Vacuum gauge

-

Pawned

N.R.A. Lifetime Member - And damn proud of it
Reaction score
Forgive my ignorance, I am going to put a tach and oil pressure gauge in a pod on the drivers front window post. I was thinking of adding the vacuum gauge to the pod.

My question, I have a vacuum gauge that I can hook up for testing, but why would I need to monitor the engine's vacuum while driving?

I figure that if I need one I would add it to the two I plan on adding

Thanks in advance for your feedback

The only reason I know of would be the fact that you can improve your mpg by monitoring your vacuum. The less your vacuum drops the more mpg you can get. For instance, take off fast and you lose vacuum, leave a stop light like a grandma and your vacuum stays up and you get better mpg. There may be other reasons too that Idk about.

Thank you for the info. If I can find one to match I will get one.

Valve guide wear
Bad cylinder
Bad engine tune
Vacuum leaks
Leaking valves
High rpm airfilter restriction

Just a few of the things you can find out about with a vacuumgauge.

Vacuum gauge is handy for trouble shooting as well as setting up advance on the distributor and a vacuum secondary carb. But it is mostly used in the application in the dash for fuel mileage, higher vacuum better fuel mileage, lower vacuum poorer. Interesting that they call it a "Performance Indicator" in the Barracuda...on what end of the performance....you decide :)

If you are at moderate to high RPM's and completely let off the gas pedal on a manual or locked TC car and coast, you can see vacuum readings will up into the 20's. The engine is sucking like crazy then but can't get any air with the throttle closed.

A reading of 17 -21 sounds high , was that for the 340 ? Think I'm pulling a lot less than 17 at idle . If I were to buy a gauge would mechanical or electrical be best ?

My bone stock '73 318 pulls 23 vacuum at 650rpm idle in Neutral and 20 idling in Drive @ 550rpm.

20120516-73Dart-PropaneLPG-IMG_1955.jpg

A reading of 17 -21 sounds high , was that for the 340 ? Think I'm pulling a lot less than 17 at idle . If I were to buy a gauge would mechanical or electrical be best ?

My guess it was for a 273 or slant because of the web page it is from.
Depending on the cam in your 340 could cause lower vacuum.

-
Back