Valve Spring Help

-

Tims 66 Cuda

Mopar mid life crisis
Reaction score
I,m building out a set of bare Speedmaster heads. I have Ferrea Valves with 2.02 intake and 1.62 exhaust @ 5.010 length. I,m running Comp 995-16 springs. Heres the thing, installed height should be 1.700 as per Comp. Mine with micrometer read 1.840. Pressures should be 115# closed and 335#open. At this combination height with a.060 shim, I have 115# closed and 295#open. My question is will 40# loss open do any damage for a street engine. Any and all help welcome.

Tim

Yeah, those are like big Chevy springs, aren't they?

Thanks for the reply, they are the springs that came with the cam kit but I understand what your saying

Thanks Tim

I,m building out a set of bare Speedmaster heads. I have Ferrea Valves with 2.02 intake and 1.62 exhaust @ 5.010 length. I,m running Comp 995-16 springs. Heres the thing, installed height should be 1.700 as per Comp. Mine with micrometer read 1.840. Pressures should be 115# closed and 335#open. At this combination height with a.060 shim, I have 115# closed and 295#open. My question is will 40# loss open do any damage for a street engine. Any and all help welcome.

Tim
Easy enough to find a good selection of springs in the 1.800 installed height range, and shim as needed

And you might wanna check out my thread "390 stroker build" for some other interesting tidbits on those speedmaster heads...

I see no reason why you cannot run the Comp 901.

The spring pockets need to be big enough, the inner guide needs to for inside the inner spring. A spring cup could/might be available to fix that.

Is the inner riding on the guide step? Hence the [email protected] but only 295 open.
Those springs are sometimes iffy on open pressure fwiw. Last set I used ended up like 145 iirr seat to get 335 open..

Last edited:
I,ll recheck that inner spring tomorrow, I,ve damn near pulled my hair out today. Probably should have livened up a set of iron heads, but NO.

Thanks, Tim

The spring pockets need to be big enough, the inner guide needs to for inside the inner spring. A spring cup could/might be available to fix that.

Is the inner riding on the guide step? Hence the [email protected] but only 295 open.
Those springs are sometimes iffy on open pressure fwiw. Last set I used ended up like 145 seat to get 330 open..

Every slant 6 head I have here besides my closed chamber head....that's seven besides it, will fit a 1.550 OD big block spring in the stock spring pockets. I couldn't believe it. The closed chamber head lacked just a small amount of not fitting them, but it fits them now.

I,ll recheck that inner spring tomorrow, I,ve damn near pulled my hair out today. Probably should have livened up a set of iron heads, but NO.

Thanks, Tim

I'm just throwing out some things that could be and the kinda seat you would see to get 335 open. What retainers are you also using? Pop up or negative .050 locks are out there too.

Im using the retainers that came with the cam kit. I dont recall the # right now. I,ve seen talk of negative locks/ retainers

Thanks Tim

Speedmaster uses 5.010 valves in their small block heads. I have the same length from Ferrea. Im trying to find out what diameter and height valve spring they use. Im finding a 1.450 dia. spring but no install height.

Tim

Speedmaster uses 5.010 valves in their small block heads. I have the same length from Ferrea. Im trying to find out what diameter and height valve spring they use. Im finding a 1.450 dia. spring but no install height.

Tim

What's your installed height? No offense, but you're makin this way harder than it is.

Speedmaster with 5.010 valves will like a 1.80 installed height....will still require some shims under the spring.

Rusty yes thats right. My kit came with 1.700 springs and Im trying to see what can make this work

Tim

70aarcuda, thats what Im thinking trying to find springs that will work for this build

Thanks, Tim

Rusty yes thats right. My kit came with 1.700 springs and Im trying to see what can make this work

Tim

That's gettin close to big block sprAng territory. Take a look at the 911-16. If it'll fit the sprAng pockets, they'll work I believe.

Ok will do

Thanks Tim

I'm gonna use the 911 on my closed chamber slant 6 head. The 318 valves I had put in are .300" longer than slant 6 valves, so I needed a different sprAng. Mine are right in the same territory. 1.840 "or so" without shims. The 911s are gonna work good.

-
Back