vibration at 70 and over

-

wireweld

Reaction score
I have a vibration that starts at 60 but gets real noticeable at 70 and over. This has plagued me from day one. I thought it was the pinion angle but I have adjusted it every way I can with no improvement. I had leaf springs but now I am using the rms street lynx, but the vibration is still there. I have balanced the tires numerous times and am on the second convertor. The driveshaft has been done 3 times.
I am wondering if something in the tranny or motor is out of balance. Is this possible?
The motor is a 68 340 stroked to 416 and the tranny is a 904. The rear is a 8 3/4 with 4.10's. This is in a 72 dart. Street use only.
Help me , please. I am desperate.

A couple things you haven,t mentioned?Motor mounts?tranny mount?Could be the bearings in your rearend?Warped rotors,drums?Have you had the brakes done?Could be a number of things.Also how much mileage on the car?You,ve gone over alot already,just trying to help.

P.S Who,s doing all this rework?d.shaft 3X and 2 convertors?

To completely eliminate a tire or wheel problem, do you have another set you can use just for a road test?

Maybe borrowed.....

A good friend of mine told me that when you take the drive shaft out it has to be marked and put back in the same way. Maybe this is what has happened somewhere down the line.

spin balancers balance only the wheels and tires. They top out around 60 mph , more or less depending on tire diameter.
You could have a bad brake drum, or a bent wheel, or a slightly bent axle.
Take to someone who can run it overhead. They should find it.

Hers what I discovered. Someone had hammered on the axle flange, which caused the outside edge to mushroom, so the rim didn't mount flat which made it act like a bent axle.
Took the grinder to the flange and made it better. I think that I need to work on the pinion angle a little more to make it perfect.
Thank you all for the advice.

-
Back