Very sad today.

-

hw612

The Mopar Martian.
Reaction score
Today i found out that the only cool local car hang out, is closing this sunday. i have been going to this place since before i could walk. every weekend april through october, this place was packed with hot cars to parking lots up to 2 miles down the road. it was also a big part of the car craft summer nats. now its closing 1 year before i get my license, this really sucks.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZf6iHaYOuI"]YouTube - MN Street Racing Bust 2004[/ame]

214613078_8d623ee679_z.jpg

1744617563_2a2ce3f890.jpg

20080528_porkysold_33.jpg

car-craft-2009-158-400x600.jpg

Might not be done yet. Saw in the StarTribune that some historical society and the MN Street Rod Association is trying to get it preserved or at the very least get the building and signage moved to the MN State Fair Grounds. Keep your fingers crossed.

Dan
72_340_Demon
Apple Valley, MN

Porky's closing? that's a shame. I'm going to Back to the Fifties this year. 3rd time for me. Never got near Porky's, always crowded. Twin cities is a fine gearhead destination!

That's a shame....I've eaten there myself a couple of times when I was in MN visiting. I'm sure there will be somewhere else for cruisin' and hangin' though, so don't get too bummed.

That does suck and it looked like a cool place to go and hang out. I'm sure another venue or establishment will pop up as the "new" place to go.

Nice vid, all kids in ricers. Strange , never got busted for street racing back in the day. Even had some cops watch once and let us off. Some of these "new" asian auto enthusiasts have ruined a lot of tradition.

last night the cops let everything go, hundreds of burnouts and antics last night.

last night the cops let everything go, hundreds of burnouts and antics last night.

Well at least the cops were cool about you guys having some fun on the last night. Looks like a real shame that it got closed though. Looks like it was a fun place.

Now this is great evidence of the need for a drag strip open late night. (kind of late night.....)

Nice vid, all kids in ricers. Strange , never got busted for street racing back in the day. Even had some cops watch once and let us off. Some of these "new" asian auto enthusiasts have ruined a lot of tradition.

Hmmm......the "gang task force" must have cleaned up all the other gang activity to be going after a bunch of kids on ricers.

Yeah, its illegal to street race. Its dangerous, no argument. And I am sure that there are some of those wingnuts stealing parts from each other....

But "gangs activity" ??
I just keep wondering about how many serious crimes were committed that night while all the cops were tied up making a dragnet to catch these "criminals".

Bummer about your local hotspot closing.....maybe someone will buy the place and reopen? Or is it being torn down for another shopping center to be built?

I remember going from Porky's to Porky's on Lake Street back in the 60's. Drag racing from light to light. Maybe hitting 60 or better. Looking back now that was STUPID.

Hmmm......the "gang task force" must have cleaned up all the other gang activity to be going after a bunch of kids on ricers.

Yeah, its illegal to street race. Its dangerous, no argument. And I am sure that there are some of those wingnuts stealing parts from each other....

But "gangs activity" ??
I just keep wondering about how many serious crimes were committed that night while all the cops were tied up making a dragnet to catch these "criminals".

Bummer about your local hotspot closing.....maybe someone will buy the place and reopen? Or is it being torn down for another shopping center to be built?
As hw612 mentioned, the light rail project is going down University and would disrupt business for over 2 years. Even after it's done there was no guarantee the area would come back so many of the business along there are thinking of closing up.

I'll miss it. Stoped there everynite after the Car Craft show. Was just nice to
get a bite to eat and LOOK at other cars.

Attachments

• 100_0899.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 201
  • 100_1320.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 218
  • 100_1321.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 213
I think there is an auction today for a bunch of stuff on the Porkys property, including all of the signs.

Turns out up here in N Alabama they can write you a 6 point ticket for reckless driving if you do a burnout or chirp hard when shifting. Reckless driving because you lost control of your wheels and let them spin.

Sheeze.

Just watched the video, sure did spend a whole lot of money for the few arrests they made. Sure they sent a message out. But talk about a waste of tax payers money. Shame about your hang out being closed......

Am I the only one who wants to neck punch that news douche?
I hate the media... I hate them with a passion.

But "gangs activity" ??

Oh don't worry, they got shut down couple years ago for stealing from drug dealers.

-
Back