Vin # HELP

-
I would not buy this with out getting it checked. Use the original vin. That would be BH29F8b100483.
That's not true! There is no full VIN on the fender tag in '68. The 100483 is the shipping order number.....not the sequence number. The only way to get the original VIN is from the broadcast sheet or from the original IBM card. They're the only place where both the VIN and shipping order number are together. Then you'd have to have the VIN plate made, new rosette rivets, and have them installed in a '68 dash interstructure with the lower dash pads, and a royal ***** of time at the DMV.

No matter what you pay for it, if you attempt to title it, the minute you sign the paperwork attesting to the fact that what you're signing is true and correct, you've committed a felony in just about every state. You can't sell it without committing another crime. And the hassles involved with bad VIN's and your state police (and possibly the feds) just aren't worth it. Buy it for parts... maybe. But don't try to title it or sell it. Best to let this one go to someone else. Let them have the headaches... and heartaches.

If I could get it cheap enough I'd just buy it, part it out and sell the body to someone to make a drag car out of it.. If the seller wants an arm and a leg for it I'd forget about it....

First of all Thank you for all the in put and time you guys have spent on looking up information on this car.
I am new to all this and it is confusing but you guys made it clear RUN Ridge RUN says it all.
I guess I will have to keep looking. I will also have to learn how to check Vin # with fender tag # and the # under the trunk weather strip. If you could direct me to a page to better understand this I would be very grateful.
I only want a 1968 Barracuda who ever thought it would be so hard.
Ridge

The reason to run is that who ever uses the 1969 VIN & title to register a 1968 model commited a felony. If he sells it, strike two, another felony. The car could be seized as evidence at any time.

If the '68 was stolen, hopefully the rightful owner gets it back. I have passed the info on the the NICB in CA, hopefully they can look into it & sorted it out.

I hope if car is stolen owner gets it back.
I have learned so much about this vin # thing I think I will feel safe when I buy a car now.
Thanks again for all your help
Ridge Great Web Site and Good Honest People

Ridge, Like everyone else said, I would walk, or run, away from that car. The tail lights, trunk trim, grille, front sheet metal around grille, side marker lights are all 1968. I could be wrong, but I thought that 1969 Cudas did NOT have thumbwheel radios in the dash. Not 100% on that one though. '68 Cudas also had a two piece lower dash pad. The tag in the window DEFINITELY signifies a 1969 Cuda. Smells fishy, even for a 'Barracuda'.
Good luck in your search, Dave

One more thing, 67 and 69 Cudas had the backup lights under the rear bumper, on either side of the license plate. 68 Cudas backup lights are part of the rear tail lights.

I was wrong about the radio. 69 Cudas DO have thumbwheel radios. This car is still a 1968 everything, except the dash tag which is 1969.

You Know it may not be stolen? Who knows, it may be a car sold without a tittle from a family member that passed away? And them some not so nice person said hey I got a 69 rusted out barracuda with a good tittle and Wha la! We have a car that can be tittled and tagged. IT IS STILL DEAD WRONG, DON'T TOUCH IT!

-
Back