Vacuum

-

edwinator13

Reaction score
Hi! I'm getting ready to upgrade to power brakes and was wondering if anyone knows the name of the part on the manifold where I need to connect the vacuum hose. The one in the picture has two connection nipples, but it is my understanding that there is one with three connection points.

Thanks

image000000.jpg

image000000(2).jpg

image000000(3).jpg

DO NOT connect the booster to just one intake runner.
The booster needs to be connected to a reasonably constant vacuum source and the best place to get that is from the plenum, usually right under the carb.
If you connect it to just one runner, chances are very good that your engine will momentarily stutter every time you use the brakes, as the booster recovers..
BTW
The PCVvalve should be connected to the big nipple on the carb. Don't Tee into that line. I mean you could but I wouldn't. I tried that once on a 318 and she ran funny every time I stepped on the brakes. I drilled and tapped the plenum and the monkey business stopped.

Last edited:
AJ/FormS,

Thanks for the information. That makes sense the engine stuttering when the brakes are applied. Do you have a picture of the vacuum connected at the plenum that you can share?

Thanks

no sir, my days of owning slanty cars is long over.
But, if you remove your air-cleaner housing, you might just find an appropriate nipple sticking out somewhere, or at least a place to put one.

The nipple you mentioned is called IIRC, a Vacuum Tree. I have seen them with one, two, three and four branches. Usually if it has three or more, it will have one large one that fits the booster charge-line. and sometimes the doubles have one as well.
If you cannot find a ready-made access port on the plenum, then you might as well try using the port that you do have. Maybe it will work for you. I seem to recall that, a long time ago, one of my slantycars did have the booster plumbed there. But man, that is a long time ago.
If your engine idles well in gear, especially on choke, with a quick warm-up, and musters adequate vacuum on the one-leg, it will probably be fine.

Last edited:
There is no problem connecting the booster hose to an individual runner. I have owned Chrys cars that used that system.

There is no problem connecting the booster hose to an individual runner. I have owned Chrys cars that used that system.
Since it was done that way right from the factory, I believe that method is fine.

3rd-ed

ma mopar pulled vacuum for booster off the #6 since jesus was a private. it's fine.

now if you have a compromised component that is allowing an air leak in the system, then it'll run funny for sure. best to get that sorted before damaging anything.

btw, is this what you're looking for? DMPS-6994-8838 Mopar Power Brake Vacuum Hose Fitting with 1/8" & 1/4" auxiliary connections - dantesparts.com
Exactly. S'what I was thinkin too. It's just not "that difficult". lol

Exactly. S'what I was thinkin too. It's just not "that difficult". lol
it's funny how some things that should be straight forward seemingly intelligent people totally bork up. i mean, we all have bad days and miss a detail here or there, but some of the most basic mechanical **** people just can't get sorted-- but hot damn have they got a bunch of chrome and LED's and fancy *** gauges!

when i worked at a dyno shop the amount of bone headed flat *** wrong **** i saw from people and other shops was absolutely astounding.

it's funny how some things that should be straight forward seemingly intelligent people totally bork up. i mean, we all have bad days and miss a detail here or there, but some of the most basic mechanical **** people just can't get sorted-- but hot damn have they got a bunch of chrome and LED's and fancy *** gauges!

when i worked at a dyno shop the amount of bone headed flat *** wrong **** i saw from people and other shops was absolutely astounding.
I think some folks just love over thinking and over complicating things to make themselves sound intelligent. I mean hell, I know I'm stupid and I embrace it. lol

3rd-ed

ma mopar pulled vacuum for booster off the #6 since jesus was a private. it's fine.

now if you have a compromised component that is allowing an air leak in the system, then it'll run funny for sure. best to get that sorted before damaging anything.

btw, is this what you're looking for? DMPS-6994-8838 Mopar Power Brake Vacuum Hose Fitting with 1/8" & 1/4" auxiliary connections - dantesparts.com
That's the part, but, the price....yikes! There's bound to be some good used ones out there. I used to have a big box of them. PM me if you can't find one locally and I'll take a look.

-
Back