Valve train noise

-

Billbo

Reaction score
Hi all. I am wondering whether the even rocker/valve bank is inherently a little louder than the odd bank of the engine. It doesn't seem to be one particular rocker tapping its just all collectively slightly louder than my passenger side. Is it worth pulling off rocker covers and checking the preload and other components?
Regards
Billy D...

Check to see if the Push Rods are rubbing on the push rod holes in the heads. They will make noise

The engine has been running for years with this setup but I will check that. I could have missed it.
Thanks...

whether the even rocker/valve bank is inherently a little louder than the odd bank of the engine
No, silly boy, not inherently. Hydraulic lifters, properly preloaded, are dead-quiet, which is why they were invented. If they are noisy, something is wrong, check your oil-pressure.
Has it always been noisy?
or is this a new development?

When valve train noise first starts showing up, first thing to check is the oil pressure.

Low or no oil pressure, lifters won't pump up and yes then they all make noise.

Put an oil gauge on it to see where you are at, idiot light may have burned a bulb after 50 years not warning you of the problem.

Plugged oil filter, plastic timing chain gears coming apart an getting stuck in the oil pickup screen.

Rods and Mains and Cam bearings getting wore out not holding pressure anymore.

Cam going flat from running old mopar engines without the recommended zinc additives in the oil.

New oils do not have the zinc in them. Needed for the early flat tappet cam engines.

Oil pressure all check out nothing has changed. I will take rockers off and check the preload. Its not a tap/ ticking sound. Just seems a little louder on that bank overall than the other.

Oil pressure all check out nothing has changed. I will take rockers off and check the preload. Its not a tap/ ticking sound. Just seems a little louder on that bank overall than the other.

Adjustable rockers?

With hydraulic lifters?
With Solid lifters?

Stock Mopar Valve Train, hydraulic lifters?

Louder than the other [ side ] suggests both sides are noisy, but one side is noisier than the other.
If high mileage, might be worn lifters/lobes or valve/valve guides.
Where are you in Australia?

Rockers are adjustable. Hydraulic lifters. I'm in Sydney.
Regards
Billy D...

I was gonna' ask what engine and what mods.

Adjustable rockers with hydraulic lifter seems kinda overkill.

Agree about oil pressure/condition.

Mopars will "let you know" if you are low or need to change the oil due to old or viscosity.

How old is your oil, and what brand?

Regards
Billy D...

Oh OK, that is simple. Just give them another 1/4 to 1/2 turn to tighten them up.

Your hydraulic Lifter is at the end of it's stroke and can no longer compensate for the minimal wear.

Need to get the hydraulic plunger back into the middle of it's stroke, not at the end like it is now.

Regards
Billy D...

Have you seen any Australian "318 FOUR BARREL" emblems down there that people can buy?

Screenshot_20220420-090032_Firefox.jpg

Any new noise and it’s talking to you. I always try to listen to it. Yes, pull a cover and inspect everything.

George when you mean get the plunger in the lifter half way down its stroke, that could be a couple of turns at least yes? And also roughly what would be the total stroke of a dry lifter?

Lifters get noisy when there is no preload at all.
Most lifters have around .095 total travel; so while you could adjust your preload anywhere you want to from plunger at the top to plunger at the bottom; The thing is, at zero pre-load , they cannot pump up at high rpm in the event that the springs can't keep the valvetrain together. And if they can't pump up, then they cannot drive a valve into a piston, which can and does destroy engines.
So then, most of us run the plunger at the top and then drive it down from 1/2 to 1.0 turns, depending on how often you are willing to adjust them.
I read what George said too, and not sure where he's going with that, so give him a chance to respond
@George Jets

George when you mean get the plunger in the lifter half way down its stroke, that could be a couple of turns at least yes? And also roughly what would be the total stroke of a dry lifter?

Don't make it too complicated. A friend came by with a $15,000 dollar built 440 engine with noisy lifters on startup, a brand new engine with less than 1000 miles on it. Turned down the adjustable rockers 1/4 turn, it was better. Then turned them them down the Full 1/2 Turn and the problem went away.

Need to put more Pre-Load on your lifters till they stop making noise.

Bill,
Also in Sydney, North Shore. Happy to have a look at it. PM if interested

Bill,
Also in Sydney, North Shore. Happy to have a look at it. PM if interested
Bewy. You may know an old timer called Bill Laney "Max Wedge Performance" here in Sydney. My roller rockers are his first generation design which I bought in the early nineties. I had them with my 318 and now have put them on my 360 so they are pretty old rockers. Just wondering if you know them. I will take a photo when I take off the covers. I won't be doing it this week. Ill start next week so stay tuned.

Yup, met Bill & saw his rockers. They were pretty heavy. He was living at Dural I think. I think he has passed on. Do you know Keith Clews?

Yup, met Bill & saw his rockers. They were pretty heavy. He was living at Dural I think. I think he has passed on. Do you know Keith Clews?
Yes I have met him too. In regards to Bill's rockers they are the ones I have. And yes they are heavy. Very chunky looking rockers. Bill has passed away several years ago but I think his son has taken over.

I have checked everything. And all looks o.k. the preload on all the lifters were right on where I left them about 4 years ago. 3/4 of a turn. Some lifters were bled down because the valves were open. Thats normal. I checked the pitch of the threads on the adjusters and found that one turn is exactly 0.040". So I readjusted all lifters to one turn. How much side play should the rockers have? They do have some side play.

-
Back