vibrating problem

-

schwinger

1972 Dodge Dart Swinger
Reaction score
Having trouble figuring out this vibration problem. Its bad on deceleration and neutral on the road, and its little on acceleration. i have a ford 8" in the rear and a dakota 5 speed and im using a 03 durango driveshaft with conversion ujoints. Need help with this because its driving me crazy!

cancel that, checked this morning and blew the **** out of the conversion ujoint to the rear so i put back my original driveshaft on with shims for now.

Maybe your Mopar is suffering from FTR....Ford Transplant Rejection! :vom:

I think so! lol For some reason i keep on wearing out the rear u joint to the ford 8". right now i have the stock driveshaft 7260 small ujoints with the rear one being a conversion u joint, and it goes out alittle over a month, (earlier if i floor it alot which i have a bad habit of doing:iconbigg:). already went thru 3 conversion u joints, tried an 03 durango drive shaft with conversion u on both ends hoping that would solve the problem but ended up destroying the rear u joint in a couple of days. Drive shaft was 1 1/2 shorter than mine so i ended up taking it back to where i got it. any reason to where im wearing the u joints out?

Maybe the driveshaft is not straight or the u-joint is mounting off-center? Pinion angle correct? Get the rear up in the air to check if the driveshaft is running true. You may have to set it down on stands under the axle housing to see what the pinion angle is and if it seems to bind. In neutral, you should be able to rotate the driveshaft by hand and it should feel smooth while you're doing it.

Ill check it out pretty soon. tired of destroying ujoints and the autoparts place is wondering why im destroying these.

1st where are you getting this detroit 7260 x 1330 special ? or are you using a 7260 x 1330 series in a flange yoke for the 8.8 ?
or a 1310 sbp flange yoke in 1310 x 7260 ?

Something isn't right, especially if it's 7260 x 1330s

Decel is to much negative angle, the cruise issue is also most likely related to angle, and also balance since none of that was on the shaft and it wasn't rebalanced with all the new changes.

You're starting out with tons of expected issues

Ill try to figure it out and post pretty soon on the problems, i only checked the angle on one spot on the rear part of the driveshaft and it only read 1 degree but i need to check it right again.

You can't check anywhere on the rear, it has to be at the pinion and the shaft.
That 8.8 is using a end yoke or companion flange ?

Ok got the measurements using the old protractor string thingy and at the end i get 86 (yoke u joint part facing up and down) and 89 (Yoke facing side to side) so that would be 3 degrees Right? and at the front i get 90 (Side to side) and 86 (up and Down) which would be 4 Degrees Correct?
I hope you guys can understand what im saying because i feel retarded telling you guys like this! :D
Its actually a Ford 8" rear end not the 8.8

The conversion u joint i used was the neapco 2-3100 (7260x1310) with the caps changed for the ford yoke. The shop i got the ujoint had to change the caps because they said the conversion for the Ford 8 inch to the 7260 doesnt exist.

Got another u joint from checker and their u joint is alittle bit bigger which fit right in the ford Yoke, ( i had to shim it before just to get around when i used the 7260 u joint from autozone). it was a temporary solution and blew the **** out of that.:banghead:

Im not exactly sure what you are saying so lets do it like this. . .

The pinion yoke is at how many degrees __

The shaft is at how many degrees __

Put the end yoke with ears up and down and measure across them top to bottom.

Then measure the shafts angle

Pinion yoke i need to check again

Shaft is 1 degree down from front to back.

Operating angle in the rear is 3 degrees and the front yoke going to the trany is 4 degrees.

I check both angles with yoke ears up and down and top to bottom

endyoke.jpg

Put the end yoke at that same orientation looking from the side, and put the angle finder from top to bottom across, just ignore that those 2 end yokes are against eachother.

Then that angle should be 3 to 4 degrees opposite the shafts angle...

So say front to \ back the shaft is running at this angle and at 1 degree \ the diff needs to be at 3 to 4 pointing under the shaft or /

I hate computers or that i never bothered to learn how to use them correctly

if it's 1 degree diff now then it's going up to 3 degrees diff under decel and up to 5 degrees opposite of that under accel

ok thens, So at rest it should be about 3 degress in the front \ and 5-7 degrees in the back to fix the problem right??

-
Back