vaccuum leak?

-

scampy72

Reaction score
hey guys was wondering if this could be a vaccuum leak in my /6. the reason im thinking this is because i have read threads with others who have been having the same problems as me. when i drive my car after a while if i stop at a light or a stop sign, whatever, the engine drops idle and dies. the only way to keep it from doing this is to drop into neutral and rev it until the light turns or power brake a bit. others who posted this problem have been told to check for vaccuum leaks. so here is the pics let me know what you think?

Attachments

• rsz_1img_2224.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 207
  • rsz_img_2225.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 198
  • rsz_img_2226.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 211
  • rsz_img_2227.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 205
What? Are we supposed to be lookin for a vacuum leak? Are you kiddin me?

What? Are we supposed to be lookin for a vacuum leak? Are you kiddin me?

lol he just beat you to the punch for this...

:worthles:

lol

could be you need to do a tune up or adjust timing or you have a vacuum leak...

look's like it needs a good cleaning first...

ok sorry i forgot to say the pics are of a couple of holes, and im wondering if they are what could be causing a vaccuum leak. sorry for confusion. the first pic is of a threaded hole in the intake and im not sure if there is supposed to be a bolt in there.
the second and third is of a "valley" on the carb, but im not sure if it goes through, it doesnt feel like it.
and the fourth is of a small hole on the bottom that isnt threaded or anything but im not sure what it is for.

and ill be sure to give it a good cleaning too ;)

Close the choke by hand while it is running. If it does not cut off, you most certainly have a vacuum leak.

I would guess, and this is a guess cause we can not find a vac leak with just pics. But I will say that from your pics those spots are not the cause of your leak, if you have one.
I would start with a good cleaning then replace all the vac lines. They all look like they need replaceing.

Put a vacuumn gauge on it.....that will tell you if there is any significant vacuum leak. Spray WD40 or similar around any suspect areas to see if idle changes. If those don't reveal anything, do a complete tune-up and carb clean if necessary.

If those holes went thru, your leak would be so bad it wouldn't run at all. I had the same rough idle symptoms in my 69 Dart 225, which drove me nuts for decades. I tried several rebuilt carbs, intake manifold, head rebuilds, even a whole new rebuilt engine, plus electronic ignition. Several mechanics said "valves" (but see above). I swore off mechanics after maybe six couldn't fix it over the years, but did take my money. I finally tried another Holley 1920 carb. It ran like a dream. Almost instant throttle response at idle and pulled hard. Conclusion - many poorly rebuilt carbs being sold. TBI is the way to go, but currently that is "roll your own" for Slants, as far as I know.

thanks all, ill look at it all. also two things, a) to clean the carb should i just spray it down with carb cleaner or what is the best way to do this? and b) does anyone sell a good kit to rebuild the carb?

Spraying the outside of the carb is mainly just for looks. If you do so, remove the choke pull-off diaphragm at the top or you will destroy the rubber diaphragm (if not already bad). The main use of carb cleaner is to spray down the throat to clean the throttle plates, and maybe clean the fuel outlets into the throat a bit. A rebuild is much better and more useful.

I would look for a good new or rebuilt carb first. For my 273, I got a new 2-barrel carb off ebay for $25. I recall seeing Holley 1920's occasionally, plus you might be able to use a later model for the Slant Six. Might also consider the Holley Economaster from the late 1970's. They made one for many carb applications for better mileage.

Hello , We have had the same issue with our 66 Dart /6. After running all the checks i.e. leaks,timing,valves and alot of head scratching we dicovered it was the idle circuit in carb and accel pump adjustment. Not to say this is fixall but it is a tough problem to diagnois and can lead in many different directions. We rebuilt carb , put new filter and the Dart runs Fantastic!. Great idle and no more big drop in RPM when put into gear. Hope this helps and good luck.

Ditto on rebuilt carbs, I had idle issues with the 64 170 in the wifes car, it had a rebuilt or reman carb on it when we bought the car. I rebuilt the carb and still had issues. Plain fact was that a forty plus year old carb was worn to the point of not being any good. In my case the thorttle shaft was worn enough to cause a vacuum leak and idle issues. I found a new Carter in the box from the early seventies, changed a few gaskets and Viola... no more idle issues...

ok thanks guys. i just replaced all the vac lines so well see if that helps, i also got some carb cleaner that im gonna try. if those dont help it then ill start looking to either rebuild or replace the carb.

Put a vacuumn gauge on it.....that will tell you if there is any significant vacuum leak. Spray WD40 or similar around any suspect areas to see if idle changes. If those don't reveal anything, do a complete tune-up and carb clean if necessary.

Ditto this. Buy a vacuum gauge, it is the best tool you can have to diagnose engine issues and tune correctly.

-
Back