Valve seals

-

tekslk

Reaction score
I was having trouble with oil consumpsion, after doing some reading I found out you shouldnt use the umbrella seals on double springs. What can I use without doing machine work or should I just get single springs and use them? I have a comp cam with 484 lift, will my retainers work on single springs or should I get everything new or what? Looking for some ideas here.

What spring does comp recommend? single or dual.

How were when is the oil consumption?

Comp says dual springs onmost there cams its not a real wild cam, oil consumption started right after the rebuild and I read the unbrella seals shouldnt be used on dual springs, so what do you use without machine work?

Are you sure you have dual valve springs ? That cam could probably use a #901 spring which is a sigle with a damper .

Oh yea Im sure after reading I suspect the seals are smashed looking for ideas.

Are you sure you have dual valve springs ? That cam could probably use a #901 spring which is a sigle with a damper .

The .484" Comp nostalgia grind calls for the 995-16 spring which is a dual spring.

Tekslk, i've been looking at their singles and i see a few that would fit, but the pressure isn't quite up to spec. Have you called them to see if the'll recommened a single for you? Doubt they want to vary from there published springs, but may be worth a shot.

P.S. The 995-16 specs show it uses a damper spring also? Just wondering if that is removed would you have enough seal clearance? If so, i doubt it would hurt the spring performance much, if at all.

The classic sign of bad valve seals is a puff of blue smoke when accelerating after sitting at a stop light. It mainly sucks in oil at high vacuum, which occurs at idle. I don't think you would notice much oil consumption even if the umbrella seals were totally gone, as long as the valve stems are good. You would mainly see exhaust smoke.

If you had high oil consumption (say 1 qt per 200 miles) from oil burning, your exhaust would be a mosquito fogger. Try driving behind your car, with the driver accelerating hard from 40 mph, then after sitting at idle for 2 minutes. If you see no smoke, you aren't burning anything significant. Best to view the exhaust with the sun in the background. If no smoke, start looking for leaks. Do you have a remote oil filter w/ hoses? Do you have a mechanical oil pressure gage with a tube to the dash?

if i remember right that 995 spring is pretty tough spring had them on my 555 lift comp cam..484 is a long way from there and prob. wont work well.. but i may be wrong..

i have a set of the 901-16 here for cheap if they will work for you..

This also isnt a race just a nice high performance driver, I think I saw a 995-01 that may work for my application, I get on it once in awhile it sees 6000 once in a while.

This also isnt a race just a nice high performance driver, I think I saw a 995-01 that may work for my application, I get on it once in awhile it sees 6000 once in a while.

I think that's the spring you have now? Did the springs come with the cam as a kit? I used 995-16 but that's just for a set instead of a single. The closest single i see is the 942. Same installed height, but a tad narrower on the id at 1.03 and a hair less pressure. I think i'd email or call comp to get their input. Also, a spring change may require a retainer change also.

-
Back