using spacers on the front spring hanger

-

345man2

Reaction score
wondering who has ever put spacers in front of the front spring hanger to center the rearend, if you just move one side back say 1/4 inch to center the rear what will it effect, the off tracking tire wear maybe pinion angle or do you have to space both back equally? I have tried shimming them back before cause never needed to, wanting to run a bigger tire and 7/16 clearance to the quarter I aint crazy about, what is your opinions?:D

A 4 wheel alignment will verify if the thrust angle is off.

You may have to shim both sides if it is.

I wont enter into the engineering aspect / why the differential is offset in the first place.
For the mechanical aspect..
More than a 1/4 inch shim will lead to hardware issues. Studs were affixed to the hanger because its impossible to get a end wrench in there with the spring in place.

I used grade 5 nuts, you can get fancy with aluminum or steel, but it works for me.

I took boards that were straight and put them in front of the front wheels, behind the rear wheels and measured both sides till I was blue in the face. I was short some 7/16" on the passenger side; pretty common actually.

what effect would say 1 1/8 or 3/16 spacer on the pass side do to everything? have heard they made them this way because of torque and movementit helped, makes since:blob:

I made a set of plates to lower the front hangars on a E body once. They were 1/4" material and I dropped the top bolts to the bottom holes and had new holes for the bottom bolts in a lower position. They worked well for my application but adjusting side hop was not the issue.

IIRC, there's 1/4 difference built into the front suspension for crowned roads.

Monkey with too much in the back and you'll get it "dog tracking" like a nova.

I agree on thrust angle/4 wheel alignment.

I've used 3/8" solid aluminum block with no issues, space them both the same.

-
Back