valve spring height question

-
...thought I had something to contribute, but not really...

...anyway I'd personally rather buy different springs/locks/retainers before I cut the heads more unnecessarily.

i am going tomorrow to get a price on the comp retainer 741 and locks 627, like IQ52 did and hope it gives me an extra .032 increase in height. if i did my math correct i can set my installed height at
1.870 with every spring no more than .018 added height.
so my shortest will be no less than 1.870
and tallest will be no more than 1.888
again the installed height on my #911 spring is 1.900
so if i can reach those #'s does that sound good? thanks

So i ended up taking my heads back to the machine shop and they agreed to redo some of the valves to get the installed height closer to 1.865. When i got the heads back they were all pretty much 1.865 . So to get even closer to 1.900 ( what my #911 springs call for). I bought comp retainers# 741 and locks # 627. i heard they add .032" to your height when changing over from stock retainers and locks. So when i installed the new retainers and locks tonight i relized that they added .020 on the exhaust valves and .060 on the intake valves. the reason the difference in the intake and exhaust heights is in the locks. i think they make the ex height tighter because they expect the exhaust to get pounded into the seats. anyways as of now all my intake valves are 1.925 and exhaust are 1.880
+/- .003. my question is should i leave as is? or shim the intake spirings .030 ? I am aiming for 1.900. thanks

-
Back