Vin - Fender tag

-

moparstud440

Reaction score
I have a buddy that has a 69 barracuda. Originally a 340 car, has # matching motors, trans, etc. Somewhere along the lines the fender tag got misplaced. All he has is the vin, no broadcast sheet, etc. Is there anyway to figure out what the Fender tag may of been from just the Vin #?

I have a buddy that has a 69 barracuda. Originally a 340 car, has # matching motors, trans, etc. Somewhere along the lines the fender tag got misplaced. All he has is the vin, no broadcast sheet, etc. Is there anyway to figure out what the Fender tag may of been from just the Vin #?
No. The only information is the last 6 of the vin which is the sequence of what order it was built (ie 255666.) The casting date of the engine is usually 2-3 months prior of the car being built. The trunk rail on my '69 has the body stamping date OD 69 1 (Outer Drive Jan '69) my fender tag has a build date of 2-26, but other than that it's a crap shoot of guessing without a fender tag or build sheet.

You could 'reverse engineer' the tag to a certain extent. Such as, the paint code, stripes, exhaust tips, etc. But to be 100% accurate that's likely not going to work. You technically can't get one made either.

Where is the place at Chrysler that you can get the IBM punch cards? I wonder if they could help. Chrysler Historical?

Pre-1968 IBM cards are potentially available from FCA.

68 and newer are not likely to be there, but you can always ask.

I know there is contact info on the B body side.

Also ask the Hamtrack historical he has a ton of fender tags and build sheets. @ta alaska

Chrysler had a fire that is reported to have destroyed '69 and later punch cards.

Chrysler had a fire that is reported to have destroyed '69 and later punch cards.
The fire is a myth. The truth is corporate asked the factories if they wanted to keep the old records and none of the factory‘s seen the need to keep them based on the age of the vehicles so they were discarde.

The fire is a myth. The truth is corporate asked the factories if they wanted to keep the old records and none of the factory‘s seen the need to keep them based on the age of the vehicles so they were discarde.
and yet the older cars are readily accessible.

Chrysler had a fire that is reported to have destroyed '69 and later punch cards
From the horses mouth...

"We have build records from 1930 – 1967 for passenger cars and 1930 – 1954 for Trucks. Anything before or after these years was never transferred to the archives and do not exist within the company. For some reason, the story of the fire within the Chrysler Archives is actually an “urban legend”. There was no fire that destroyed files within the archives. The build records that are missing were simply never passed along to the archives. We have searched for years to find them within the company and they appear to not exist"

Look at post 1 for contact info.

Danielle is very helpful.

Chrysler Historical new contact info.

From the horses mouth...

"We have build records from 1930 – 1967 for passenger cars and 1930 – 1954 for Trucks. Anything before or after these years was never transferred to the archives and do not exist within the company. For some reason, the story of the fire within the Chrysler Archives is actually an “urban legend”. There was no fire that destroyed files within the archives. The build records that are missing were simply never passed along to the archives. We have searched for years to find them within the company and they appear to not exist"

Chrysler Historical new contact info.
Apparently some did
1692739672927.png

Not sure if yours would have it or where, but I discovered today my 63 Valiant has a 'secondary ID', it was stamped in the rear seat brace (mine's a convertible), that had several digits of the VIN, and several off the fender tag.

Not sure if yours would have it or where, but I discovered today my 63 Valiant has a 'secondary ID', it was stamped in the rear seat brace (mine's a convertible), that had several digits of the VIN, and several off the fender tag.

'69 would have the last digits of VIN in the trunk rail and on radiator support; but that does not help him with fender tag. In an ideal world he would find his build sheet tucked into the springs of his back seat and it would tell him everything!

-
Back