Vehicle running warm 360 la

-
Post #2 says it .
But I'll add that you need to make sure that your vacuum advance is working and pulling in at least mid-teens.
However;
I had one engine that did not respond properly no matter what I did.
I tore it down, put another .001 skirt clearance into her and opened up the ring gaps several thousandths, badaboom problem solved. So much so that , that I undid some of the previous mods that I had done in an effort to run cooler. I even installed a 195 Hi-flo, and reset the max Temp to 207*F, and that is what she has run ever since.
------------------------------------------------------------
Also; check your ignition timing. If the timing is overly-retarded, the heat of combustion will go into the cylinder walls as the piston is going down, and guess what is on the outside of the walls, lol.. Plus at certain times, the mixture may not finish burning in the chamber on the power stroke, and the piston may push the still burning mixture into the exhaust system. On it's way out, it heats the ports...... which are surrounded by water, so there goes more heat into the cooling system.
>>At idle, the timing is always retarded. It doesn't matter what you set it too, it will always be retarded. How much? well here's how you figure out what she wants. Set the idle to 750, then pull in some timing, say 5 degrees. Reset the idle to 750. Repeat until the idle rpm no longer increases, them back the timing off a couple . Now, read the timing. Whatever you get is what she wants. Don't be surprised to see a number at or over 30*.
Now, set your rpm to 2400, and again pull in timing/reset the rpm as before. When the rpm no longer rises, back it off a tad. Whatever you get is what the engine wants at that 2400rpm with no load on it. Don't be surprised to see a number over 50*.
Obviously, you cannot put a load on an engine set up like that, lest it detonate itself to pieces. So put it back where it started from. Then think about what you just learned and how to make use of the lesson.
At WOT/full load and not detonation limited , the 360 LA will like about 35* of timing after about 3600 rpm., plus/minus 1 or maybe 2 degrees. Unless you have alloy heads and on the street, then I recommend 34* . These numbers are pretty much set in stone so don't mess with them. But how you get there is entirely up to the engine, and the load on it. I highly recommend to start at around 12 to 16 degrees depending on where that puts the Transfer-slot to mixture screw synchronization, which is also more or less written in stone, at an exposure of square to slightly taller than wide. Once you set that, then you control the idle speed with timing and or idle-air bypass.
The point of all this, is that you get the combustion process contained in the chamber/and top of the cylinder, and all of the fuel burned up before it exits the cylinders. Thus you get maximum energy transferred to the crank, and minimum energy transferred into the cooling system. With electric fans, you cannot afford to get too far out of the groove.
My best advice, I don't care about anyone else's opinion, is to over-engineer your cooling system using; a 7-blade, hi-attack angle, all-steel fan; and then put a thermostatic clutch on the fan to control the temp within a very narrow range.
BTW; when you do this right, you don't need a mega-dollar rad. My rad is factory circa 1973, off a 318 Dart with A/C. Nor do you need to run the pump in overdrive. Granted my engine, by it's trapspeed, is only putting out about 430hp crank.
>>If you think the 7-blade fan is a power-hungry monster that certain Performance magazines say it is; lemmee ease your pain. What's more important to you; a few horsepower at WOT, or keeping your engine from melting down? With the T-clutch I can almost guarantee you that both you and your engine will hardly know it's on there. It will do all it's work at speeds under about 30/35 mph , then more or less freewheel, unless maybe you are working a roadcourse. And I gotta tell you, seeing the gauge at the same old spot EVERY time I look at it, no matter what lunacy I have just been doing, is worth every single horsepower it might rob from the crank.
Am I recommending you swap off those electric fans?
Well no, but;
sooner or later, you are probably gonna anyway.........., and when you do, pay attention; a clutched fan, on the street, is not the monster that some people will try to make you believe it to be. I'm not talking about FABO people; they're a good bunch.

