Vehicle security for long road trip

-
IMHO:
Remove a tire and bring it into your room at night. Leave it on a jack stand or make a bolt to the lugs adapter like a club foot.

2nd idea is a chain bolted thru the yoke on the drive shaft to the wheel. Again jacking up to prevent the car from being moved. I saw a guy once mount an air horn under the hood under the battery tray with a removable switch he placed just under the tire. If the car moved backwards (like being towed) it made the contacts and set off the air horn. If you nose into to the spot. The switch went under the back of the tire. If you back in it goes under the front of the tire. Simple plug in set up.

If the car being stolen is that mentally debilitating; then don’t take the car. Luckily people are mostly good but the bad are really bad. I hope that makes sense.
I wish you well on your journey.
Syleng1

Another thought is to park car in spots backwards with parking brake on. If thief lifts from front they have to drag the car.

Also not mentioned is locking the hood in some way.

Use a 3/8 quality tow chain of sufficient length and a high quality pad lock. Chain up the car to a light pole, another car, tree, whatever. Chain the car in such a way that the lock is not easily accessible. Wrap the chain both ends then lock
I use to chain and pad lock my truck to a tree and one day forgot I had it chained and pulled out, had a large pad lock and it snapped very easy, so chain it right
Kill switch, hood lock, steering wheel lock, alarm and a lo-jack tracking devise and use a good outdoor car cover ......Plenty of insurance and make sure you have the proper coverage

"2 wheel chocks 1 front tire, 1 rear tire,(minimize a rollback theft) ring camera, and disable start system. And a tracker. I would think all bases are covered as best as you can."

"Remove a tire and bring it into your room at night. Leave it on a jack stand or make a bolt to the lugs adapter like a club foot."

Geeze, do any of you people ever actually drive your cars?

I have a tracker & I have insurance.... If I want to hit the road I hit the road....

How did that help/answer the OP's question? I drive my car thanks.
Oh and thanks for the contribution. :thumbsup:
"2 wheel chocks 1 front tire, 1 rear tire,(minimize a rollback theft) ring camera, and disable start system. And a tracker. I would think all bases are covered as best as you can."

"Remove a tire and bring it into your room at night. Leave it on a jack stand or make a bolt to the lugs adapter like a club foot."

Geeze, do any of you people ever actually drive your cars?

I have a tracker & I have insurance.... If I want to hit the road I hit the road....

How did that help/answer the OP's question? I drive my car thanks.
Oh and thanks for the contribution. :thumbsup:
It helped by pointing out paranoia needs to be avoided... If your so freaked out by the act of taking your car on a road trip that you plan to take the tires into your hotel at night you should probably consider getting get psychological help..

The man asked for suggestions on how to protect his car, he got postings that are so full of paranoia they do more harm than anything......

Take reasonable steps to protect the car, make sure your insurance is up to date & enjoy your adventure...

Again....THE OP ASKED for suggestions. So your suggestion is to do NOTHING preventative? Up your insurance aaaannnnnnd, cross your fingers? WTF are "reasonable steps"?? If that's your suggestion fine, but dont ridicule people offering suggestions to the OP. :thumbsup: :icon_fU:
It helped by pointing out paranoia needs to be avoided... If your so freaked out by the act of taking your car on a road trip that you plan to take the tires into your hotel at night you should probably consider getting get psychological help..

The man asked for suggestions on how to protect his car, he got postings that are so full of paranoia they do more harm than anything......

Take reasonable steps to protect the car, make sure your insurance is up to date & enjoy your adventure...

Again....THE OP ASKED for suggestions. So your suggestion is to do NOTHING preventative? Up your insurance aaaannnnnnd, cross your fingers? WTF are "reasonable steps"?? If that's your suggestion fine, but dont ridicule people offering suggestions to the OP. :thumbsup: :icon_fU:
Check post 41...And 43 and just to return the favor :icon_fU:... Pay attention & quit flipping the bird, it's rude...

So, just sit back (after your contributions) and criticize/ridicule :thumbsup:
Only people ever told me what to do were Mom, Dad and Grampa...you?? Not a fuckin chance...
You ain't seen rude yet lol:icon_fU::elmer:
Check post 41...And 43 and just to return the favor :icon_fU:... Pay attention & quit flipping the bird, it's rude...

I doubt most of the people that posted actually have or would take their car on the road overnight.

Alan

A big Fat Tow Chain, wrapped through the wheels, K member, and around the rear end. Lock it to something Permanent, with Cameras, and use the The Club, plus a Bad Badass alarm! Don't buy a cheap lock!

To be fair though, the OP wants to go on a long road trip with his wife. This would indicate multiple nights in hotels/motels. Jacking up the car and taking a wheel (or maybe 2 just to be extra safe haha) into the room every night would quickly get tiring and would probably piss the wife off so no hanky panky for him that night. The motel owner might not be too happy either if you have a dirty wheel on the carpet or leaning against the wall.
Then you have to put the thing back on again each morning.
By day 3 he'll be hoping the car does get stolen...

Did I recommend taking a tire off? If it were me I would use it as a learning experience to teach the wife how to take it off.:rolleyes:
To be fair though, the OP wants to go on a long road trip with his wife. This would indicate multiple nights in hotels/motels. Jacking up the car and taking a wheel (or maybe 2 just to be extra safe haha) into the room every night would quickly get tiring and would probably piss the wife off so no hanky panky for him that night. The motel owner might not be too happy either if you have a dirty wheel on the carpet or leaning against the wall.
Then you have to put the thing back on again each morning.
By day 3 he'll be hoping the car does get stolen...

Park next to a lamp post and 3/8 chain your axle to it if you'r real paranoid.

Just don't forget or you'll "American Graffiti"
I've chained a lot of stuff up. It works. Also put a kill switch on it and don't let anyone see you use it.

Car alarm warning stickers

If you don’t have an alarm a Blue LED flashing light visible to someone looking into the car Will deter a thief.

Mount the Club.

If the battery is in the trunk install a kill switch between the starter and the battery.

If you have an MSD the white wire when grounded will disable the MSD. Not sure on the Ready to Run Dizzys. Beware, grounding the MSD box with the white wire will sometimes damage the electronics. Carry a spare box.

Some type of self powered GPS tracker

Ask the front desk if you can park in front of the main entrance

Bottom line thiefs look for the least amount of resistance. Seeing just the visuals will most likely cause them to pass.

Last edited:
what in the world are these clubs you people keep mentioning ?

auto_x2_v2.jpg

I remember seeing some really cool NOS Chrysler Electronic Security decals on Ebay a few years ago for inside the window used on early 70’s Imperials.

I would love to find some of those decals.

7B36CB4D-1E0C-4479-8434-46E0F2F58173.png

I saw a car thief on 20/20 TV show cut the steering wheel rim with a hacksaw in 3 strokes and throw that club in the back seat.

Have you ever cut anything with a hacksaw in three strokes? (including soft plastic)

Have you ever cut a steering wheel?

The "club defeat" hack I saw back in the 90's used a can of freon to freeze the small diameter area of the hardened shaft, and then hit it with a hammer and it broke like glass.

-
Back