VIN matching 68 cuda

-
You have WAYYYY to much confidence in the government workers who might perform this task.

The DMV here would laugh if you brought a car with that vin tag... as they were calling the CHP to have it impounded and arrest you.

There IS a way to find the correct VIN for that car, but, the person searching needs to get into a pretty significant database.

fyi... talked to the local detective work n charge of these things and was informed if it comes back not stolen they wll issue a sticker saying the vin is ok and the car is good to go from then on. so to all the know it alls....

So you ask a question and then there is a differance of opinion, so you call us know it alls? I have been where you are at was told everything is good to go. I had a real vin and a real vin tag.The final say so will be up to the Secretary Of The State Of FL. not any one at the DMV or State Police.If you are able to get this done with your homemade vin you will be more than likely be ran in circles and have to jump through hoops.I have done this several times and it only went smooth once.

GFY, Rather be called a know it all in this case than a knows nothing!

If the detective issues you a vin based on what you have, he's not smart and doesn't know **** either. But hey, not the first time.

Good luck to you... maybe you'll get screwed in the end, maybe not.

My final post for this genius level vin clusterf*ck...

"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know" - Marcus Tullius Cicero

I appreciate everyones help and input. some very helpful and some quite pessimistic. I have not decided wether or not to keep the car going to make my decision based on the property crimes detectives opinion and input. but for some to have negative things to say about someone whose job and training is in this particular field is just wrong. I got the cat because I love mopar and it was a obtainable car not to rebuild and sell for money but as a car I pick the options on and make my own. so why cant I be a fellow mopar lover and not some shady car owner?

Its funny the detective doesn't know anything but the minimum wage 20 year old secretary is the know all genius when it comes to 1968 VINs. And like I said the DMV never sees the car only the paperwork provided.

fyi... talked to the local detective work n charge of these things and was informed if it comes back not stolen they wll issue a sticker saying the vin is ok and the car is good to go from then on. so to all the know it alls....

Sure they did and good luck ever selling the car with that vin on it, no one in their right mind would buy it, doesn't matter how many stickers the state slaps on it.

If things are good, you need to get a state issued vin.

Pessimistic 20 year old secretary? I Build 68 Hemi Cars Everyday, Everyday! Not sit in the officer answering phones, out in the shop replacing .25's to painting cars. i dont care if you keep it or not, but FORGED, non vin cars are dangerous.

Good Luck

Good grief you are taking this personally. I'm not talking anything about you. I'm talking about out low level local government employees who sometimes get tasked with a vehicle serial number inspection. I know the VIN is wrong, I wouldn't buy it unless for parts until it was straight, but lots of people would buy it that way and never even look at the VIN. Yes it's wrong but our country is completely filled with idiots. Heck we elected a president with less inspection of his VIN then we've given this 68! LOL!

Good grief you are taking this personally. I'm not talking anything about you. I'm talking about out low level local government employees who sometimes get tasked with a vehicle serial number inspection. I know the VIN is wrong, I wouldn't buy it unless for parts until it was straight, but lots of people would buy it that way and never even look at the VIN. Yes it's wrong but our country is completely filled with idiots. Heck we elected a president with less inspection of his VIN then we've given this 68! LOL!

facepalm... LOL...

Lol, Awesome!!!!

Ummm.. the local sherrif here in town wont even walk out and look at the car, just runs the vin you give him and if it comes up clean, he signs off. Same with the Secretary of State, they just run the VIN you give them, and if it comes up clean, they issue you a title.

My brother was stopped at the Canada/US border while delivering a 67 Coronet we sold to a guy in Canada. The Border Patrol person held up my brother for over 2 1/2 hours because she simply couldn't put her head around the fact that the car only had 11 digits in the VIN, instead of the 14 or so commonly used now. This is after all of the paperwork was faxed 14 days in advance and they approved the transfer, in accordance with THEIR rules!!

He already has a title for the car, and may never even get stopped, but I agree that it will be a tough sell if he evers has to sell it!! Still ain't right though!! JMO, Geof

FYI
A very good friend of mine bought a triump basket case motor cycle at the flea market.
After he completly restored the bike, he went to register it, guess what stolen oer 20 years ago.
The state police found the original owner in FL the bike was in WV.
My friend did not get in trouble, but he had to give the bike back to the rightful owner.
The point I am trying to get across, you may plan on keeping it forever, but if someone can match up the body numbers, you can loose the car on the spot at any time. The law does not care that you put "X" amount of dollars in it, they will consider it stolen property, and you could get possible jail time, because you know right now that that the car is not legitamate.

thanks for the input I am waiting on sheriff to come and do a full evaluation of the car. I have spoken with him and he knows what to look for his specialty is in old cars. the car has also ben certified it maine and kentucky getting that paperwork tomorrow.as far as it being stolen I just dont see it.

as far as selling it. im not building a concourse resoration. im building it for a fun wow car 440 6pack 4 speed 8 3/4. so if I ever do sell it should sell on wow factor only. any thoughts on the build?

thanks for the input I am waiting on sheriff to come and do a full evaluation of the car. I have spoken with him and he knows what to look for his specialty is in old cars. the car has also ben certified it maine and kentucky getting that paperwork tomorrow.as far as it being stolen I just dont see it.

The car hasn't been certified to anything. It doesn't have a vin. That title has been certified, but it's just a piece of paper.

It's worth about as much as the paper I use to wipe my butt every morning.

as far as selling it. im not building a concourse resoration. im building it for a fun wow car 440 6pack 4 speed 8 3/4. so if I ever do sell it should sell on wow factor only. any thoughts on the build?

These are my thoughts. Don't spend a dollar on that car until you know you own it.

And the only "Wow Factor" it will ever have is "Wow, I'm not buying a car with a homemade vin tag."

-
Back