Valiant Dash Question

-

73SWING

Reaction score
So I found a 67-68 Valiant out in a junkyard and it had a lower piece on the dash that extended kind of like a ledge. I think i am gonna grab it for cigarette and lighter storage in my car. But the real question is, what cars had this and what option was it? Also, if anyone has this dash, pictures wouldnt hurt.

73 Swing, I've gotten one of these for my 69 Valiant 100, the "shelf" came from from a 68. I'm going to try to get out in the garage this week, I'll try to get some pics.
Remember, the dash structure is different at the lower edge to mount these
little shelves, you might want to grab that too, although I suppose a guy could hammer some flat spots where they mount, but why do it the hard way?
These can also be found in 67-69 barracudas, not sure what determines which cars got them.
Another goodie for Valiants is to rob the plastic glovebox liners from the 73-76 Valiants, Dusters and Darts, much better than cardboard.

Also, the plastic splash liners in the front wheelwells/fender area. Which don't fit barracudas, for some reason.
On these, the Valiant models differ from the Darts, due to the difference in the shape of the trailing edge of the front fenders, i.e., brand specific.

Happy hunting.
alan627b

Sorry Doug, it's been seen in Barracudas too....
I will not claim to be an expert on this.
Anybody have picture proof or scans of the option lists?

All '68s had them it was one year only thing and the ash tray, column cover and key hole are different. Thats a pic of a '68 frame.
Grab the entire dash if it has all the stuff as it is one year only. The later column cover will bolt up if you drill one extra hole, but IIR won't fit with the lower lip. I do have for sale an ash tray.

cuda 021.jpg

Thanks for clearing that up...the "flat spots" can be seen in the pic posted above. I think it would be tough to put the ledge on a dash shell not set up for one.
Not impossible maybe, but tough.
Alan627b

The padded lower dash was a 68 only part. It was actually meant to protect the knees in a collision. The 68 dash frame,upper cap, ash tray, and its hanger are all different from any other year model.

All '68s had them it was one year only thing and the ash tray, column cover and key hole are different. Thats a pic of a '68 frame.
Grab the entire dash if it has all the stuff as it is one year only. The later column cover will bolt up if you drill one extra hole, but IIR won't fit with the lower lip. I do have for sale an ash tray.
the shelf is not in this pic right? just the cool ash tray then the shelf bolts under the glove box?

-
Back