V8 bellhousing

-
So a v8 bell housing can not be put on a /6 trans?

Yes. If the slant six transmission is a 4 speed (as many were) OR the V8 bellhousing has a dual bolt pattern, the V8 bellhousing most certainly CAN be bolted on a slant six transmission. Would you like some pictures? I HAVE a 4 speed OD that was behind a slant originally. I also have a V8 bellhousing that will bolt RIGHT to the transmission. I plan on putting it behind my 331 Hemi in my rat truck.

Yes. If the slant six transmission is a 4 speed (as many were) OR the V8 bellhousing has a dual bolt pattern, the V8 bellhousing most certainly CAN be bolted on a slant six transmission. Would you like some pictures? I HAVE a 4 speed OD that was behind a slant originally. I also have a V8 bellhousing that will bolt RIGHT to the transmission. I plan on putting it behind my 331 Hemi in my rat truck.

We took it as he is asking if it is interchangable on the engine but he didn't make it clear so maybe he was asking about the transmission.

Look at post #4. He made it clear as a bell. Unless he made a mistake. Post #4 does not ask about the bellhousing to engine bolt pattern.

Look at post #6. He made it clear as a bell. Unless he made a mistake. Post #6 does not ask about the bellhousing to engine bolt pattern.

I think you need to look because the op has only posted once in the entire thread. You could be correct but the op never said if it was engine, transmission, od tranny or anything else.

This is post #6.

You might want to check out post #8 if you are talking about MoparDaddy.

Ah ok. I see how you mean now. Sorry, I'm a visual aid kinda guy lol

I think you need to look because the op has only posted once in the entire thread. You could be correct but the op never said if it was engine, transmission, od tranny or anything else.

This is post #6.

You might want to check out post #8 if you are talking about MoparDaddy.

I've read the whole thread. 71RALLYEDART's question was answered incorrectly. That's what I was addressing.

I've read the whole thread. 71RALLYEDART's question was answered incorrectly. That's what I was addressing.

We all make mistakes and we were addressing the engine to bellhousing interchange. Maybe we made a mistake and he was talking about the tranny to bellhousing. I sent him a pm to find out that answer after your first post because I wasn't sure but as of this second he hasn't replied.

You made a mistake in posting #6.

There is no reason to be arrogant when posting. A simple "I believe he is talking about the bellhousing to transmission and it will fit........"

So a non od bellhousing and an od bellhousing interchanges? From what you answered it does.

I was not arrogant. I was simply adding to the conversation. I also did not post #6. That was someone else. Nowhere was I trying to be a smartass or be arrogant. Sorry if you took it that way. In MY post #11, I referred originally to post #6, but I made a mistake. I meant to refer to post #4. I went back and changed it. That's the post I was trying to give correct information to. #4. So I made a typo. I apologize. I'm not perfect, but this happens to be a subject I am familiar with since I am building two things using dual pattern bellhousings. I simply thought I would throw it in the mix. I'll stay out of it.

I was not arrogant. I was simply adding to the conversation. I also did not post #6. That was someone else. Nowhere was I trying to be a smartass or be arrogant. Sorry if you took it that way. In MY post #11, I referred originally to post #6, but I made a mistake. I meant to refer to post #4. I went back and changed it. That's the post I was trying to give correct information to. #4. So I made a typo. I apologize. I'm not perfect, but this happens to be a subject I am familiar with since I am building two things using dual pattern bellhousings. I simply thought I would throw it in the mix. I'll stay out of it.

You may be the only person that picked up on what the question was and yes I think your comment totally came off as arrogant buy the way you posted it. I know you know your stuff.

You never did answer this. Not knowing what the op has or is going to try to buy, this would be important if he is talking about the transmission/bellhousing interchange.

So a non od bellhousing and an od bellhousing interchanges? From what you answered it does.

Exactly as I posted. IF it has the dual bolt pattern, it will. How bout pointing out the arrogant part? You keep insisting it's there. You talkin about me askin if he wanted pictures? I was bein stone cold dead serious. I have bellhousings and transmissions in the shop. I was offering to help. You're reading way too much into this.

Exactly as I posted. IF it has the dual bolt pattern, it will. How bout pointing out the arrogant part? You keep insisting it's there. You talkin about me askin if he wanted pictures? I was bein stone cold dead serious. I have bellhousings and transmissions in the shop. I was offering to help. You're reading way too much into this.

Just read your post and think about it. Caps are yelling in the internet world and the "Would you like some pictures? " combined.

Post #4 wasn't by the op.

Now how do you know what bellhousing the op has and if it is dual pattern? From what I have read the od and the non od takes different bellhousings. I am no expert on what the splits are and that is what I am trying to get you to tell us. We don't even know what the op is working on. If it is a 71 Dart (based off the screen name) was there a regular 4 speed or an overdrive 4 speed in it?

As you can see the /6 bellhousing I posted in #5 doesn't appear to be a dual pattern.

I can't be anymore apologetic. I've apologized three times now. I know #4 wasn't the OP. I was merely adding to because it is possible to swap with the right bellhousings. As for caps, really? I was using them to stress words, not yell. Now, I've apologized more than enough for something I see no wrong in, but I still apologized for. But you still forge ahead unwilling to even think for one minute you might have taken something I said the wrong way. So whose being arrogant here? Tell you what. You stay on your side of the tracks and I'll stay on mine. If this is what I get for trying to help, it's not worth it.

