Valiant grill on a Dart sport

-

Ozdart1

Reaction score
I’m sure this has been done before but I can’t find any proof to answer my question.
I want to replace the front of my 74 Dart Sport with a 69 Valiant front end.
Can it be done with little modifications?
What parts do I need?
Will my front fenders work with a valiant grill/bumper?
Hoping someone has done this before.

Yes, it has been done. Here's some proof...
2249_p9_l.jpg

2249_p7_l.jpg

my pic's 11.JPG

@Dusterdude72 's car
IMG_0078.jpg

@moparwedden 's car
000_0017-1.jpg

000_0001-2.jpg

@diymirage 's car
20161129_171317-jpg.jpg

Now, what do you need to convert your '74 Dart Sport? That's a longer list, because all of those cars are '70-72 Dusters.

For a '74, you'll need the hood, the entire hood latch panel and support with the latch mechanism, both front fenders (your Dart fenders will not work), the front bumper and brackets, bumper fill panel, and of course the grille, headlight surrounds and parking lights. Depending on the year of the fenders you use you might also need to add mounting tabs for the fill panel and grille. Basically, you need the entire front clip from the doors/firewall forward. It doesn't necessarily have to be a complete '69 Valiant front clip, it can be from a '70-72 Duster. But you'd still need the '69 grille and make a few minor modifications like the cars above.

And then there's an added twist on the front bumper- If your '74 Dart Sport has a shock mounted front bumper, you'll need to add the mounting locations for the non-shock mount bumper brackets that you'll need to use. Early '74's came with shock mounted bumpers and no provisions for the non-shock bumpers. Sometime in December of '73 ('74 model year production), the '74's started coming with non-shock mount bumpers. So if your car has non-shock bumpers, the Valiant bumper brackets will bolt right on. But you still need all the other parts.

Last edited:
man i really need to upload some pics with the parking lights installed and my grille painted...she looks like a raccoon in that one

is the OZ dart sport identical to the US versions?
some of the export models were slightly different then our state side ones, toss up some pictures of your car for us

man i really need to upload some pics with the parking lights installed and my grille painted...she looks like a raccoon in that one

I'd like to see what you did with paint. Thinking about painting mine

did it to my 74 Scamp - hood - latch - bumper and brackets - filler panel of course the grille as I recall had to drill a couple of mounting holes can't tell you if your fenders will work

DSCF0204.jpg

SHARP.
They should produce a repop 69 grill with a retrofit kit. They are by far the cleanest offering.

I'd like to see what you did with paint. Thinking about painting mine
Here you go
The duster badge is just sitting there for now, I intend to paint the inside orange, like the car, and then mount it roughly there

20180726_093634.jpg

did it to my 74 Scamp - hood - latch - bumper and brackets - filler panel of course the grille as I recall had to drill a couple of mounting holes can't tell you if your fenders will work

View attachment 1715203503
Clean looking installation.
No, the fenders off of a Dart of any year won't work with the '69 Valiant style front end.

Thanks so much for all the info and pic's. Mine does have a shock mounted bumper, so I will need to fab something up there. The car is a Californian car. These were never exported to Australia, some parts from the Aussie valiants fit most don't.
The best option for me is to try and find a whole front clip somewhere in California, I need to ship out of L.A. to Australia.
Thanks again.

Heres another thought, what about an earlier Dart front clip from a 68/69 on a Dart Sport? Anyone have a pictures of that combo?

-
Back