Valiant four-door parts car -what to keep?

-

stansabody

Reaction score
Just got a four-door parts car (too much rust) and I want to strip it of anything useful. (I'm still looking for a two-door Valiant -see my want ad). I'm guessing most things from the front seat forward will work with a two-door, but don't want to end up scrapping any useful parts even if it helps someone with a four-door car.

thanks,
Stan

Just got a four-door parts car (too much rust) and I want to strip it of anything useful. (I'm still looking for a two-door Valiant -see my want ad). I'm guessing most things from the front seat forward will work with a two-door, but don't want to end up scrapping any useful parts even if it helps someone with a four-door car.

thanks,
Stan
How is the inside windshield post trim?

Honestly when I strip a car it is what we call chicken boned. I remove everything that is bolted, screwed or clipped on saving all hardware and bagging and tagging it.. Then I cut any part off the car that can be bought, such as inner fender and braces, wheel houses etc. I usually cut the rockers off in full length to be stored trying not to damage the floor-pan as I will save it in sections if it can't be saved whole. Rocker steal is good stuff and quite often those need repairs. I have a cowl with a-pillars and firewall stored here. We don't get much call for that around here but I have seen many having to repair those. Frame rails and torsion bar cross members are also worth saving and sometimes I leave the floor-pan or trunk-pan attached, saves drilling spot welds. As you can see, I basically disassemble the whole car!

I will check on the interior a pillar trim tonight and let you know.

wow. You keep *all* of the good stuff it sounds like (probably a good idea)! My last stripped parts car had a lot of parts, but not quite to this level (to be fair it was a more common vehicle). You bring up good points about the sheet metal, etc. I will certainly keep this in mind when I start on it -hopefully this week sometime.

Stan

Re: a pillar trim -there isn't any unless you're talking about the interior-bead looking thing along the edge of the door opening. Since I'm new to a-bodies, let me know if I'm on the same page as you regarding this.

Stan

Re: a pillar trim -there isn't any unless you're talking about the interior-bead looking thing along the edge of the door opening. Since I'm new to a-bodies, let me know if I'm on the same page as you regarding this.

Stan
There is plastic trim on the inside windshield post that runs from the dash to up to the roof. I think what you are talking about is the weatherstrip that is bonded to the part that attaches to the pinch weld.

There is plastic trim on the inside windshield post that runs from the dash to up to the roof. I think what you are talking about is the weatherstrip that is bonded to the part that attaches to the pinch weld.

If need be I can take a picture of my old one.

What year is it? This is what they look like when they leave my garage

Picture 2062.jpg

Picture 2061.jpg

Picture 2060.jpg

Picture 2063.jpg

I can't believe you let those inner fenders and front suspension go

And that front clip went to a '74 Dart Sport 360 auto sunroof car that was smashed hard on the front.
Another one saved!

Nice! There was more I should have grabbed from that 67 but I had 71 dart on the way and needed the space

I have a spot weld cutter but find it kind of a pain. I usually just use a drill. I start with about 1/8" and then up-size. It just requires being careful not to go through if you're saving both pieces.

I have a spot weld cutter but find it kind of a pain. I usually just use a drill. I start with about 1/8" and then up-size. It just requires being careful not to go through if you're saving both pieces.

Do you use a gdrill?

Dartman, you can attach a photo of what you're referring to, but I don't see *any* plastic pieces that I usually see on most cars running from the dash to the roof.

I'm going to be parting out 2 67 Valiant Signets and 1 has a nice body.

-
Back