Vacuum advance Question

-

moparspares

Reaction score
My car runs better with the vacuum advance hose removed and blocked. If I connect up the vacuum advance hose the car idles really rough almost stalls and shakes really really badly.

This particular distributor is a brand new A1 cardone and the Carb is also a new/reconditioned BBD Carter.

Is the problem I have leaning towards a possible vacuum leak.

You haven't said if the advance pod is attached to manifold vacuum port or venturi vacuum port. How and what degree the base timing is set matters also.
The sticker under your hood might state 10 degrees before top dead center.
That doesn't work with todays fuel.
Anyway... If you'll search related threads here you will find lots of info.
Good luck

Put a hand held vacuum pump w/ a gauge on it & see if the diaphram holds vacuum. It would also help to know where your timing is set to. Both with V.A. hooked up & unhooked.

You haven't said if the advance pod is attached to manifold vacuum port or venturi vacuum port. How and what degree the base timing is set matters also.
The sticker under your hood might state 10 degrees before top dead center.
That doesn't work with todays fuel.
Anyway... If you'll search related threads here you will find lots of info.
Good luck

Sorry Redfish but you lost me here. The vacuum advance pod hose is attached to the standard location on the back of the BBD carburetor. I have the timing set at 8 - 10 degrees with the hose removed.

Manifold vacuum is supplied from a port that is under the throttle plates. Usually in the carb base plate or the manifold itself.

Venturi vacuum is connected to a port closer to the center of the venturis above the throttle plates.

The differences are the strength of the vacuum & when it is strongest.

Does the hose that you are connecting to the vacuum advance have vacuum present at idle?

My car runs better with the vacuum advance hose removed and blocked. If I connect up the vacuum advance hose the car idles really rough almost stalls and shakes really really badly.

This particular distributor is a brand new A1 cardone and the Carb is also a new/reconditioned BBD Carter.

Is the problem I have leaning towards a possible vacuum leak.

First off, you dont have a "Brand New" distributor from Cardone. You have a rebuilt dist. I actually like their rebuilt distributors. But I have had a couple of their distributors sent out with blown vacu adv pods.
My first step would be to test the vacuum pod, and make sure it is good. A simple google search will tell you how. That would be my first step. If it looks like it has been sandblasted, its shot. Brand new ones are cheep.

-
Back