I can't be anymore apologetic. I've apologized three times now. I know #4 wasn't the OP. I was merely adding to because it is possible to swap with the right bellhousings. As for caps, really? I was using them to stress words, not yell. Now, I've apologized more than enough for something I see no wrong in, but I still apologized for. But you still forge ahead unwilling to even think for one minute you might have taken something I said the wrong way. So whose being arrogant here? Tell you what. You stay on your side of the tracks and I'll stay on mine. If this is what I get for trying to help, it's not worth it.

I have just answered what you asked. I am ready to move past that and forget it. No apoligies wanted or needed.

I still would like to know the answer to the split on bellhousings I have seen others post about. Do you know the answer? If so please explain what the break is and how to tell them apart. If you don't know just say it. I don't know so that is why I am trying to learn about it.

I don't know what you're talkin about with the "split". I guess year models? If so, I don't know about that, but as I said earlier, I have lots of things to take pictures of. These first two are factory small block bellhousings. The top one is a dual pattern (3 and 4 speed) non overdrive bellhousing. I've had people tell me they didn't exist, Chrysler never made them. Well there one is. The bottom one is a standard OD bellhousing with the dual bolt pattern (3 and 4 speed). To my knowledge, all of the OD bellhousings were dual bolt pattern....I could be wrong about that.

The last picture is the slant six OD dual bolt pattern (3 and 4 speed). Although it is a high starter mount for a truck, they also made a dual pattern for the slant car. I have one under my 63 Dart. Chrysler of course also made dedicated 3 and 4 speed bellhousings, although I have never seen a dedicated 4 speed slant six bellhousing. All of those I've ever seen were dual bolt pattern. Of course, you might have to swap around the front bearing retainer in some cases. The OD bellhousings all had the 5.215" bearing retainer hole, but those are readily available.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    78.1 KB · Views: 500
  • 002.JPG
    69.2 KB · Views: 441
I don't know what you're talkin about with the "split". I guess year models? If so, I don't know about that, but as I said earlier, I have lots of things to take pictures of. These first two are factory small block bellhousings. The top one is a dual pattern (3 and 4 speed) non overdrive bellhousing. I've had people tell me they didn't exist, Chrysler never made them. Well there one is. The bottom one is a standard OD bellhousing with the dual bolt pattern (3 and 4 speed). To my knowledge, all of the OD bellhousings were dual bolt pattern....I could be wrong about that.

The last picture is the slant six OD dual bolt pattern (3 and 4 speed). Although it is a high starter mount for a truck, they also made a dual pattern for the slant car. I have one under my 63 Dart. Chrysler of course also made dedicated 3 and 4 speed bellhousings, although I have never seen a dedicated 4 speed slant six bellhousing. All of those I've ever seen were dual bolt pattern. Of course, you might have to swap around the front bearing retainer in some cases. The OD bellhousings all had the 5.215" bearing retainer hole, but those are readily available.

The hole for the bearing retainer is what they keep talking about. They say one bellhousing is too small to accept the other transmission because of the large bearing retainer. So is there a smaller bearing retainer that will bolt on to the tranny that has the large bearing retainer? Is it safe to use a small bearing retainer with the large opening bellhousing or is it like the rearend hubs on wheels where it should fit snug to keep centered? Is the bolt patterns the same between od and non od trannys?

There are six bearing retainers that I know of. 4.350, 4.80 and 5.125 both small and large bolt pattern, so there's no reason for people to make rings or adapters. I always wondered about that, myself. And yes, your wheel hub comparison is a good one. You must run the correct bearing retainer. The standard 3 speed (A230) and the 4 speed OD have the same bearing retainer bolt pattern, so the OD retainer is a direct bolt on to the A230 3 speed.....and vice versa if you don't have an OD bellhousing. I have an A230 I was considering running behind my Hemi, because I have the original big truck bellhousing that bolts directly to the Hemi and requires no adapter plate. It also has the same pattern to accept the A230, but it has a 5.125 (OD size) bearing retainer hole. I took the retainer off one of my OD transmissions and bolted it right on to the A230 and slapped it on the bellhousing and it fit perfectly. Correct depth and all. BUT, it's not a 4 speed and it's not an OD. Plus, I would have some fab time in the clutch linkage because the clutch fork is on the passenger's side and would require some fab work, whereas the 500 buck adapter plate will bolt the later 4 speed OD bellhousing right to the Hemi. It's a decision I am still thinking about.

There are six bearing retainers that I know of. 4.350, 4.80 and 5.125 both small and large bolt pattern, so there's no reason for people to make rings or adapters. I always wondered about that, myself. And yes, your wheel hub comparison is a good one. You must run the correct bearing retainer. The standard 3 speed (A230) and the 4 speed OD have the same bearing retainer bolt pattern, so the OD retainer is a direct bolt on to the A230 3 speed.....and vice versa if you don't have an OD bellhousing. I have an A230 I was considering running behind my Hemi, because I have the original big truck bellhousing that bolts directly to the Hemi and requires no adapter plate. It also has the same pattern to accept the A230, but it has a 5.125 (OD size) bearing retainer hole. I took the retainer off one of my OD transmissions and bolted it right on to the A230 and slapped it on the bellhousing and it fit perfectly. Correct depth and all. BUT, it's not a 4 speed and it's not an OD. Plus, I would have some fab time in the clutch linkage because the clutch fork is on the passenger's side and would require some fab work, whereas the 500 buck adapter plate will bolt the later 4 speed OD bellhousing right to the Hemi. It's a decision I am still thinking about.

Then using the correct bearing retainer is the answer where people are told to machine or make bushings for the hole in the bellhousing.

-
Back