valve cover trouble!

-

farmer260

73 Dart Sport
Reaction score
I just got my engine back from the builder! The heads are edelbrock 360 alluminum heads with PRW SS roller rockers and shafts. I went to put on my new edelbrock elite valve covers and the holes didnt line up! i got playin with them and it looks like one end of the rocker shaft is hitting the inside of the cover. has anyone come across this before? what shold i do? I do have a set of cheepo stamped steal covers and they fit fine but i was told they will most likely leek all over my nice new engine so i bought these alluminum covers.

I have never had a problem with stock covers or the MPP valve covers. Thick Fel-Pro gaskets were used or MP rubber coated race gaskets. The rubber coated one did have a minor weepage issue.

i tryed a thick felpro gasket but the shaft still hits enough so i cant line up two of the holes. i wonder if i could grind off a little of the material inside the cover to make it fit?

what shold i do? I do have a set of cheepo stamped steal covers and they fit fine but i was told they will most likely leek all over my nice new engine so i bought these alluminum covers.

They won't leak if you get a good gasket-like ROL and not the cheapest set, they make HP too, get them. Then get something like Indian Head sealant and put it around the valve cover, head and even both sides of the gaskets-make sure you clean everything with brake clean first. Then slowly tighten the valve covers, working around all 5 bolts. I get them pretty tight at the end and after the motor warms up, I re-tighten the covers once more.

Sell the alluminum covers on E-bay. If they hit now, think once the motors running fast. If you really still want alluminum covers, find a older set like from Holley or M/T....maybe the new Mopar ones are good, likely. Edelbrock stuff is like not all HP, why, I don't know.

-
Back