call and was told that they didn't make the Carbon Kevlar disc in my size so he ordered a Kevlar clutch for the same price. I agreed to it.

Got the clutch in early May and had some issues with the disc and he said not to worry about it. I recently measured the disc and it's 9.400" and the pressure plate is 10". He does not want to exchange it for a 10" disc since it was "custom" ordered.

If I put a HIPO 273 in the car:
Should I use the 9 1/2" Kevlar clutch with the brand new B&B 10" pressure plate?

Will these be compatible?

Any thoughts on this?

edited out a couple of options

Last edited:
I think it would be best to sell everything and get the right parts for the 10 and a half inch clutch setup and go that way Brewers has the Z bar and other parts that you may need

I think it would be best to sell everything and get the right parts for the 10 and a half inch clutch setup and go that way Brewers has the Z bar and other parts that you may need
I think I'm going to go with the 10 1/2" setup with the 360-380HP Mopar Crate Engine using Brewers conversion parts.

I was looking for thoughts on a 9 1/2" Kevlar clutch and 10" scalloped pressure plate usage. Will it work or will I run into problems if used on a 273? Would I have problems selling it as listed here?

Shouldn't hurt a thing. The 9 1/2" disk won't know if it's being clamped with a 9.5" or 10" pressure plate. Now the other way around might cause some issues. LOL

Last edited:
I think I would check into a dual disc set up. I think the pressure plates are quite small and double the clamping force.

I think I would check into a dual disc set up. I think the pressure plates are quite small and double the clamping force.
I would if I had your money TMM.

Just pondering what to do with the setup I got. Over the years I've bought 5 clutch setups from this guy. Just have a bad experience. Don't like the fact that he substituted the smaller disc and didn't get my approval. I guess you are right as far as it not knowing if it's a 9 1/2" or 10" disc.

Gonna go with the 10 1/2" setup from Brewer on the new D/Dart. I have a 340 aluminum bellhousing already so I'll buy all the other components from him. Going to the Monster Mopar weekend at Norwalk this year. I'll try to pick up the parts from there. I wish I would have gotten all the clutch and flywheel numbers from him a couple of weeks ago. I could have ordered that stuff off of eBay and gotten 15% off. Oh well. It's only plastic.

-
Back