Valve Seals / Air Chuck

-

blackace

The KING of flats
Reaction score
Does anyone know where I can pick up an air chuck that will fit the spark plug hole? I need to replace the valve seals in my 318 and don't want to pull the heads. Also, what psi should I set the chuck to? Any tips or tricks are welcome.

take an old sparkplug and take all the ceramic internals out and braze an air fitting to it.

I like to use a peice of rope in the cylinder instead. No chance of lost pressure, and no compressor needed. Put the piston to TDC on compression, then rotate the crank 90* counter clockwise (backwards) to get the pistons down in the bore. Then slide the rope thru the spark plug hole, and bring the piston back up until it stops. this will hold the valves up so You can work with them. I like clothes line myself..about 2' is more than you'll need. (you dont want to fill the cylinder when it's down in the bore, just fill the space when the piston is at TDC)

Ditto on what 69DartGT said. I just brazed an air line fitting to an old spark plug with the ceramic knocked off, and it works like a charm. I've been using this same fitting for about 25 years now and it's never failed me. You don't have to worry about finding TDC with this, believe me - everything arranges itself when you hook up the air line. :) I just leave the regulator set to wherever it is at the time, usually around 100 PSI.

Sid
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2115668

I have a set that fits both size spark plug holes, think I got it from NAPA.

I've done it both ways and the rope method is safer / better . If you ever had a stuck keeper and lost compression and dropped a valve into the cylider before or had the engine roll over with the compression you would understand

-
Back