valve cover gaskets

-

shadow 21

Reaction score
What is the best valve cover gasket to use on a 340 with stamped steel valve covers? Having trouble getting them to stop leaking, it is chrome direct connection valve covers.

Mopar Performance rubber grey ones with steel core.

Sand off the chrome under the flange where the gasket will sit. It will give the gasket something to hold on to.

Are the flanges straight and flush? The best gaskets in the world won't help you if the covers are warped...

I've also seen where the cast surface on the cyl head is not flat. Like the casting has an imperfection. You can put some moroso AB putty to build it flat again.

Are the flanges straight and flush? The best gaskets in the world won't help you if the covers are warped...

Yup, make sure all of the hole areas are flat. Don't over tighten the bolts.

Usually what I do is run a bead of Permatex silicone along the cover where the gasket sets, put it in place and let it sit overnight. Make sure the head surface is free of little bumps etc. The next day take a bit of grease, dab a little on your finger and just put a thin film around where the gasket makes contact, that will keep it from sticking if you have to remove it.

I've also seen where the cast surface on the cyl head is not flat. Like the casting has an imperfection. You can put some moroso AB putty to build it flat again.

^^this too...

I guess I've been lucky...I rarely use anything other than plain old cork gaskets (no RTV) and haven't had any issues with leaks unless the bolts loosened up or if the gaskets were old and unserviceable.

Agree on flat flanges.

I like Fel-pro neoprene (rubber) valve cover gaskets. Tell the parts guy to look up a 67 Barracuda with a 273 4 bbl. Since they have the adjustable rocker arms, they will list the neoprene re-usable ones for it. They are also re-usable if you can get them to seal without any sealer (permatex, gaskacinch, etc).

I use on my Mopar Performance Covers

Moroso Perm-Align Valve Cover Gaskets 93050

I use on my Mopar Performance Covers

Moroso Perm-Align Valve Cover Gaskets 93050

use the moroso gaskets as well. I have the same part number on my race car. they are great.

You didn't mention if you have 1 or not but no gaskets will stop it from leaking if you don't ave some sort of good PCV system. And breathers alone won't cut it. You need something to draw the crankcase gasses out. Otherwise the pressure will force the VCs to leak(among other seals).

A set of the fel pro valve cover gaskets for the magnum engines are also a good option as long as the surfaces are smooth. They are a steel shim rubber coated gasket and reusable. They drop right onto la heads you just wont use half the holes.

I installed a set of the Fel-Pro 1646 gaskets, they are 5/16 inch thick cork gaskets with the metal in the middle of the gasket. So far so good, no leaks. Thanks for all the response, The new valve covers and air breather are installed and looking good!

Attachments

• S2010360.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 347
  • S2010363.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 318
You didn't mention if you have 1 or not but no gaskets will stop it from leaking if you don't ave some sort of good PCV system. And breathers alone won't cut it. You need something to draw the crankcase gasses out. Otherwise the pressure will force the VCs to leak(among other seals).
I have valve cover gasket leaking issues too. Mine are leaking in the same area on both sides of the engine. That would be above the 5 and 7 plug and the 6 and 8 plug. Oil is leaking out between the head and the gasket. I am going to try the Moroso gaskets and see if that helps.

I like the cork composite ones. I clamp a long 3/8 extension in a vice and use it as an anvil to straighten out the bolt flange area with a small hammer. I glue the gaskets to the valve cover with 3M weatherstrip adhesive after cleaning the surface with brake clean and then wipe a very thin film of high heat silicone on the surface that contacts the head. This allows for reuse several times. On engines with the stock cast iron manifolds that come close to the covers the cork is not such a good choice when they see alot of driving. The cork will become hard and crack after a while.

-
Back