Last edited:
Two things come to mind here, one of which @Dana67Dart mentioned: Did you get the system fully bled after the AC was installed? Lack of hot air at the dash hints at an air pocket in the system at/near the heater core.
You've also added a condenser in front of the radiator. That's going to obstruct airflow through the radiator, lessening the efficiency of your fans. Atop that, when hot weather arrives, the air you're pulling through the radiator will be preheated by the condenser. I'm guessing the AC system came with a relay to run the fans whenever the AC is used; it's there for a reason.

One more thing I rarely see mentioned: The thermostat itself. This is a factory air-cleaner decal from a '70s CB300:

T-stat Decal.jpg

It was made by Robertshaw for Chrysler. The design of the stat was so important ("WILL" rather than "MAY" CAUSE OVERHEATING) they included a drawing of what it should look like. It's no longer available new anywhere; NOS is the only option. Sounds terrible, but several other vendors sold the Robertshaw unit under their own names and part numbers (Purolator, Atlas, even CarQeest at one point) so they're still out there. Cross-references are only good if the stat looks like the diagram above.
Does it make a difference? With dramatically increased flow, it certainly should. My '69 Valiant has a 10.x:1 340 w/painted headers, a shroudless thermal 5-blade clutch fan and a cheap 22" Chinesium/aluminum radiator. The VDO mechanical gauge stays at 180° like the needle's welded in place with ambient temps above well over 90°. The factory dash gauge is similarly steady (both gauges work simultaneously) and I've verified with an IR heat gun. I can't swear it's the 'stat, but when the ambient air is 98°, the car's motionless and running, and the needle stays planted like that, I'm not trying something else.

Clutch design is the best. Always wondered if the 5 blade mopar performance fan vs 8 blade factory is just as good or 8 blade superior?

I have the overheating issue with my 67 Dart 360 with and E fan attached to the mopar radiator, no shroud and a Trans cooler in the front of radiator.

If I were to convert to a clutch fan set up what should I get? Is there a kit out there?

Clutch design is the best. Always wondered if the 5 blade mopar performance fan vs 8 blade factory is just as good or 8 blade superior?
I have the 5-blade fan and it works quite well (see above).

The "MP" fan is just relabeled OE factory police/fleet equipment.

Just a question rusty will a 160 t stat be sufficient to prevent engine wear? In other words will engine get hot enough to not wear parts for running too cool? I hope I make sense in what I ask.
As long as you tune the engine for it, it will be fine, yes.

Two things come to mind here, one of which @Dana67Dart mentioned: Did you get the system fully bled after the AC was installed? Lack of hot air at the dash hints at an air pocket in the system at/near the heater core.
You've also added a condenser in front of the radiator. That's going to obstruct airflow through the radiator, lessening the efficiency of your fans. Atop that, when hot weather arrives, the air you're pulling through the radiator will be preheated by the condenser. I'm guessing the AC system came with a relay to run the fans whenever the AC is used; it's there for a reason.

One more thing I rarely see mentioned: The thermostat itself. This is a factory air-cleaner decal from a '70s CB300:

View attachment 1716028465

It was made by Robertshaw for Chrysler. The design of the stat was so important ("WILL" rather than "MAY" CAUSE OVERHEATING) they included a drawing of what it should look like. It's no longer available new anywhere; NOS is the only option. Sounds terrible, but several other vendors sold the Robertshaw unit under their own names and part numbers (Purolator, Atlas, even CarQeest at one point) so they're still out there. Cross-references are only good if the stat looks like the diagram above.
Does it make a difference? With dramatically increased flow, it certainly should. My '69 Valiant has a 10.x:1 340 w/painted headers, a shroudless thermal 5-blade clutch fan and a cheap 22" Chinesium/aluminum radiator. The VDO mechanical gauge stays at 180° like the needle's welded in place with ambient temps above well over 90°. The factory dash gauge is similarly steady (both gauges work simultaneously) and I've verified with an IR heat gun. I can't swear it's the 'stat, but when the ambient air is 98°, the car's motionless and running, and the needle stays planted like that, I'm not trying something else.
That is a high flow designed thermostat. Stewart Components makes the best ones. Looks just like it. That's what I run. To quote our Ratty friend, they flow like Niagara Falls.....and he's right. They flat WORK. You cannot tell people that though, who are bound and determined to be stuck in the past and absolutely refuse to listen to common sense. Thanks for posting that.

