valve seal question

-

1970-dart

Reaction score
i searched some but not seem to come up with what im looking for so thanks in advance for any help and my bad if its been covered.

doing valve seals in my worn out but runs great 1969 318. the ones on the heads are all the umbrella type that fit down snug over the top of the guide. the new ones are two different kinds as you can see in the picture. the umbrella ones will fit over the valve stem and snug over the guide and from what i see go on the intake valves and the other look to go on the exhaust valves. but the ones for exhaust valves seem to just slide over the stem and of course not snug over the guide.

i have only done seals once before and its a pretty straight forward easy job but these shorter seals have me a bit stumped.

again thanks in advance

View attachment vs1.jpg

That is correct for the 'replacement' Valve Seals.

The Exhaust Valve 'seal' is supposed to 'ride' with the Valve Stem.

That is correct for the 'replacement' Valve Seals.

The Exhaust Valve 'seal' is supposed to 'ride' with the Valve Stem.

Perfect and thank you so much. I was kinda reading it someplace onlibe but was having hard time believing it lol

My head guy likes to use the "intake" style from the picture on both intake and exhaust valves.

A lot of old time machinists throw the exhaust seals in the trash. There is really no need for them.

Umbrella Valve Stem Seals 'Shorty-style'

They are fine for general performance seals, unless the Valve Guide has excessive wear.

Theory > An extra splash of oil on the 'Exhaust Valve Stem' during operation helps with a little additional cooling and lubrication.

th

I think it's not as much of an oiling issue as a sucking issue. There's no vacuum pulling oil down the guide. I'll run nothing or the lightest seal I can fit on the exh side too.

-
Back