VF Valiant coupe resto in Aus

-
Wow! That's a neat permutation on a USA Dart! Looks like it's turning out well with a lot of the "crap" business now taken care of. The rest should be more pleasurable.

Thanks DR HEMI, the engine bay is now primed, will sand soon then blast it with color!

Attachments

• 11230226_10207099496155238_1362878098336785079_n.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 381
  • 11351392_10207099495595224_1378275369681232795_n.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 379
she looks in pretty good shape mate

Yeah she is very good nick. No rust in the usual spots like plenum and so on. I did find today the usual chassis rail rust at the steering box but luckily its hasn't spread too far.

Im stripping some panels back to bare metal and then coating in exotic 408 epoxy primer next weekend. Fingers crossed it goes fine as Ive never done anything like this nor used a s p r a y gun.
Was going to do the car in 1K but everyone keeps telling me to do 2K. So a spray painter mate will lay the colour coats and high fill for me in a booth.

Yours is coming along nicely. Are you going 1K paint on yours?

Yeah she is very good nick. No rust in the usual spots like plenum and so on. I did find today the usual chassis rail rust at the steering box but luckily its hasn't spread too far.

Im stripping some panels back to bare metal and then coating in exotic 408 epoxy primer next weekend. Fingers crossed it goes fine as Ive never done anything like this nor used a s p r a y gun.
Was going to do the car in 1K but everyone keeps telling me to do 2K. So a spray painter mate will lay the colour coats and high fill for me in a booth.

Yours is coming along nicely. Are you going 1K paint on yours?

definitely going 2k, its just easier, just be sure if your not spraying in a booth with a air fed mask, make sure you have the best possible mask for the job, and be aware of your neighbours as im sure your aware 2k paints are very nasty, wear rubber gloves too if you can, if your not too sure, do some research online, theres plenty info on it.
I was initially going to use a polyester primer but have just decided against it as its just too difficult, like conditions need to be correct etc..............

That engine bay will be so smooth mate, are you going to hide the wiring ?? or go for the stock look,? hiding it would be the best bet if you can, i have hidden a lot of it in my VC sedan, and it makes a huge difference to an engine bay.

That engine bay will be so smooth mate, are you going to hide the wiring ?? or go for the stock look,? hiding it would be the best bet if you can, i have hidden a lot of it in my VC sedan, and it makes a huge difference to an engine bay.

to be honest, I was thinking of doing hidden wiring, but that means I would of had to weld up all unused holes and im unsure where or how to run all the wiring, might still have a crack at it once the front is all back together!

i was planning to rub back the engine bay tonight when I got home from work, but ended up shooting it with paint! One more job out of the way :)

Attachments

• 20150603_200918.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 343
  • 20150603_195820.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 348
Coming along nice there mate, from experience, every little job you do, is one step closer to getting her done, and enjoying it!!
That engine bay has come up a treat.

Coming along nice there mate, from experience, every little job you do, is one step closer to getting her done, and enjoying it!!
That engine bay has come up a treat.

thanks Deecee, kinda ticked off a little that some crap flying around in the air has landed in the paint, but ill just have to live with it.............

some more progress today.....

Attachments

• 6 (1).jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 309
  • 5.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 314
  • 4 (1).jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 310
  • 2.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 308
  • 3.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 299
  • 1.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 309
It's one downfall doing it your self, we usually don't have access to a booth, so the good ol shed has to make do, but that include the crap flying around to unfortunately.
That yellow is gonna POP on that thing mate.

Agreed,with above post. Bodywork takes FOREVER, when you do it yourself. I prefer the brighter colors, on the A body Mopar's, the darker metallic paints on E & B bodies,personal tastes. Nice job,mate....

thanks guys, Today I did some fiddly bits, primered some parts ready for paint hopefully tomorrow......

Attachments

• 20150613_151214.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 280
  • 20150613_151204.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 295
  • 20150613_151154.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 299
  • 20150613_151149.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 287
  • 20150613_151134.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 290
Hi all, well im both happy and peeved today, I was planning to hang both doors and guards back onto the hardtop, well I managed to hang the right door on but when I put the striker on I wasn't able to adjust it at all as it was stuck in that one spot! I ended up having to cut the whole plate out and that's when I realised that someone had previously tried to do a repair there and actually welded the adjuster "nut" to the car body! Oh well, one more job.

Attachments

• 20150621_164202.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 344
  • 20150621_164211.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 285
  • 20150621_164224.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 308
What a bugger!!! But i suppose that is what happens with these old cars, loaded with surprises. And yes. it will look great with the all black interior too.

thanks guys, tonight I managed to hang the other door on but ran out of daylight so had to stop, and I cant do it in the garage as I have my Plymouth in there and cant move it at the moment, im hoping to have the drivers side striker section repaired during this week (including primered) and ill repaint it on the weekend, providing the weather allows.

Hi mate,
I just read your thread so far. Your doing an awesome job.
Love the colour.

Cheers mate, another Aussie awesome!
Had a busy day today, repaired the door striker area on the pillar and primered, bare metaled the bonnet, welded up some damaged areas, welded up the badge holes and epoxy primered, hoping to do some more repairs on it tomorrow......

Attachments

• h.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 251
  • g.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 281
  • f.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 261
  • e.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 260
  • d.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 305
  • c.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 302
  • b.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 270
  • a.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 281
Looking good there will be a nice car when done, i have read through this thread before and thought i had commented but cannot seem to find a post.
Any way good on you from a VG hardtop owner in Aus

Looking good there will be a nice car when done, i have read through this thread before and thought i had commented but cannot seem to find a post.
Any way good on you from a VG hardtop owner in Aus

thanks peedee, yes im pretty sure you had commented here before.
Anyway, today I did a few more bits and pieces, slowly but surely getting there..............

Attachments

• a.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 271
  • b.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 256
  • c.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 287
  • d.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 241
-
Back