Vacuum, speed bleeder, or..what's the best one man bleeding system?

-
I just bought a Motive pressure bleeder a few weeks ago, and I just tried it on my Corvair yesterday after years of getting help from my wife or my dad. It works well; the only shortcoming is making sure you have a good seal at the master cylinder. It'll either push fluid out or you can hear it hissing, so it's pretty obvious. Since I have different kinds of cars, I bought the universal one. It's pretty expensive, but I like flushing out the lines every few years, so I think it will come in handy.

Motive Products 0250: Universal Power Bleeder Pro Kit Fits virtually any Car or Truck application | JEGS
I have this, works great, you might need to use a bar clamp on the MC and the Motive adapter.

untitled (110).png

Last edited:
A trick I learned over the years with aMotive pressure bleeder when you have a hard time getting a perfect season the MC, is to turn the tank side ways so only air pressure is on top of the fluid in the MC. Then every now and then upright it to push more fluid in. Nice thing about the motive system is you can buy the separate style MC adapters you need for different cars separately.

I'll put in a vote on the Motive system, works great and easy to hook up. Only thing I'll add is I use a couple of c clamps to mount on top of master cylinder.

Pardon my ignorance, but what exactly is gravity bleeding? Is it just like it sounds? Crack a bleeder open and let er flow?

Yup. Remove the M/C cap, make sure it's FULL, crack the bleeders one at a time starting in order rr, lr, rf, lf. At least, that's how I do it and it's never failed. Let them drip one at a time until you have nothing but fluid.

Opened all the bleeders once,grabbed us each a beer. After about the 3rd beer we forgot about refilling master cylinder. Started over. More than once. Doh!

a friend reverse bleeds his cars using the fuel tank from a coleman stove. Fill it, pump it and crack bleeder, but have to pull fluid out of resevoir.

Keep in mind, brake cleaner isn't necessary to clean up brake fluid. It's water soluble, except for DOT5.

-
Back