vent window

-

tekslk

Reaction score
I have a vent window wind whisle that drives my wife crazy. When wing is open its not noisy, is there aadjustment or anything that can be done. When wing is closed is when I get the noise, I can here it from drivers seat.

I have no problem buying new gaskets if thats what it needs but they dont look bad how can you tell?

There's really no adjustment on the latch without modifying it. Try this next time you drive it pull in on the latch while the vent is closed and see if it quits whistling. When the latch gets sloppy it will not close as tight as it should or when the gasket gets old it tends to shrink a little. The redneck fix is to put a paper shim between the latch and frame:-D

So Im assuming your telling me to buy new gaskets to make it right? Are they hard to change?

So Im assuming your telling me to buy new gaskets to make it right? Are they hard to change?
They can be a pain. I changed mine when the whole assembly was out. I think you need to pull the frame out. After that,Take the glass out. There is a little roll pin in the bottom that acts as a stop, pull that, unscrew the pivot at the top and slide the glass out. after you get the old one out, start at the corner and push it in all the way. I used a little grease as lube, just keep working your way around. Make sure it gets seated all the way in. Takes time and it's a pain. I bought after market ones for a 66 dart. took the old ones out and put the new ones in and they were bad fit. So, I pulled those out and put the old ones back in.
Honestly, I would take a match book and wedge it in the latch before I went through the trouble!

It sounds like I need hot weather and just open the dam things. Now we will have to think about this. soft seal shows a WR2307

I love the little wind whistle coming from my wing window. It's part of the nostalgia of driving an old car. Embrace it!

The soft seal gaskets are about the best ones out there if your gonna try to replace them I think they would be the ones to get. I haven't personally used
their vent window gaskets maybe someone who has will chime in.

Honestly, I would take a match book and wedge it in the latch before I went through the trouble!

:thumrigh: I agree with this. The aftermarket gaskets never seem to fit as well as the originals IMO.

Well its still winter here and I have time to try to change them, if I still have the noise Im only out 100 bucks I guess.

Ordered new seals today, Its gotta make things better than it was. They cant be that bad to change.

To pull the vent frames you will need to un do the front of your door weatherstrip from the door to expose a bolt near the top of the door, look where it is at in the slot before removing. below that bolt on the front of the door there is a round rubber plug bout the size of a fifty cent piece take the plug out and undo the adjusting nut, take note of the position.
you will be cussing but you can do it

Ordered new seals today, Its gotta make things better than it was. They cant be that bad to change.

I'd mark your bolt locations in removing the vent assembly. I cleaned the heck out of mine but forgot to mark them ..took forever to adjust them to a good fit again. be careful of the small roll pin in the vent bottom piece, it's prone to breaking off and a bear to redrill.
Soften the replacement gasket by laying out in the sun or heating up "slightly in warm to medium hot water(no boiling or gasket a dead one) for a few minutes before trying to put them in the channel(use dish soap to slick it up a little too). If you have a small skewer like for kabobs made out of wood and cut with a chisel type edge or a plastic probe used in computer repair you can tuck the gasket in the channels easier with no marring of the gasket. Patience is the key. Check to see if there is any play in you handle.

If there is your going to get air no matter what. I drilled a hole in the tip of my latch handle and installed some plastic buttons that gave me more of a tension and the good part is you can pick em up at the hardware store in their hardware section where you get the nuts and bolts at. or just find some small delrin or hdpe plastic rod and drill a hole the same size in the tip of the latch and you have a lifetime supply of replacement tips.

-
Back