using a newer compresser

-

scamp73

Reaction score
I was thinking about adding a/c back to my 73 scamp. as i plan on keeping the bench seat , and im adding cop wheels w/72 340 duster dog dish caps. a/c would just set it off further. is there a compressor that i can use thats lighter and newer? that will work with my stock lines?

thanks
steve

I was looking into this as well. I think I'm going to have to do the $1000 project from classic air. I saw the valiant project from MMusc mag, and the setup looks nice. but... if there's a cheaper way, I'm all for leaving my stock box in the cabin.

Stu

It doesn't use the stock lines, but bouchillon performance has a bracket to adapt the Sanden shorty style compressor to a Mopar SB. The new hoses can be made by an a/c shop, or you can get Aeroquip hose/fittings and make your own.

4725%20both.jpg

And I love their animated gif here....
ani-santahelper.gif

I have had very bad experiance with Bouchillon and their customer service. That said, judging by the pictures, I would be concerned, with the a small amount of belt wrap, on the alternator, with a single belt. Why not go to a salvage yard, and get the complete factory "mount and drive" from almost any "late" model small block, with the small axial compressor.

stupidasso said:
I was looking into this as well. I think I'm going to have to do the $1000 project from classic air. I saw the valiant project from MMusc mag, and the setup looks nice. but... if there's a cheaper way, I'm all for leaving my stock box in the cabin.

Stu

You can leave everything in the cabin stock. Just get a "mount and drive" from a A/C place, or a salvage yard. Have the hoses made to connect the compressor to the rest of the system.

Found an '89 Fury 'cop-mobile' and robbed the compressor, the mini alternator, the "all-in-one" bracket, and the wiring for all of this for $80. I am aware that the alternator will have to be re-wired ('Hey,Bob...whats that burning plastic smell?") and hoses will need to be fabbed up. Not the easiest thing, but not as expensive as most alternatives. I am not concerned about originality, I want functionality and usability...lighter weight and parts availability take presidence over restoring antiquated bits. :salut: Oh, I don't run bias-ply tires, soft valve seats, or drum brakes either! That's for museum pieces or Corvette f@gs (not the car lovers of Corvettes, but the "Lifestylers'" who's wettest dream in life is Bloomington Gold certification) :wack:

Good morning all, I just finished putting a 86 360 manifold (needed for the newer compressor)and a/c comp on my 318 ,had new hoses made and bought a new condenser still under $300 for the whole setup, but I had the compressor already, everything bolted up nicely and all I need now is a new dash vacuum control. Hope this helps.
God Bless Bruce

-
Back