That is a high flow designed thermostat. Stewart Components makes the best ones. Looks just like it. That's what I run. To quote our Ratty friend, they flow like Niagara Falls.....and he's right. They flat WORK. You cannot tell people that though, who are bound and determined to be stuck in the past and absolutely refuse to listen to common sense. Thanks for posting that.
It's the OE design Mopar used in the musclecar era. I have 160°/180°/195° NOS Mopar thermostats in boxes with the parts-books numbers from '66-'80 or so (both diameters) and they're all of that design. It's also what came out of my untouched 15K-mile motorhome 440. Chrysler's vendor was Robertshaw. Robertshaw also sold them in the aftermarket for a long time; I was still getting them from Summit in the late 1990s but they're all gone now. The brand names mentioned above were all rebranded Robertshaw; I have Atlas, CarQuest, RoadKing and Texaco versions. All are identical. There are also OE Ford and I-H versions. Apparently the 351C and some Cornbinder engines are very finicky about thermostats, particularly the Cleveland.

I believe Stewart Manufacturing bought the Robertshaw tooling. They no longer directly make them in the musclecar-era Mopar size, though. They only service the '78-up style (Chevy-size) thermostat; the earlier large-diameter Mopar stat they sell now is a Chevy part glued into a plastic disc. Regardless, even NOS ones are usually far less expensive than the Stewart, which was around $25 last I checked. I won't speak to/against Stewart's quality because I've not used one, but Stewart has a fine reputation and is an Upper Michigan company so I'm a bit of a fan.

I'm glad you mentioned Stewart, @RustyRatRod, because someone else offers a similar-looking thermostat: Mr. Gasket. BUT, the Mr. Gasket part is an overseas copy, and a really poor one. It's obvious that it's not a Robertshaw/Stewart-made unit because it is not all-brass/copper. The frame is nickel-plated steel. They have a staggering failure rate--probably greater than 75%. Do not waste time or money on the Mr. Gasket thermostat.

If it's not all-brass construction, keep looking. Trust me on this. What you want looks like this:

100_3446.JPG

PLEASE do not PM me asking to buy a thermostat. Thanks.

Well that's funny, because I have four Stewart Components thermostats here that I bought just this year from Stewart. They're all still available right on their web site.

From milodons website regarding the design of the thermostat pictured above

" The "Balanced Sleeve" design is essential for use with High Volume water pumps as it equals the pressure exerted on the thermostat so its operation is solely regulated by coolant temperature. On other thermostat designs, the increased flow generated by High Volume water pumps can actually attempt to hold the thermostat closed"

Well that's funny, because I have four Stewart Components thermostats here that I bought just this year from Stewart. They're all still available right on their web site.
A few years back, all they had were the Chevrolet-sized part glued into a plastic or phenolic disc to adapt. It was pictured on the site, and upon both visiting and calling (they were customers of mine) I was told that was all they had available at that time. They must've reintroduced them in the meantime. I haven't looked in awhile. That's a beautiful thing, as is buying direct from EMP. Good folks over there.

That being said, $30 is nearly three times what I've paid for any of my NOS ones. Still, I think the design is worth the expense if you can't find NOS. It was important enough for Chrysler to specify and install as OE, as well as print and install the decal I posted.

@Dana67Dart, I think Milodon kinda has it backward. I'd go with the thermostat first, for one simple reason: The thermostat is the primary restriction in the cooling system. The water pump can only really flow what the 'stat allows. Hence, with the higher-flow thermostat, a standard pump should automatically flow more. If the pump is trying to move more than the thermostat can flow the pump will cavitate, particularly in a non-bypass system. Cavitation is hard on pump components, especially the impeller. If the increased flow capacity of the thermostat doesn't solve the issue, then consider a high-flow pump to use that increased flow capacity.
I'd do the 'stat first regardless: It's way easier and less expensive than a pump change!

