valve cover gaskets

-

rod7515

Reaction score
I put my covers on tonight with the gaskets that were in the overhaul kit. These gaskets are a hard fiber type. I have always used cork gaskets on my cars in the past. What are the thoughts for the best sealing. Not looking to have any oil leaks once this thing is started.
Heres a pic of the covers. They are aftermarket with a flat bottom base.
Rod

View attachment IMAG0400.jpg

I like the thick fiberboard gaskets myself. I glue them to the valve covers and treat the head side with just a tad of form-a-gasket evenly but sparingly applied

If the tops of those heads are not machined flat for the gasket, take a good look at the ends of the covers and make sure you don't have a big gap.
A lot of the factory heads are arched up in the center causing fabbed covers to leave the gaps. (press down on the ends of the covers and see if the other end pops up)

Also make sure the covers are not actually just sitting on the intake runners not allowing them to sit on the head itself. (can't tell in the picture)

I like the cork ones....a little sealer on the cover and none on the head surface :glasses7:

I like the Fel-Pro neoprene rubber reusable ones.

Tell the parts guy that you have an early 273 (64-67 with solid lifters) and they will get the neoprene gaskets.

I'm going to use the Fel-pro cork gaskets that came with my gasket set on mine. Same valve covers.

Rod, what are you going to do about bolts for those? I went to the hardware store and came away disappointed. The cleanest thing I could find was a black oxide allen head bolt that didn't look too bad.

Moroso blue rubber with the steel core...never had a little been off and on several times..

Moroso blue rubber with the steel core...never had a little been off and on several times..

I have similar ones on my 340 that came in gasket set from Mopar a few years back. I have been using these on my race car 340 and have had them on and off many times and they do not leak. Do not have to use any sealant either!!

I'm going to use the Fel-pro cork gaskets that came with my gasket set on mine. Same valve covers.

Rod, what are you going to do about bolts for those? I went to the hardware store and came away disappointed. The cleanest thing I could find was a black oxide allen head bolt that didn't look too bad.

Brian, I went through the same thing with the bolts and ended up using stainless allens.
The bigger problem was the washers because they can't be any bigger than the bolt head, and if you don't use washers the bolt heads cut into the aluminum and try to bind.

Brian T n Trailbeast,
These covers came with bolts and washers. Hopefully that is what I need. I have them all started and they all worked. Am I going to have other problems?
Looks like many good options. Thanks to all for the replys.
Rod

Brian T n Trailbeast,
These covers came with bolts and washers. Hopefully that is what I need. I have them all started and they all worked. Am I going to have other problems?
Rod

I bought mine used and they were supposed to have come with the hardware, but they didn't get packed with the covers for some reason.
The seller eventually sent them, but the ones I bought were a lot nicer.

Due to the hump in the middle of the heads I needed slightly longer bolts, and had to do some creative modding for the gaskets to get a seal on the ends.
Dry as a bone for a year though.

I use these as well, with same covers as OP, no leaks. Also using the same with old M/T covers, look like they should work, haven't fired that motor yet.

Brian, I went through the same thing with the bolts and ended up using stainless allens. The bigger problem was the washers because they can't be any bigger than the bolt head, and if you don't use washers the bolt heads cut into the aluminum and try to bind.

Good to know. Thanks

Brian T n Trailbeast,
Rod

Mine came from Jegs with nothing else in the box. You should be fine though.

-
Back