Valve Cover Tightening pattern

-

RonsSwinger

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hello Mopar family. I have a 440 in my Dart and just changed the Valve Pan gaskets (Good quality Moroso gaskets, guaranteed not to leak……….. they leak) I am pretty sure the fault is the guy behind the wrench. I did some checking and it is recommended to tighten the covers in a cross pattern, and something like 40 in lbs of toroque (I have to verify that). Does anyone know the cross pattern for the 440. Thanks in advance Ron D

I silicone the gasket into the valve cover. Then just snug the bolts down with a nut driver. They dont need to be that tight. If you overtighten them they will leak.

Hello Mopar family. I have a 440 in my Dart and just changed the Valve Pan gaskets (Good quality Moroso gaskets, guaranteed not to leak……….. they leak) I am pretty sure the fault is the guy behind the wrench. I did some checking and it is recommended to tighten the covers in a cross pattern, and something like 40 in lbs of toroque (I have to verify that). Does anyone know the cross pattern for the 440. Thanks in advance Ron D
I always start in the middle and work towards the outside. a 1/4" drive ratchet works and get them snug. If you don't know what too tight is you may need to get a torque wrench. A little common sense will get them just right.

I always start in the middle and work towards the outside. a 1/4" drive ratchet works and get them snug. If you don't know what too tight is you may need to get a torque wrench. A little common sense will get them just right.
Thanks, That is how I tightened them originally, and figured I had better get a cross over pattern from someone. Thanks for the response Ron D

Yes I start in the middle and work my way out. If it takes more than 5 ft. Lbs. , I would be surprised. You just need to compress the gasket some and bolts tight enough to not come loose. Actually I have those t handle fasteners, hand tight. Hand tight, how tight is that? Not much.

Yes I start in the middle and work my way out. If it takes more than 5 ft. Lbs. , I would be surprised. You just need to compress the gasket some and bolts tight enough to not come loose. Actually I have those t handle fasteners, hand tight. Hand tight, how tight is that? Not much.
Thank you. I think I am too tight. I will torque the re-do

-
Back