Using SeaFoam

-

SRT_DSTRHOLC

Reaction score
Has anyone used it? I have carbon build up and I want to get rid of it all...I heard I can use this but I do not know what to do.. and do I need to change the oil after?

I blasted my ol' 273 with Sea Foam when I first got it. Warm the engine up to operating temp. Jack the idle or block the throttle to about 2,000-2500 rpm
and trickle a can down the carb. (pour slowly enough so that a can lasts a couple minutes). When the can is about 3/4 gone pour the whole thing down the carb which should stall the engine. Let it soak for about a half an hour while you drain the oil. (change the filter if it's time) Start it up and go for a drive at and romp on it to clean it out. There is usually lots of carbon that fogs out of the exhaust. I then pour another can in the gas tank to continue the cleaning. toolmanmike

great stuff !!!! add it to you gas or oil.I use it as a fuel stabilizer

I was using it in my chevy 350/300 hp boat forever @ $4 a can.
then us car people heard of it; Now $9 a can..............grrrr
But it works great; clean the carbon; smoke up the neighbors, then add it to your tank; half strength, each fill up.

i just changed my oil should i wait till next oil change to do it?

As preventative maintenance, I pour 1/3 down the carb (I don't flood it out), 1/3 in the valve cover and 1/3 in the tank. And then go for a nice drive in the country.

As preventative maintenance, I pour 1/3 down the carb (I don't flood it out), 1/3 in the valve cover and 1/3 in the tank. And then go for a nice drive in the country.

In the country? Don't like fogging the neighbors? That's the best part!

Yesterday I put a whole can into the brake booster vacuum. I didn't let it stall, I let it suck down slowly. Let it set 20 minutes, throttled up to about 4000 until the white smoke came. When it cleared I eased off, more white smoke. Same thing all the way down until there was no more smoke. Then another can in the gas and oil. Idles a lot smoother now.

In the country? Don't like fogging the neighbors? That's the best part!

No, I just like a nice drive in the country with no stop lights! The neighbors have plenty of reasons to not like me already.

i just changed the oil, should i wait till next time?

From what I understand it removes the junk which is then burned off through the exhaust system as evidenced by the white smoke, so I don't know if it matters to change the oil.

I never read that you can just pour it in without running to circulate until you get some smoke, and carbon sits there waiting to be drained out. It's meant to be burned off I think.

No, I just like a nice drive in the country with no stop lights! The neighbors have plenty of reasons to not like me already.

My Dad did his '92 Aerostar in front of my sister's the first time. I thought the neighbors were going to call the fire department.

so gas tank will get rid of it all?

You still want to do oil and vacuum intake too, but now I've seen the seafoam site seems to say if you use it in oil the first time, it should be as a pre-service cleaner and drive it 30-100 miles, then change the oil since it's going to be dirtier after this initial use.

Then after that it's just maintenance and oil change isn't always necessary after using it, just keep an eye on the oil color to make sure.

Update to my resent usage of Seafoam. I used the 1/3 method. Intake, oil and gas.

I used it on a worn out 273...burns oil...ran the seafoam through it...she bellows BIG smoke now...took care of all the lifters ticking and cleaned up the idle too. But smokes like heck...

DartSwinger is right the OIL was BLACK...so I ran 40 weight through her changed the oil filter and added the CD2 oil "burn stopper" and she only blows when I get on her.

Yeah she needs a rebuild...but for now...she's still running strong and reliable!
Aloha

my motor has less than 100 miles on it I just want the carbon gone from the chambers and pistons

If you are just decarbonizing... pour it slowly into the carb at fast idle or a bit higher.

Since you have a new rebuild there should be no way for it to get into your oil.

It will smoke... ALOT, but it will clean your carbon out in one shot!

If you put it into your oil, make sure to change it soon after... like others have said, it will remove all sorts of build up from your oil system... and you want to get that out as soon as possible. I have seen oil starvation from an oil pump pickup getting clogged as a result of not draining the seafoam... man, that must have been a real dirty engine.

Running it through your fuel system by adding it to your tank will work... eventually. But the directly into the carb works instantly.

Back in the day people did the same thing... except they used transmission fluid, or even water instead of seafoam! (I've done both... but not in years!)

HOLY CRAP! If you haven't used Seafoam yet, do yourself a favor and run a can through your engine. The reaction you get driving down the road leaving clouds of white smoke in your wake is hilarious. I know I passed other drivers and left them thinking, "That poor guy blew a head gasket in that old car and we'll overtake him sitting on the side of the road, broken down."
On the practical side, it did smooth out the 340. I put half the can in the gas tank, and used a vacuum line to introduce the other 8 oz. into the engine directly. Fun product to use.

-
Back