vic hubbard told me....

-

SRT_DSTRHOLC

Reaction score
A guy there told me that with the seat pressure of around 115-120 that i dont need to take my inner spring out during break in. He and my machinest told me the same things, so is this true??? or is it just SAFER to do so....

And they turned me on to royal purple break in oil.... any views?

Dual springs, not spring and damper combo, may use 1 spring to break in a cam since your only turning the engine under 3,000 RPM to break in the cam. After break in, reinstall the second spring.

If the pressure is low, you can do what they say.

yup they have around 120 seat pressure and i believe they are dual

Sorry, that don't sound right. Perhaps it is a spring and damper combo? No?

hmm i could have swarn i saw2 springs and a dampener but im not sure, they are magnum heads and the guy who sold them to me said he ran 11s with his cuda with them

OK, LOL, just checkin and makin sure. I beileve your eye. 120#'s isn't a whole lot. I could be wrong about it.

im running .524 exhaust lift and they said they should be good

It is the open pressure that causes the problems ,not the seat pressure.Keep the open pressure to no more than 280 and use a quality break-in oil.Joe Gibbs and Brad Penn are 2 that I know of that are excellent.Be sure to use a good oil even after the break-in.

It is the open pressure that causes the problems ,not the seat pressure.Keep the open pressure to no more than 280 and use a quality break-in oil.Joe Gibbs and Brad Penn are 2 that I know of that are excellent.Be sure to use a good oil even after the break-in.

I agree with Monte. I always use Brad Penn during the break-ins and afterwards as well. Also, as Rumble said, you may want to double check your springs and make sure you are not mistaking a dampner for an inner spring. How about posting a close-up pic?

Don't forget to check for valve guide/retainer interference, installed spring height and coil bind.

A spring checking tool will allow you to check your spring pressure at any given height. Summit sells them or you can bring them to your machinist.

Theres a neat little tool a machine shop has, you could get it yourself if you wanted to, that looks like a vertical press with a ft. lbs. gauge on it.

they had a thing that had a handle and squeezed the spring down so im guessing that was for the seat pressure

these are my valve springs so you tell me if they are ok to run

valvespring.jpg

Those are certainly dual valve springs with a damper. It still would be a good idea to check your installed and full lift pressures.

What spring pressures does your cam manufacturer recommend? Are they the same as your present springs? Will you experience spring bind or retainer/valve guide problems at full lift?

If everything is OK, you should be good to go.

-
Back