V8 vs V6 Gas Pedal

-

Milo3156

Reaction score
I bought a project from someone...... uhhh he swapped the 273 out of this car and put in a 383. I have been cleaning up short cuts for some time now. I just put in the kickdown linkage last night because it was missing. I haven't gotten it fully adjusted yet, so it doesn't "kickdown" but while I was driving I was wondering if there is a difference between a V6 gas pedal and a V8 gas pedal???? I believe the original V6 throttle cable is still in use because it has a lot of slack on it. When I push on the gas it takes about 2" to hit the floor, and when the throttle is to the floor there is still a lot of throttle left on the carb so I'm not getting all the power and doesn't seam that the 4 barrel is kicking in.

So here are my questions....
Does a V8 pedal have more travel than a V6 pedal?
Is a V8 throttle cable shorter than a V6 throttle cable?
When the gas pedal is to the floor will it max out the carb?

Hope I explained myself correctly..!!

Thanks in Advance:violent1:

uh V6 ??? I guess you mean slant 6. yes the /6 cable is different. you want a v8 cable, and there is difference bewteen a 2 and 4 bbl V8 cable from the factory. . get the correct "stuff" for this, especially the kickdown and adjust it correctly or your tranny will not live.

Assuming you're talking 67-76 A bodies... V8 cables are pretty much the same. Slant 6 cables are loner but can be used with V8s. The pedal is the same either way. Kickdowns are NOT the same.
Early A (up to '66) the pedals betwen slant 6 an V8 are different.

The gas pedals are the same, the cables are different lengths on 67 and newer A-Bodies.
V6?
They never factory installed one in an A-Body.
The SLANT 6 and V8 cable/pedal assembly are a direct bolt in/bolt out affair.
I would get a whole assembly and just change it out.
Trivia......a slant 6 cable was used in 440 6 pack B&E-Bodies because it was longer and it reached the carbs.

Sorry fellas it was a Slant 6. I have an original kickdown for Big block/727 trans that I installed. Can someone give me some details on setting the kickdown correctly? I found that one of my springs on throttle body was causing the pedal to stick.

if you're using the one piece kickdown rod it will hit the fire wall. I think you have to use the one with the bellcrank at the back of the intake. it has two rods for the kickdown. to adjust them you pull the kickdown rod forward all the way and adjust the end to fit over the stud piece on the carb throttle. a spring holds it forward. go for a test drive and see if it shifts the way you like it. if not unscrew the front part to make it longer. go for a ride.

Screw all that push me pull you Rube Goldberg factory kickdown linkage crap and put a Lokar or equivalent cable set up on it. Easy to install and adjust, way simpler and works perfect.

Lokar might not be the best way to go. Nothing wrong with the idea, but see this thread for kickdown options. As for your throttle cable: Yes, you want a correct shorter one. Fortunately the one you need is cheap and easy to get.

I had a slant 6 in my Demon and when the 383 was installed I used the Lokar Throttle cable and kick down cable. They work flawlessly and are pretty simple, look good too.

-
Back