Van 727 question

-

70DartMike

Too many projects
Reaction score
I have a 76/77 ?? 727 from a Dodge Van, attached to a 318. I want to use the 727 behind my 340. What do I need to change, just the yoke? I have a car yoke from a 904, will it fit? Or am I into a deal of trouble here, trying to use a van transmission in a car?

A 904 yoke doesn't fit in a 727. Assuming its a long tailshaft 727 you"ll need a shorter driveshaft, if the trans has a short tailshaft and a brake drum bolted it look for a different trans. Im not 100% sure but I think the shift linkage (Z bar) is shorter for a 727.

Van transmissions are the same as car transmissions (long tail shaft) so it should be no trouble at all except the driveshaft will need to be shorter and have the 727 yoke. The shift linkage is the same. Is your 340 internally or externally balanced? If it's a newer externally balanced 340 you'll need to either get the B&M flex plate that properly balances your engine or get a converter for a 340 external balance engine.

You should be able to use that transmission without much of a problem except for finding a driveshaft.If it is the long tailshaft trans then it's a somewhat common driveshaft if you have an 8 3/4 rear but if it's a shorty trans then you'll probably have to get a longer driveshaft shortened to fit or have one custom made.

Another thing you might want to look into when it's up and running is the governor which is probably set up for truck use and will upshift pretty early at WOT so you might want to upgrade to a performance oriented one eventually.You also might have to swap out the speedometer gears depending on the axle ratio in the Van compared to what's in your car if you want your speedo to read somewhat accurately.

Van transmissions are the same as car transmissions (long tail shaft) so it should be no trouble at all except the driveshaft will need to be shorter and have the 727 yoke. The shift linkage is the same. Is your 340 internally or externally balanced? If it's a newer externally balanced 340 you'll need to either get the B&M flex plate that properly balances your engine or get a converter for a 340 external balance engine.

Is the C-clip access plate in the same place van vs. car?

I had a trans in my Barracuda that had the access plate on the side of it. Keeps baning the trans tunnel and wiping out motor mounts. I figured it out, and just swapped the tail shaft for the correct downward facing access plate and all has been cool!

Is the C-clip access plate in the same place van vs. car?

I had a trans in my Barracuda that had the access plate on the side of it. Keeps baning the trans tunnel and wiping out motor mounts. I figured it out, and just swapped the tail shaft for the correct downward facing access plate and all has been cool!

I have never seen one on the side of a van trans. but it's possible since they are in essence a truck and the side mount access plate was only used on trucks.

-
Back