Valve covers for trickflow heads

-

Heywodja

The Heartbeat Stops Here
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I am in the market for some valve covers for my big block RB 440. I currently have trickflow heads installed.
I currently have the cast mopar performance valve covers. The trouble is they do not fit well on the heads and they leak because they are wider that the rails on the heads.

I was reading on the 440 source website where they explained part of the problem.
“Most aftermarket aluminum heads (including our Stealth heads, Trick Flow, Edelbrock and others) drill the valve cover bolts perpendicular to the rail. If you are planning on using these valve covers with aftermarket heads, you would need to install studs, and then bend the studs very slightly after installation so they align with the angle of the valve cover holes.”

I wonder if the trickflow valve covers or some other ones fit their heads without mods or bending fasteners, because all I see happening as I am bending the studs is cracking the bosses on the heads.

The text you copied above is specific to the fabricated valve covers sold through 440source. Factory heads were not drilled straight for some reason, and the text is indicating 440source valve covers are set up to match that angle of the factory heads. That is why using them on an aftermarket head with straight or perpendicular holes won't work. It does not apply to the cast Mopar valve covers being used on aftermarket heads because these do not use the really long bolts. Mopar cast valve covers should work on Trick Flow heads.

However, the gasket flange area of the Mopar valve covers are rough cast and are set up to use a cork or rubberized cork stock style valve cover gasket. If the gasket does not match the cover or head well it will likely leak, as you are running in to. They often crack if overtightened too, so check them very carefully.

If you do want to replace the covers, Trick Flow TFS-61611802 is a cast cover that is machined flat, so it works better with all types of gaskets on any head with a machined flat valve cover rail like your Trick Flow heads.

The text you copied above is specific to the fabricated valve covers sold through 440source. Factory heads were not drilled straight for some reason, and the text is indicating 440source valve covers are set up to match that angle of the factory heads. That is why using them on an aftermarket head with straight or perpendicular holes won't work. It does not apply to the cast Mopar valve covers being used on aftermarket heads because these do not use the really long bolts. Mopar cast valve covers should work on Trick Flow heads.

However, the gasket flange area of the Mopar valve covers are rough cast and are set up to use a cork or rubberized cork stock style valve cover gasket. If the gasket does not match the cover or head well it par valve covers are drilled to cite will likely leak, as you are running in to. They often crack if overtightened too, so check them very carefully.

If you do want to replace the covers, Trick Flow TFS-61611802 is a cast cover that is machined flat, so it works better with all types of gaskets on any head with a machined flat valve cover rail like your Trick Flow heads.

I used studs on the heads when I assembled the engine and when I installed the mopar cast valve covers they are a ***** to initially install, I kind of rocked them back and forth and used a rubber mallet and gently persuaded them to to seat. It makes sense now that i know the mopar valve cover bolt attaching holes were drilled at different angle.

The mopar ones look great but leak like hell, I plan on replacing them any way, I was just wondering I’d the trickflow ones were actually machined to fit their head. In todays trying times, one should not assume LOL

i use standard mopar valve covers on my ede heads and trick flow , maybe i'm just lucky never had problems

i use standard mopar valve covers on my ede heads and trick flow , maybe i'm just lucky never had problems

small block or big block?

This problem is on a big block, I currently have mopar performance ones on it. The flanges on the valve covers are wider that the heads, combine that with the fastener angles and that is the root of the problem

This problem is on a big block, I currently have mopar performance ones on it. The flanges on the valve covers are wider that the heads, combine that with the fastener angles and that is the root of the problem

I have stock mopar perf. covers on victor knock off heads , no problem ...

-
Back