Vapor canister and purge valve hell

-

dddDuster

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I’ve decided to add a vapor canister and purge valve set up to my 70 Duster. I’ve read SSD’s article over on Allpar about 20 times, I still can figure out how to make my set-up work. 70 /6 with super six manifold and BBD carb with bowl vent. It would seem I need a vapor canister with 3 hose connections- fuel tank vapor in, bowl vent vapor in and output to purge valve. The current vapor canister seems to be ACDelco - Vapor Canister SLP-1 215-153 Black per Dan’s updated article, but it only has one input it seems. The old Mopar canister had 2 inputs at least from the photos I’ve seen. I also found the drawing below in one old thread, but it doesn’t seem to be correct for a carb with a bowl vent. Hopefully @slantsixdan or someone else can help?
44D800B9-46A3-4F73-B335-976C268CD53C.jpeg

Cheers,
Tim

The only other input I can think of would be the carb bowl vent.

The only other input I can think of would be the carb bowl vent.
Right, but the Delco unit has some kind of plastic plug or cover on it which from what I’ve read is not to be removed. The port marked “plug” doesn’t seem to exist on cans you can buy these days.

You can tee or wye the hose from the bowl vent to the hose from the tank vent. Do it within a few inches of the charcoal can, then proceed per the article (and your diagram): purge valve gets triggered by teeing into the vacuum advance hose; purge line runs from charcoal can thru purge valve to PCV tee.

Thanks Dan, will do. I had considered that but somewhere in the gobs of threads I read, I thought I read that was a bad idea. Thanks again and I will give it a go!

If you have an EGR valve, is it recommended to leave that blocked with this setup.

-
Back