Valve stem seal tool

-

sireland67

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
What tool is used to change valve stem seals on a box stock 318 without removing the heads?

I have a regular valve spring compressor, and know which ones are use on a chevy, but what one is used on a shaft mounted mopar?

I bought a stone stock 78 power wagon with low miles from the original owner, but it blows a big blue smoke screen out the exhaust when it starts up cold after sitting overnight.

I believe there is or was one similar to Chebby but you had to strip the rocker shaft bare and then reinstall it for the tool to work. The one I've had for many years is a KD,

like this one:

http://www.tooltopia.com/kd-tools-2...m=cse&utm_term=KDT2078&utm_campaign=nextag_r1

The valve locks (keepers) usually stick in the retainers, so you normally have to bring each piston to TDC, stuff some soft rope into the cylinder and then give the retainer a tap with a hammer to dislodge them

Thanks guys, for the tool info, I have never changed seals with the heads on.

Which do you think is easier, I like the pull type puller, but the screw type KD might be safer, I have plenty of room in the truck for either.

Also I like the kid's home made tool, that is what I had in my mind that would work.
I have used shafts, rockers, plate, and pipe for a handle, and a good welder.

I use this one....

Don't forget to put some air, or a length of rope, in the cylinder to keep the valves up.

Attachments

• KDValveSpringTool.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 152
-
Back