vibration

-

terry

Reaction score
hi folks
well I have had a vibration for years but to narrow it down roughly the vibration Is there under acceleration and stops when I let off the gas pedal. the vibration gets worse the faster I go and it is not in the steering wheel just the body of the car. my rear view mirror in the car is so blurred I can not see. the rear end was done by dr. dif so I feel the pinion angle is good. the u joints feel good. I did have the drive shaft balanced years ago but not sure how good of a job he did. the shaft length is 49 inches and I can push it in the trans I inch when I remove it from the rear yoke. this is in a 68 barracuda 360 crate motor 8 3/4 with a 4 speed.

Well I heard you say the U-joints feel good, but your description points squarely at them. So, I'd be taking them apart for a look-see and or a repack.
And if they really are good, and there is no noise coming from the rear end, then I think d55dave hit it.

Could also be the weld yokes on the driveshaft are not aligned. Both u joints need to be in perfect alignment or it tries to twist the shaft out when it rotates under load resulting in a vibration.

I have another driveshaft I will try it is 48 inches long so a bit shorter but if I get different results then I will get the new joints on the first shaft. I did notice a lot of grease on my drive shaft loop which is at the end of the trans so maybe the bushing/seal is bad.

THERE IS A TON of vibration posts,take your pick,you should come up with something

thanks for the input. I haven't had a chance to drive it since I put in a different driveshaft. I will keep you updated after I drive it. thursday

hi folks well I drove the car today with a different drive shaft and it was worse. so I feel the first shaft front u joint seemed loose very easy to swivel so I think I will just have the shaft balanced and new u joints and see what happens. it did come out of a b-body that I had cut to length and balanced a long time ago but will try again.

hi folks, well I took my shaft to a driveshaft shop (25 years in business) and show him my driveshaft. once he saw the decal from the prior short lived shop that cut and balanced it for me many years ago he laughed and told me that was the problem. he figured he repaired/replace quite a few of this shops driveshaft's. anyway the shaft is out of balance in 2 spots and had 2 dents in it caused by the prior shop and had 3 weights on it already. sooooooooooo I just had him make a new one for me and that should end the vibration

problem fixed. it was the driveshaft that was made by the prior shop that is garbage. guess I should not have taken it for granted that it was good. but I was dealing with a few other suspension issues at the same time all could have been the problem.
thanks for all your help

-
Back