A few years back, all they had were the Chevrolet-sized part glued into a plastic or phenolic disc to adapt. It was pictured on the site, and upon both visiting and calling (they were customers of mine) I was told that was all they had available at that time. They must've reintroduced them in the meantime. I haven't looked in awhile. That's a beautiful thing, as is buying direct from EMP. Good folks over there.

That being said, $30 is nearly three times what I've paid for any of my NOS ones. Still, I think the design is worth the expense if you can't find NOS. It was important enough for Chrysler to specify and install as OE, as well as print and install the decal I posted.

@Dana67Dart, I think Milodon kinda has it backward. I'd go with the thermostat first, for one simple reason: The thermostat is the primary restriction in the cooling system. The water pump can only really flow what the 'stat allows. Hence, with the higher-flow thermostat, a standard pump should automatically flow more. If the pump is trying to move more than the thermostat can flow the pump will cavitate, particularly in a non-bypass system. Cavitation is hard on pump components, especially the impeller. If the increased flow capacity of the thermostat doesn't solve the issue, then consider a high-flow pump to use that increased flow capacity.
I'd do the 'stat first regardless: It's way easier and less expensive than a pump change!
I think it's well worth the money! On the slant 6 though, you have to grind the stock thermostat hole just a tad bigger for it to fit.

, I think Milodon kinda has it backward.
I think what they are saying is the pressure on the engine side of the t stat does not try to keep the t stat closed due to its design. That way the thermostat wax pill does not have to push against any pressure from a high flow water pump.

I think what they are saying is the pressure on the engine side of the t stat does not try to keep the t stat closed due to its design. That way the thermostat wax pill does not have to push against any pressure from a high flow water pump.
Different interpretations of the same wording, I guess, with neither one being wrong. To me it came across as an add-on sales pitch for high-flow water pump users: "If you're gonna use one of those, you gotta have one of these!" It is a good suggestion. I'd just try a simple thermostat swap first, before expending the money and effort of a high-flow pump swap. That's just my inner cheap-*** slacker doin' his thing.

@mopardude318: It's $8 cheaper directly from EMP/Stewart. No point in paying more than necessary. That link also says that "Robert Shaw" [sic] is actually making them, and Stewart is somehow modifying them. Robertshaw doesn't sell them anywhere else, so I'm guessing there's an exclusivity contract in place.

It bears repeating: Despite looking right, the Mr. Gasket version should be avoided at all costs.

I have the overheating issue with my 67 Dart 360 with and E fan attached to the mopar radiator, no shroud and a Trans cooler in the front of radiator.

If I were to convert to a clutch fan set up what should I get? Is there a kit out there?
Mopar used to offer a fan and clutch thru the Direct connection catalog. It did nothing for my engine.

