VF Valiant coupe resto in Aus

-

ozmoparjoe

Reaction score
Hey all, here is my Valiant coupe im fixing up here in Melbourne Australia.
Body is real nice, apart from some small dents, there was next to no rust!
I purchased it with a 360 / 727, auto is gone as I plan to run a a833 4 speed, so for now im just working on the body, I have started welding up the side holes where the crappy skinny trim went. Here are some pics, ill keep posting as I go along.
Cheers. :burnout:

That is a very cool car! How rare are they over there? Also what year is your Valiant? It looks very similar to a 68 Dart over here.

That is a very cool car! How rare are they over there? Also what year is your Valiant? It looks very similar to a 68 Dart over here.

Thanks, yes its basically a Dart with different front sheetmetal, this one is a early 1970, its known as a VF Valiant, and are quite rare now, so im glad to have gotten my hands on this other one, which I plan to keep this time.

Cool car. Looks like a 69 Dart to me! Did they just add the letters on the trunk lid?

I never seen a right-hand driven Dart before. As it seems the only different is the K-frame!

Good luck with the project.

Very cool car.Where are the Aussie cars made?its always amazing seeing these cars and the differences from our cars to yours? good luck with the build.Keep us updated.

Cool car. Looks like a 69 Dart to me! Did they just add the letters on the trunk lid?

I never seen a right-hand driven Dart before. As it seems the only different is the K-frame!

Good luck with the project.
yeah basically its the same car, adding lettering and changing the front end a little, being right hand drive makes for good fun working with exhaust, some exhaust places dont like doing them!

Very cool car.Where are the Aussie cars made?its always amazing seeing these cars and the differences from our cars to yours? good luck with the build.Keep us updated.
The aussie Mopars were made here in Adelaide South Australia i think from 1963 to 1981.....they made some awesome cars.

hey guys, haven't been on for a while as I was a little unwell, but today I managed to put in a few hours and nearly finished welding up the body holes, and I believe I may have repaired the trunk torsion bar brackets (or whatever they are called), looks kinda crappy, but the only other option is replacing the whole lot.

Attachments

• 20150117_161442.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 1,009
  • 20141227_192406.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 927
  • 20150117_101721.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 955
  • 20150117_111832.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 974
  • 20150117_111840.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 960
Hi ozmoparjoe
another aussie here with a 5/1970 vg regal 770 hardtop in the build process have got mine painted just doors and front guards to do, have 360 with 904 in mine, i will be trying some slight mods on my front guards (fenders)
The body is a 1969 dodge dart from the windscreen back they only fitted the australian front onto them they were brought in as knocked down kit for the australian production that is why a sedan windscreen will not fir the hardtops, i cannot remember if i have build thread on here or not but i do on moparmarket.com

Hi ozmoparjoe
another aussie here with a 5/1970 vg regal 770 hardtop in the build process have got mine painted just doors and front guards to do, have 360 with 904 in mine, i will be trying some slight mods on my front guards (fenders)
The body is a 1969 dodge dart from the windscreen back they only fitted the australian front onto them they were brought in as knocked down kit for the australian production that is why a sedan windscreen will not fir the hardtops, i cannot remember if i have build thread on here or not but i do on moparmarket.com
Hey Peedee, nice to see another aussie here, what state are you in? Im in Melbourne, my coupe is a Jan 70 build, I have a 360 and plan on running a 4 speed, but the guy I was supposed to be buying the manual setup from hasn't got back to me, you probably know him from moparmarket, Ray Bell.

Cool right hand drive Mopars.

I'm in Tennessee and Ray Bell stopped in for a visit last June, hopefully he'll be able to help you out.

For peedee and ozmoparjoe - I've picked up a couple of Safari/Ute taillight bezels and I see PP&R has the lenses. Are there any other places that carry them less expensive than PP&R? I spend a little tiume lurking around moparmarket (same username) and have picked up some good tips on running Webers and SUs.

FWIW I was lucky enough to get to Darwin 4 different times in 81/82 - loved it there!

I too have noticed that the dart/valiant cars are similar but with different titles in Australia. Here is a question for you. There are parts still being made in Australia and not here and vice versa. Two questions. Could you check and possibly send a link to me for a dash speaker grille and a fuel tank for a 1962 plymouth valiant. I know a company Bluestarspares made the speaker grille but I see they are closed. Any. Info is appreciated. good luck on the project. You are saving yet another piece of history for the next generation.

I too have noticed that the dart/valiant cars are similar but with different titles in Australia. Here is a question for you. There are parts still being made in Australia and not here and vice versa. Two questions. Could you check and possibly send a link to me for a dash speaker grille and a fuel tank for a 1962 plymouth valiant. I know a company Bluestarspares made the speaker grille but I see they are closed. Any. Info is appreciated. good luck on the project. You are saving yet another piece of history for the next generation.

hi Petrilloa, I had a look but was unable to find anything at all! I know Blue Star Spares are finished, but unless you want to go for used stuff, I really don't know anyone who reproduces them, sorry.

Very cool car. its always amazing seeing these cars and the differences from our cars to yours? good luck with the build.Keep us updated.

X2
Things that pop out to me is that the steering box is not bolted to the K member but is way back there. Another thing is what looks like a Valiant emblem in the steering wheel center. I'm assuming they were not Dodge or Plymouth but Chrysler cars down there.

X2
Things that pop out to me is that the steering box is not bolted to the K member but is way back there. Another thing is what looks like a Valiant emblem in the steering wheel center. I'm assuming they were not Dodge or Plymouth but Chrysler cars down there.

That's correct, the steering box is bolted directly to the chassis rail, common for them to rust out there, also you are right about the emblem on the steering wheel, these were sold simply as Valiant, (by Chrysler), several different models to choose from, the standard, Regal, 770, I think there was a VIP as well in the VF series, available in sedan, coupe, utility, and station wagon, as far as I know the available engines were, 225 slant, 245 straight six hemi, and 318 fireball, 3 speed auto or 3 speed manual column shift.

-
Back