Vibration

-

GrizandLinna

Reaction score
I have a 1970 Dodge Dart Swinger with matching numbers 340 engine with a vibration. I think I found the source of my vibration and I have the right vibration damper on it. I took off the transmission inspection cover and come to find out that I have a different torque converter in it, painted orange and has weights on it. Instead of buying a new torque converter can I remove the weights from this and still use it? I have seen some Utubers changing torque converters with removed weights on them. I heard that is the only difference on the '71 and on up, mostly, is the torque converter weights. Is this feasible or am I being too cheap because it works just fine other than the vibration? Do you know of any venders for torque converters? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

How long has this been goin on.......

How long has this been goin on.......
I purchased this car last Christmas and didn't start working on it until April of this year. Been doing the normal stuff like radiator rebuild, drive shaft, new u-joints and balanced, carburetors and some electronics. I finally got it running and drivable and finally took it to an old school mechanic who stated I need a new torque converter to fix the vibration. It's had one rebuild by previous owner and he stated that it has always had that vibration since then. Transmission is not original, but it is a 727.

Don't they add weights to the torque converter to balance it even if it is neutrally balanced ?

Look at the balancer first and verify that it's a neutral balancer.

The "vibration damper" on the front of the crankshaft is properly called a harmonic damper. The vibrations it damps are not the kind you feel in the body or steering wheel of the car; they are the kind which would make the crankshaft subject to breakage like a wine glass shattering along with nearby eardrums when some opera singer hits a high note.

The kind of vibe you feel in the car: torque converter, driveshaft/U-joints, pinion angle, engine and transmission mounts, etc.

(of course if the harmonic damper is damaged, like there's a chunk missing out of it or it's got some weird balance problem, yeah, you might well detect that…)

-
Back