Here's what my 4.040bore, 400hp, 367 has run since year 2000/2001 or so, and with no issues (A833, 3.55s, GVod)
>Milodon 8 vane pump, with it's anti-cavitation plate, and big pump shaft/bearing, necked down to pilot any standard fan; bolts right on.
>Hi-flo stat; I run a 195
>7-blade all-steel clutch-fan, off a 318 Dart with A/C
>Ford Thermostatic Clutch off an early 2000s pick-up in standard rotation.
> all molded hoses, with the anti-collapse spring in the lower one.
> restricted bypass hose
> tired old rad off the same mid-70s 318 Dart, I think it's a 26", but
> installed in the standard 22" core support.
> yes with the Dart shroud as well
> an overflow-type catch can, that sucks the coolant back in as the engine cools.
> I run a 7pound cap up here in Southern Manitoba, with a 50/50 coolant mix
> the KB 107s are in at .0035, and the top ring was opened up to .032
> I run a cold-air intake pulling air down thru a big hole in the hood; you cannot imagine how hard a decision that was, to make.
>the ignition timing is; 14@ idle increasing to 28*@2800, (two-stage curve), slowing to 34*@3400 (alloy heads)
> My Vcan has been modified to 22*, and it comes in asap.
> Cruise timing at 2800 is thus 28+22=50*
> I have a stand alone, dash-mounted, timing-delay box with a range of 15degrees. I install it, adjusted for 6advance/9 retard. So when cruising, I add the 6 to the 50 and she cruises at 56*@2800. When Idling around the parking lot or parading, I take away the 9 from the 14, leaving her with 5*, which allows her to pull herself at 4mph@550rpm, or 3.5@500..... but at 500 a dime on the pavement will want to slow her down, lol
>BTW
Cruising at 65=2240rpm, which is with overdrive, the timing is 14+10+22+6=52*..... which is still Not optimum, but close enough for local runs.
The point is this; even retarded to 5* and idling at just 550/500, the temperature does not vary at all.
Do you need this set-up?
Probably not, so just pick the parts that you know you will need; like at least a 5-blade all-steel, hi-attack angle fan, and the Ford HD Thermostatic clutch which is self regulating and deadly accurate; I highly recommend it.
BTW
that Dart rad is so old and decrepit, , even the patches have patches on them; so don't let anyone tell you that you need a big fancy 4-row all-aluminum rad. .

I looked back through my records/receipts/photos to see what I have on the '69. I used a Hayden #2947 clutch with a 5-blade fan from (I believe) an '85 Gran Fury AHB. The engine has the '70-up accessory drives/water pump, with little clearance to the matching-year eBay-sian 22" molded-tank aluminum radiator. The Hayden clutch is both HD and low profile. It includes an adapter to fit the Mopar pump pilot, which required some trimming to make it sit flush (side of the bench-grinder wheel for a couple of seconds). There is no fan shroud.
I have less than 5/8" clearance between the clutch fins and the core, but as mentioned in a previous post, it stays nailed @ 180°.

100_3414.JPG

I wish I had the room for a clutch fan. There would sure be one in there.

I wish I had the room for a clutch fan. There would sure be one in there.
I didn't think I'd be able to fit one either. I bought electric fans, but then I found that clutch digging through the Hayden spec book. It's only 2.71" from the mounting surface to the highest part of the face.

Comparison to a stocker (background):

100_3409.JPG

I didn't think I'd be able to fit one either. I bought electric fans, but then I found that clutch digging through the Hayden spec book. It's only 2.71" from the mounting surface to the highest part of the face.

Comparison to a stocker (background):

View attachment 1716028752
Mine just has the stock 4 blade fixed fan and it never gets more than about 1/8 the way up on the temp gauge.

I also think "regardless" of the reason, a high flow thermostat should be accompanied by a high flow water pump. That way, you're taking advantage of the extra flow the thermostat can handle.

The high flow stats. There were four that I know of being sold: Robert Shaw, Mr. Gasket, Milodon, Stewart Components. Most likely all made in the same factory, only difference was the 'box' they went into....
I even have been using them for decades. I even have a rare 140* marine version.
The all brass construction pic in post #34 is the original US made stat.
The newer ones with the s/s bridge across the top are the Chinese ones. I have had a few of these that failed to open. The reason is because the rubber seal in the base of the large cup is a little tight. I dribble some ATF in there to lube the seal & after a couple of heat up/cool down cycles they work fine & are reliable.

I've got the March matched pulley setup on my 360 with Vintage heat and air. Aluminum radiator with Electric fan on the outside blowing in. While rolling it runs around 185 goes up to 200 pretty quick when stopped and also when I run the AC..was going to 230, added more timing and it's better but not 100% yet. Still chasing the right setup!!

I made a shroud for my Dart with a Dart board lol. Made a big difference.Fan blades need to be half in half out of the shroud .

187.jpg

189.1.jpg

189.jpg

191.jpg

192.jpg

194.jpg

197.jpg

198.jpg

199A.jpeg

-
Back