Valve Cover Gaskets

-

soonercruiser

Reaction score
So, the 318 engine that I have been posting about valve cover leaks, needs new valve cover gaskets.
Some sites like Rock Auto, show gaskets, like Felpro, that have more holes in the perimeter.
My valve covers only have 5 bolts, I think.

So, What's the best/proper fitting gasket with these performance Covers?

engine bay.jpg

All of the Mopar LA engines had 5 valve cover bolts, 273, 318, 340 & 360.
Thanks for the straight answer, Demon racer.
Had nothing but modern MOPAR for 20+ years.
And, at my age the memory banks are leaking too!

I'm just using you guys responses to be sure I don't make a mistake or waste time & money!
Many parts sites don't recognize a MOPAR LA engine per se. So they show all kinds of weird part matches for a 318.

Good metal core gaskets are optimal but if you like cheap, cork and a very thin dab of rtv around the bolts works totally fine as long as you don't tighten it down too much which will crush the gasket

What's wrong with cork gaskets? I've used them for years for no problem. Just glue them to the valve cover and don't over tighten them. I never had them leak and have been able the take the valve covers off and reinstall with no leaks.

When using cork gaskets on a race car, they have a tendency to deteriorate quickly when have to check valve adjustment frequently. Been there done that, flagged off the line because if oil drips.

Whether or not it's a race car, the silicone and metal sandwich gaskets are the best bang for the buck. They don't dry out and the set that are on my bracket car are between 11 and 12 years old.

I agree with the silicone and metal sandwich gaskets, but the ones that came with the cast aluminum valve covers from Mopar Performance were great too. They were kinda thick black ones.

I bought silicone gaskets for valve cover and oil pan in my 225, 273, and 383 from Real Gaskets of Tennessee. Should last a lifetime if you don't overtorque them.

That's what a previous poster recommended, and I ordered.

Thanks again everyone, for you input.
Any of the silicone over steel core gaskets will work great. It doesn't have to be Moroso.

What's wrong with cork gaskets? I've used them for years for no problem. Just glue them to the valve cover and don't over tighten them. I never had them leak and have been able the take the valve covers off and reinstall with no leaks.
What he said. I had Bazza's 318 valve covers off about 3-4 times. and still- no leaks when we took the car back.

(FelPro's, by the way.)

Heck, I just wish someone made a silicone over steel core valve cover gasket for the slant 6. A one piece oil pan gasket would be super nice, too.

THANKS AGAIN FOR ALL THE HELP WITH VALVE COVER LEAK ISSUE!!! :thumbsup:

Replacing the loose hose from the carb, PCV valve, and it's Grommet has made a great impprovement.
Just like my trip from Iowa last week, I drove around several hours getting a new battery, extra keys, and going to Moore, OK, to Classic Industries today, and I've had little to no leakage.
This little oil that you see in this first picture is just leftovers I did not completely clean up.

show less oil blow.jpg

Rather than risk a bad fit by ordering over the web, I drove to our local Cassic Industries store in Moore, OK.
The guy there conjured a while, then found a Ford billet 1 inch cap that is a great tight, sealed fit for the passenger side.
Little more than I planned on paying; but the great fit I needed. Picture below.

passenger side new billet cap.jpg

So now, I've got a good sealed system...EXCEPT for the same kind of loose cap on the driver's side......where I have already ordered a self-baffeled air breather cap in chrome.

**So, for right now, I will clean the areas up well, and watch for any more leaking.
Maybe I can get away with delaying the valve cover gasket replacements.
:lol:

Last edited:
And today, the chrome, baffled breather came.
Again, luckily a really nice tight fit. Now the whole system is sealed up pretty good.
So, now I'll clean the engine back up and observe after driving around some.

chrome breather on driver's side.jpg

-
Back