Variable Wiper Alternative

-

jhdeval

Reaction score
Okay so my wiper switch is and has been blown but replacements when are hard to come by and crazy expensive. Has anyone thought or tried any alternatives? IE Intermittent wiper circuits or other wiper switchs? I have looks at the intermittent wiper circuits and I think they would work but how would I wire the park function?

I am assuming the wiper switch is for your 65 Barracuda? My 66 has variable speed too, and is likely similar. I looked at the factory manual and discovered a few things. The speed is controlled with a variable resistor on the motor field. The park system seems special (odd). It has an external cam and spring mechanism on the external arm crank linkage of the motor. It is not clear, but it might depress a MicroSwitch in gear head It actually reverses the motor direction for park. I suggest looking at the manual and go over the particular problems There are diagnostics and service procedures.

It is such an odd system, I doubt it is possible to retrofit a standard intermittent control.

Switches can be repaired if it is a matter of loose rivet connections on terminals or other adjustments. Careful cleaning and soldering with high content silver solder, using a Weller induction (transformer) iron works for me.

I have seen one off of like a Taurus on a dart. The turn signal type it worked Idk what all they did but looked ugly as hell lol.

if you put an intermittent switch in it would still change when the motor got a signal. you couldn't make it faster than stock but you could have delay just from a switch and a inline delay module . I have been thinking of doing this to my duster with a 90s jeep switch. I hate having to turn them on and off all the time. it wouldn't be all that hard its simple electronics most have one wire.

There are several differences so what works for mine may not work for all. My wiper switch has a push to wash function. That sends power to the washer pump and nothing more. The later model switches would rotate to low speed when pushed and they will reverse the wiper direction to park. Mine did neither of those.
I switched to a foot operted washer pump setup. I attached the brown wire that did go to the electric pump to the motors park switch. Now one push of the switch knob produces 1 wiper sweep/cycle and back to the park position. No it isn't a variable intermittent but no fancy electronics were needed either.

I agree the system is wierd and there are dozens of different intermittent wiper switches. There is one on eBay right now that matches my number but it is 250 dollars gah. I almost choked when I saw that. That is when I looked into other ideas. I like the idea of the mustang switch because they are inexpensive. I had found intermittent wiper electronics but I could not find a way to se the park switch. I found a youtube video for an effects guy that uses wiper motors but his setup would not work to use it properly.

I am assuming the wiper switch is for your 65 Barracuda? My 66 has variable speed too, and is likely similar. I looked at the factory manual and discovered a few things. The speed is controlled with a variable resistor on the motor field. The park system seems special (odd). It has an external cam and spring mechanism on the external arm crank linkage of the motor. It is not clear, but it might depress a MicroSwitch in gear head It actually reverses the motor direction for park. I suggest looking at the manual and go over the particular problems There are diagnostics and service procedures.

It is such an odd system, I doubt it is possible to retrofit a standard intermittent control.

Switches can be repaired if it is a matter of loose rivet connections on terminals or other adjustments. Careful cleaning and soldering with high content silver solder, using a Weller induction (transformer) iron works for me.

I have been in the switch a couple of times. I cleaned it applied some wd40 to the contacts and reassembled. The problem is it keeps shorting to ground.

If I drove my car in the rain often or if I just wanted to be cute,
I could put a hidden switch under the edge of the left kick panel and run the wipers as needed with my foot.

Some of the Mopar motors are truly bizzare, and may not be easily adaptable. This is something, that because I don't have a "staff" of used motors to dissect, have not studied, but I've read some. Some of these use a REALLY oddball park setup where the motor reverses itself.

Might not be as easy as you think to adapt, unless you are willing to do away with park.

I would never use WD40 in a switch, it turns to sticky glue like honey. CRC electronics parts cleaner is what to use. If switch shorts there are likely loose terminals. With care rivets can be tightened and clear epoxy used to fix insulators. I made a repairs in the early 80s that still work today. I learned from my dad, almost anything can be fixed, and results can be better than new.

While the FSM suggests the motor reverses, it would take contacts to reverse the polarity on the field, or armature, not both. I am wondering if the exotic linkage results in reversal as the motor is turned off and torque reverses.

Mine still works, and I am getting too old to tear into it for curiosity.

-
Back