Valve lash

-

doopdoop67

Reaction score
Hey guys I just got my 360 running. Bored .30 over flat tops edlebrock top end kit roller rockers and an air gap. Anyway I got about 500 miles on it and it’s got some kinda ticking going on. Sounds like a lifer or rocker arm? Do you guys usually check your rockers and everything after a break in? If so how do you do it. Doesn’t sound too bad but as the car gets warm and I let off the throttle it ticks for a second and goes away. Hopefully it’s something simple

Check for an exhaust leak 1st, then the dip stick for metallic in it..then if you're up to it...pull a valve cover and feel for loose push rods and or rockers.

Is it under load, wot, as well as deceleration?

Check for an exhaust leak 1st, then the dip stick for metallic in it..then if you're up to it...pull a valve cover and feel for loose push rods and or rockers.

Is it under load, wot, as well as deceleration?
Checked for exhaust leak and oil looks clean. It’s all the time but I can only hear it clearly on deceleration because it’s hard to hear over my exhaust.

Are you using stock rockers?

Hey guys I just got my 360 running. Bored .30 over flat tops edlebrock top end kit roller rockers and an air gap. Anyway I got about 500 miles on it and it’s got some kinda ticking going on. Sounds like a lifer or rocker arm? Do you guys usually check your rockers and everything after a break in? If so how do you do it. Doesn’t sound too bad but as the car gets warm and I let off the throttle it ticks for a second and goes away. Hopefully it’s something simple
You didn't mention how much preload on your hydraulic lifters.

Are you using stock rockers?
No they are roller rockers

48AFB4E6-ADEB-4365-A72B-AA74E4B26DE7.jpeg

That’s handy! Thanks
I actually ordered that sticker and it should be here soon to slap inside my engine bay... I have solid lifters so it's just use a feeler gauge, but with hydraulics you go through that procedure and I think the deal is you should be able to loosen the lifter adjustment until you can spin the pushrod in your fingers freely and then tighten it down till it just touches and stops the spinning motion that you're putting on it and that is right at the top of your preload. Then you tighten it another half turn or so to set some preload.. lock adjuster and move on...

While running...cover off... with a thin pc of cardboard to keep oil off headers... balled up rag in one hand push on rockers to see which get quiet...the loosen adjuster nut and tighten adjuster just till its quiet, then lock the nut..and move to the next.

If you crack loose the lock nuts and then 'lightly snug' before firing it up ..it may be easier in regards to getting loose while the rocker is teetering @800 rpms.

While running...cover off... with a thin pc of cardboard to keep oil off headers... balled up rag in one hand push on rockers to see which get quiet...the loosen adjuster nut and tighten adjuster just till its quiet, then lock the nut..and move to the next.

If you crack loose the lock nuts and then 'lightly snug' before firing it up ..it may be easier in regards to getting loose while the rocker is teetering @800 rpms.
The noise is actually not valve train. A bolt the holds the flex plate to the converter stripped out and loosened up. Hope I can fix it

LMAO! Keep it simple, right? crank end play: back off throttle and crank moves forward causing high bolt head to hit.

-
Back