Valve Cover Bolts

-
yup, cast covers need 3/8-20. Agree, studs are alot easier to deal with.

If the holes in the head are 1/4-20 (and yes, they are) how are you going to use 3/8-20 bolts or studs?!? I'm going to use loooooong studs and shouldered nuts on my fabricated valve covers.

There is no such thread as 3/8" x 20

It is 3/8" x 16 UNC

or 3/8" 24 UNF

But the valve covers are 1/4" x 20. The stock style bolts have dog points (no thread at the very end of the bolt to help the keep the factory workers from cross threading them). You can use regular bolts if you want...

my 1967 dart coronet factory service manual says all engines have 1/4-20 bolts 40 and 36 in lbs. they call it cylinder head cover bolts.

Thats what I thought. So someone tell me why bolts are cheaper for a Chevy for instance?

Because they use eight and we use ten?!? Seriously, who knows? Everything is cheaper for those guys.

Thats what I thought. So someone tell me why bolts are cheaper for a Chevy for instance?

because the mopar bolts are engineered to withstand higher horsepower output ratings then the chebies...duh

Because parts are cheaper in high volume. It's the economy of scale. The more that you buy, the cheaper that they get.

Obviously there were much more Chebbys made so they have the better economy of scale...

(But once you get to 1 million pieces a year, you pretty much have the most economical price...)

Because factory bolts from the Chevy factory were so poor you had to replace them. I'm still using 50 year old bolts with dog points and integral washers on our Plymouths. Just look at the junk Chevy put out. You had to go aftermarket just to get decent stuff.

-
Back